2019 ISU Football Predictions

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
As many have said, a lot depends on the offensive line.

If they are solid (and better than this year) I can see 10 wins. If not, 7 or 8. But I do think 7 is our floor.

wgleason

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines
I see 8-4. Losses to OU and UT for sure, with the other 2 losses coming from some combo of Iowa, OSU, Baylor, TCU.

I don't see any sure losses with this team. Defense will keep us in every game.
Yes we lose a LOT in Montgomery & Butler but all the top teams are losing big pieces. I think we split with OU & TX.

I know preseason ranking don't mean squat but what's crazy is every one I've seen has ISU behind only OU & TX. More respect from them than our own fans is crazy. Go Clones

Last edited:

RealisticCy

Nov 2, 2014
Ames, IA
IIRC, Brock Purdy wasn't enrolled early. He showed up for fall camp, then finished 6th in the country in passing efficiency behind Kyler Murray, Will Grier, Dwayne Haskins, Tua Tagovailoa, and Jake Fromm (said another way: the current Heisman trophy winner, the top two NFL QB prospects in this years draft, and probably the top two QB's/Heisman candidates for next year). Spring football and another fall camp is going to be massive in his development.

Plenty of talent at RB and WR, and don't underestimate the motivation of a ton of playing time opening up at those positions. I'd love to see Purdy and that stable of backs behind even a slightly above average offensive line.

With our defense we will have a legit shot in every game. OL puts it together and it could be a special year....

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
TCU, WV, Tech & Ok lite are in Oct so there's 4 W's
UNI - W
TOE - W
Louisiana - W
split with OU & TX
KS - W
KSU - W

11-1 going in to CCG

We going to da ship! We going to da ship!
Gotta be Keanu Reeves best movie to date.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Pretty confident we'll win 8 games again because I'm partly convinced Campbell is Earle Bruce 2.0

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
I agree with the 7-10 win group and would be surprised at anything that doesn't end up in that range. I would predict 8-4. I would also say that 11 or more wins is more likely than 6 or less wins.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
What the heck.
W UNI 30-14
W Iowa 24-21
W ULM 33-13
L at Baylor 28-21
W TCU 27-20
L at West Virginia 31-28
W at Texas Tech 38-27
L at Oklahoma 34-31
W Texas 27-24 2OT
W Kansas 35-17
W at Kansas State 24-13
9-3 (6-3)

drednot57

Apr 26, 2010
Nevada, IA
UNI W
UI W
Louisana Monroe W
@ Baylor W
TCU L
@ WVU W
@ TX TECH W
OK STATE W
@ OU L
TEXAS L
KANSAS W
@ KANSAS STATE W

9-3 with a fair to good shot at 10-2.

Maybe our boys will upset Texas at home in Nov.

• Funny
Reactions: benjimill

clonedlion

Feb 28, 2013
10 wins after losing the best WR and RB in program history? Purdy is good but losing the safetiest of all safety blankets in Butler and Montgomery is going to take a big toll, IMO. 8 is realistic but 10 seems like a giant stretch.
This kind of analysis is why Vegas wins. The team is a lot stronger year after year. The team as a whole continues to get better. Butler is gone, but Purdy has a whole year to develop rapport with his other WR. He will probably be better at spreading the ball around. ISU probably goes RB by committee to a degree, but the athletes they have and guys they are bringing are head and shoulders above the normal class with the exception of Troy Davis and others sprinkled in.

This team will be more complete next year and no team should really scare them.

• Winner
Reactions: Aclone

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I feel like there's going to be a LOT of disappointed people on here next year, that's what I predict.

Our offense was ranked something like 100th out of about 132 teams in the country this season, and that was with Montgomery and Butler.

Our entire offense was basically handing the ball to Montgomery and expecting him to either elude tacklers or run them over.... or.... throwing up lobs to Butler. That was it. And luckily for us, both Montgomery and Butler were good at that, but there are not many like them I'm afraid.

What I'm getting at is that our offense sucked this year, and will be losing basically our only two options we had. Now.... there are talented guys behind Montgomery and Butler, but who knows if they will be the NFL caliber players that Monty and Butler were. That's a LOT to expect. In order to be succesful on offense, CMC needs to revamp the offense or hire someone that knows how. We don't even know how to do the simplest things schematically, like throwing a quick slant across the middle to beat a blitz, or throw a quick screen to beat a blitz, or run simple crossing routes with guys like Jones, Akers, Milton.... or bring them in motion and hand them the ball to stress the edges of the defense, etc.

I think the defense will be fine, possibly even better, so that's a big plus, but this offense will have a TON to prove. The numbers don't lie, it was really bad this year, and that was with two NFL players at RB and WR.

I will be happy if we can repeat what we did this year next year. 8 wins would be a really good year with losing our two best players IMO.

RealisticCy

Nov 2, 2014
Ames, IA
I feel like there's going to be a LOT of disappointed people on here next year, that's what I predict.

Our offense was ranked something like 100th out of about 132 teams in the country this season, and that was with Montgomery and Butler.

Our entire offense was basically handing the ball to Montgomery and expecting him to either elude tacklers or run them over.... or.... throwing up lobs to Butler. That was it. And luckily for us, both Montgomery and Butler were good at that, but there are not many like them I'm afraid.

What I'm getting at is that our offense sucked this year, and will be losing basically our only two options we had. Now.... there are talented guys behind Montgomery and Butler, but who knows if they will be the NFL caliber players that Monty and Butler were. That's a LOT to expect. In order to be succesful on offense, CMC needs to revamp the offense or hire someone that knows how. We don't even know how to do the simplest things schematically, like throwing a quick slant across the middle to beat a blitz, or throw a quick screen to beat a blitz, or run simple crossing routes with guys like Jones, Akers, Milton.... or bring them in motion and hand them the ball to stress the edges of the defense, etc.

I think the defense will be fine, possibly even better, so that's a big plus, but this offense will have a TON to prove. The numbers don't lie, it was really bad this year, and that was with two NFL players at RB and WR.

I will be happy if we can repeat what we did this year next year. 8 wins would be a really good year with losing our two best players IMO.

DM and Butler were studs. Hope the two freshmen RB's can get close eventually, and Scates/Shaw have plenty of talent.....but probably nothing like DM and HB playing next year. Hopefully our improved depth through the best 4 recruiting classes we've ever had can replace their production in the aggregate.

But the offense was much better once Purdy became involved: entire year we finished 83rd in points and 96th in yards. If you take only the 9 games Purdy played, our averages in those games would've been 48th in points and 83rd in yards. That includes the Drake game in **** weather, plus he actually gets spring ball snaps as QB1 and a full offseason to improve.

OL is what held the offense back this year, and is what will hold it back again if we don't improve there. Hope Downing and Ramos have a big impact this spring...

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Some of you guys need to tods your nut cups in the dumpster. Seriously. You can always buy another one in about thirty years—when CMC retires.

For oneblatantly obvious thing, you’re ignoring Heavock’s defense.

Can’t believe anyone thinks we’ll lose to WVU. Next year will be a dumpster fire for them.

Iowa? In Smes, and what will they do without abrunning game?

Texas? Also in Ames, and they lose veterans on defense and their OL (IIRC). Distinctly winnable.

OU? They won’t fix that defense on a year, and in case you missed it, Austin Kendall entered the transfer portal.

11-1 is not out of the question. There are no automatic losses.

• Funny
Reactions: benjimill

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Good programs lose great players every year. Good programs have great players waiting for their opportunity. We have a great nucleus returning, and I can’t wait to see who will surprise us all

CMC is building something special

9 wins

scratch

Jan 28, 2018
If our Oline improves this year. I feel we got the talent at RB and WR to do anything. But it hinges on our Oline. 9 wins

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I don't see our OL improving much. They didn't improve from year 2 to year 3 under CMC, so I'm not holding my breath.

And if they aren't improved, then which RB on our roster can get the ball handed to them with no hole whatsoever and make positive yards? I'm hoping one of the true freshman next year can do it.

And which WR will we be able to just lob fly patterns to over and over again and come down with it when Butler is gone? That was probably 3/4ths of our passing offense this year because schematically we can't come up with anything else like most teams can.

As I've said many times, I'm really high on the defense for next season. I think they will be really good. But watching this offense just irritates the hell out of me. It is terrible. And I'm not saying we don't have talent, we do, but we don't have the smarts on the sidelines offensively to get it done. CMC is a defensive guy.... always has been. We desperately need an offensive guru designing and calling plays on our sideline.... period!

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
I don't see our OL improving much. They didn't improve from year 2 to year 3 under CMC, so I'm not holding my breath.

And if they aren't improved, then which RB on our roster can get the ball handed to them with no hole whatsoever and make positive yards? I'm hoping one of the true freshman next year can do it.

And which WR will we be able to just lob fly patterns to over and over again and come down with it when Butler is gone? That was probably 3/4ths of our passing offense this year because schematically we can't come up with anything else like most teams can.

As I've said many times, I'm really high on the defense for next season. I think they will be really good. But watching this offense just irritates the hell out of me. It is terrible. And I'm not saying we don't have talent, we do, but we don't have the smarts on the sidelines offensively to get it done. CMC is a defensive guy.... always has been. We desperately need an offensive guru designing and calling plays on our sideline.... period!
Hard disagree on not having the smarts on the offensive side of the ball.

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron