2019 Wrestling Nationals

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
ISU's first round went exactly by seeding. 4-5.

If it goes that way again tonight, that means a 7-2 session.

Reactions: LindenCy

CyAGR

Nov 21, 2014
Iowa
Should be a very good round tonight, I am excited to see the all of them go and especially the Gomez match.

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA
My thoughts after Session I...

MacKall should be able to win his first match. Guessing he will then face #13 Hildebrandt. That will be a tough one for Alex.

Gomez will have his hands full with #4 Phillippi. This is a big opportunity for him. If he loses, should be able to win again to stay alive for Friday. Still has a decent shot to reach Round of 12.

Parker - this is looking way ahead, but he has a solid shot to make round of 12. Should win first match tonight then most probably will face Brock from Okla St. After that, if Turner of Wyoming loses, he would face one of #23, 24, or 25 seed to reach round of 12. Long way to go , but it's possible.

I think Degen is going to win tonight. He just seems to be wrestling with confidence. He's been here before. I've got a good feeling about him.

Straw should win his first match and I'm guessing that's about it. But you never know.

Coleman looks defeated, but I may be seeing things. He actually has a very winnable match to start off tonight. I'm guessing he would face Harvey of Army next and that is winnable too. Would like to see Marcus turn things around tonight

I think Colbray advances to the quarters tonight. Geer will be tough, but I think Sam wins.

Miklus should win tonight, then will be facing Weigel in the quarters. Would love to see Willie make the semis his last year, but Weigel looked tough at Big 12s

I really thought Gremmel was going to upset Thomas this afternoon. That said, he wrestled tough. If he stays that way tonight, he can win his first match. After that it's going to be tough.

I'm guessing Degen, Colbray, and Miklus win again tonight. Gomez, Parker, and hopefully Coleman advance in consolations.

But what do I know?!?

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018
Not gonna retype it all but I did a thread about everybody's AA paths

Gomez is a wild card so I'm not sure how much when he goes to the consolations matters, but for Degen, Colbray, and Miklus they get much, much, much more favorable matchups in the Round of 12 if they win their next matches tonight. Every one of them is a tossup at worst to AA if they win their next match but only Miklus has a realistic shot to AA if they lose tonight. And even his path is a whole lot tougher.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Mack has west now. From highland of riverside. Transferred to Solon for senior year. Always thought they would be UNI guys. His dad said Air Force. Want Mack to win but always pay attention to Iowa boys.

• Informative
Reactions: skibumspe

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Mack has west now. From highland of riverside. Transferred to Solon for senior year. Always thought they would be UNI guys. His dad said Air Force. Want Mack to win but always pay attention to Iowa boys.

West has a pigtail match first, against Girard of Bloomsburg. Mackall gets the winner.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA

I grew up less than a mile from the West boys' mom. Good family.

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone

jcordova8

Social Media Director, Wrestling Beat Writer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 1, 2016
Guys I have a question,

Why is it I can watch on my phone but on my computer it keeps leading me to log into my tv provider even though I have an ESPN account...like it won't let me watch on my computer even though I can on my phone and it's all the same account...HELP i need more screens than one lol

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Are they doing the guys on the winners side before they go to the guys on the back side of the bracket after they do the pig tails?

CycloneFan97

Jun 19, 2017
Phillippi wrestled really really passive, I think he should have been called for a second stalling, but it's good to see Gomez can compete with anyone at the toughest weight in the country

Nov 11, 2011
Phillippi wrestled really really passive, I think he should have been called for a second stalling, but it's good to see Gomez can compete with anyone at the toughest weight in the country
I'm sure the coached know best but would have liked to have had Gomez start down in the 3rd

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018
Alber lost, that's huge for Parker. To AA he needs to beat the #33 seed, #15 seed, the #23 seed, and the #13 seed. That's a gift wrapped consolation bracket.

Reactions: LindenCy and ca4cy

CycloneFan97

Jun 19, 2017
I'm sure the coached know best but would have liked to have had Gomez start down in the 3rd
I haven't seen Phillippi wrestle besides that match, but with his length I would assume he's pretty good on top.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron