2022 Field of Dreams

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Seems dumb to me. I'm sure he'd have similar answers from the dugout while waiting to bat.
I struggled with this too. Seems like it'd be distracting to teammates, most notably his pitcher. I'd have to wonder if it even hinders him a bit, to take his mind off the game to answer questions thoughtfully while trying to focus on his job. A guy in the outfield, like Happ, who was awful, would be more ideal. Votto was interesting to listen to though, at least.

• Agree
Reactions: Dopey

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
It'll never be as magical as the first event but it's pretty sweet and a treat to Iowans to have in our state.

Assuming they'll do American League teams again in 2024....I think it'd be neat to see Twins/Redsox.
I'm with you but I'm guessing the Cardinals get the next crack at it. Cardinals against the Dodgers or Giants would be my guess for the next one.

Give me the Twins in Senators throwbacks against the Red Sox.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I'm with you but I'm guessing the Cardinals get the next crack at it. Cardinals against the Dodgers or Giants would be my guess for the next one.

Agree that Cardinals/Dodgers would be a good one.

I think what gets lost on some people is the histrionics of the event. Look at the teams so far.

- White Sox: the movie is centered around the 1919 Black Sox, so they had to be in the first game. It could be argued they should be in every iteration, but that would be overkill IMO
- Yankees: Maybe the most storied franchise in the history of sport, not just baseball
- Reds: Oldest franchise in the game (this can be nitpicked, but they are)
- Cubs: most games played by any franchise in the game

People who think a team like the Guardians, for example, should be playing in a game like this don’t get it.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
They have to put a contender in the mix. Like we know generally the Dodgers, Yankees, Red Sox are all going to contend. I would put the World Series teams in it every year. So if the Yankees play the Dodgers in the World Series, Make those the teams that play. Give us a game. No offense but last nights teams sucked.

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
Frequency should be should be once a year or every other year (every other year would be great, but that isn't how these things typically work). I would guess the Red Sox, Dodgers, and Cardinals are at the top of the list for next teams.

Reactions: enisthemenace

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Why, because they aren't known as the Indians anymore? Their franchise dates back to the early 1900's...
Not completely. They aren’t in the top 10 oldest franchises and they have had an overall “ho-hum” existence. They potentially could be in the conversation, but there are quite a few franchises ahead of them.

Cardinals, Dodgers, Red Sox, Giants to name a few.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa

Agree if they go NL.

Twins/Cards would be fantastic too.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
While not as magical as 2021, it was a perfect night watching MLB baseball (and the Cubs, no less) less than 70 miles from home…in a cornfield. It was awesome. Anyone visiting from out of state got a 5 star experience of the magic and beauty of rural Iowa. And that moon!
The broadcast was very cool as well, they all kept talking about the beauty of the setting and of Iowa. Johnny Bench was loving it.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
While not as magical as 2021, it was a perfect night watching MLB baseball (and the Cubs, no less) less than 70 miles from home…in a cornfield. It was awesome. Anyone visiting from out of state got a 5 star experience of the magic and beauty of rural Iowa. And that moon!

I just went to the Kernels game and have told everyone that it's a must go to IMO.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I am a Cubs fan but I absolutely loved the inning of Votto miced up. I was glad that that was the long half inning and Happ's was the short half inning. A veteran's perspective of facing pitching from his early years to today was fascinating. I could have listened to another half hour of that. Really cool. Happ's perspective of a switch hitter thinking of himself as two completely different hitters on opposite sides of the plate was also interesting. I have tried switch hitting while playing with the kids to try to even things up and I was surprised how easily I picked it up. But it would be a totally different thing facing big league or even minor league pitching doing it.

As far as anyone worried about it, first of all Votto has been playing this game forever and as a first baseman he is talking to baserunners while playing all the time. It really isn't much different. But most of all the broadcast can ask players to do it but they can always say no if they think it will be a distraction. He had to agree to it for it to happen. I had zero issue with it. Also, he can stop talking and concentrate for each pitch if he wants, everyone will understand. Finally, neither of these teams are in the pennant race so what difference is the chance of one error really going to matter in the grand scheme of things. We have teams that have blown up their rosters trading away most of their decent pieces and we are worried about a player being distracted by being miced up?

• Agree
Reactions: wxman1

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I am a Cubs fan but I absolutely loved the inning of Votto miced up. I was glad that that was the long half inning and Happ's was the short half inning. A veteran's perspective of facing pitching from his early years to today was fascinating. I could have listened to another half hour of that. Really cool. Happ's perspective of a switch hitter thinking of himself as two completely different hitters on opposite sides of the plate was also interesting. I have tried switch hitting while playing with the kids to try to even things up and I was surprised how easily I picked it up. But it would be a totally different thing facing big league or even minor league pitching doing it.

As far as anyone worried about it, first of all Votto has been playing this game forever and as a first baseman he is talking to baserunners while playing all the time. It really isn't much different. But most of all the broadcast can ask players to do it but they can always say no if they think it will be a distraction. He had to agree to it for it to happen. I had zero issue with it. Also, he can stop talking and concentrate for each pitch if he wants, everyone will understand. Finally, neither of these teams are in the pennant race so what difference is the chance of one error really going to matter in the grand scheme of things. We have teams that have blown up their rosters trading away most of their decent pieces and we are worried about a player being distracted by being miced up?

My favorite line from Votto was "Let me tell you a story...because I am playing first base in the middle of a major league game so why not."

I also mentioned to my wife how he always slightly paused with the pitch and went through his progression. Great lesson for young players there.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
My favorite line from Votto was "Let me tell you a story...because I am playing first base in the middle of a major league game so why not."

I also mentioned to my wife how he always slightly paused with the pitch and went through his progression. Great lesson for young players there.
In addition to first basemen trying to distract baserunners with the small talk so they can get picked off at first or make a baserunning mistake occasionally baserunners will try to distract first basemen. I'm sure Votto has seen it all and learned how to zone in whenever the pitcher is preparing to pitch or throw to first regardless of what is going on around him or he is saying/doing.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018

I read somewhere that MLB wanted St. Louis and the Cubs this year, but both teams refused to give up a home game on their schedule to make it happen. Cincinnati would give up one of their home games and they figured the Cubs being close would bring in fans for the game.

Next year when the Cubs/Cards play in London, each team "agreed" to give up one of their home games to make it happen.
Teams that draw well, end up losing money with games like this, but Cincinnati's attendance is horrible, and they have less to lose.