MLB: 2018 Minnesota Twins Thread

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
They dumped salaries and got a whole gaggle of so-so minor league prospects in return. If they're still betting on Sano and Buxton to be superstars, they're farting in their hat.

They should have kept Escobar....he really developed as a hitter, and he can play multiple positions defensively and not hurt you. Dozier? Eh. He's trying to hit six-run homers every AB, and pull the ball as far as he can.

If Berrios, Meija, and Gibson continue to develop, they have the makings of a decent staff. But historically this is a team that likes hitting, especially power hitting. Makes you wonder why they configured Target Field the way they did.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
They should have kept Escobar....he really developed as a hitter, and he can play multiple positions defensively and not hurt you. Dozier? Eh. He's trying to hit six-run homers every AB.....

With exception of Pressley, it made sense to unload the guys they did, include Escobar. They're not overtaking the Indians this year, so why keep them for the remainder of this year? I hope they sign Escobar at the end of the year and bring back Dozier, which is less likely. I think Brian will get back on track once he's past his walk year signing.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
True dat but unfortunately the biggest off-season discussion will be how much to offer Mauer. :oops:

Looks like full on rebuild mode again after the promise of youth and all from last year kinda petering out. The two bookends for the youth movement both flamed out this year. Think the Twins will still roll on the cheap next year and hope that Sano will drive in 140 runs and that Buxton will hit .340 and steal 100 bases. :rolleyes:

Gibson and Berrios have the makings of a strong 1-2 punch. Mauer will come back at a steep discount, I’m guessing. I have no faith in Sano to stay healthy until he’s willing to drop 30+ lbs. his body just won’t hold up. And Rosario could be the piece to build around. Escobar could come back too. Seemed like he really liked it in Minnesota.

I think there are some pieces there but they have to catch Cleveland. I’ll be interested to see what they do now that they’ll be out from under the Mauer contract.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
The Twins braintrust sure loves those Class A pitchers. With Rodney now gone, the trades are most likely over and the hope of picking up a talent minor league catcher must not be in the books.

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
Depending on arbitration decisions and non-tender considerations, they'll have around $50 million on the lower end or potentially up to $70 million of open payroll. Will be an interesting offseason.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
Depending on arbitration decisions and non-tender considerations, they'll have around $50 million on the lower end or potentially up to $70 million of open payroll. Will be an interesting offseason.

This off-season is when we find out if the front office and the Pollads really want to win or not

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Yankee blog writers are in full meltdown mode. Here's the latest, trade for Joe Mauer since it's Greg Bird's fault that the Yanks are not in first place. Okay, not sure what I think of this but it was interesting. Trade to displace a disappointing 25-year old lefty for a soft hitting lefty who still has a good on base percentage and a good glove. Personally I'd worry that Mauer would fold under the pressure in NY even as a rental but thought it might be an interesting read for Twin fans. Integrating possible shot for Mauer to get into a playoff series. However, the comment that Mauer is a "leader" had me rolling my eyes. :rolleyes: That was Hunter and now it's been, IMHO, no one for a few years.

https://yanksgoyard.com/2018/08/09/yankees-consider-joe-mauer/

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Yankee blog writers are in full meltdown mode. Here's the latest, trade for Joe Mauer since it's Greg Bird's fault that the Yanks are not in first place.... Personally I'd worry that Mauer would fold under the pressure.....
Doubt that Mauer would fold in the circus in NY, but we'll probably never know as I don't see him moving from his no trade clause.
The yankee$ don't need Mauer, they need a stud starting pitcher.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Yeah, he ain't going to the Yanks but thought the article was more interesting than some of the crazy stuff I've seen blogged this week. Happ and Lynn have both been pretty good since coming over and there aren't any stud pitchers available. There's no 2018 Verlander out there like last year. If Yankees can get Judge and Sanchez back and get past the "play in" game they may be okay. Bad news is the AL is loaded for the playoffs.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
While some Twin players may be complaining about Buxton not being included in the Sept. call-up, but it's 100% the right decision by the Twins. Lock him for another year and hope he learns to hit and not chase.

A little surprised that some the TC beat
writers are saying the Twins just might move on from Mauer. I did think that the $10-12
million figure some were throwing out for next year was wacko . $5-6 million is closer to his current value.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I teared up during Mauer's goodbye ceremony. It was wonderful.

All Twins fans probably felt the same. It was emotional as I've ever seen Joe.
As Moliter said- "He's one of the best players in his generation".

Last edited:

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
It's not official yet but, pretty sure it was his last game as a Twin and maybe for his career

cyfan21

Aug 24, 2010
Davenport
Not sure if I should start new thread or post here, BUT......

Molitor is out as head coach in Minnesota! Wonder who they will bring in next.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Not sure if I should start new thread or post here, BUT......

Molitor is out as head coach in Minnesota! Wonder who they will bring in next.

I really wanted Molitor to succeed. I always liked/respected him as a player and a person and was rooting for him. Injuries didn't help this year, but shaking things up might not be a bad idea. There is some young talent, and it would be a shame to not be able to utilize it before it gets traded away.

I'm just not sure who they should get that will be able to make those improvements happen.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Didn't always agree with Paul's pitching decisions, but this a huge mistake by Falvey. The FAs Falvey signed this year did not produce. Blaming Molitor for these failures is unfortunate.
Just hate to see it. Paul is one of the nicest players I have ever met.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Scapegoating Molitor for an across the board team failure. Expectations might have been too high after last year when they got a wildcard with a not great but good bounceback from 2016 record. This year pretty much all of the free agents and most of last years young stars took a step back. Other than Rosario, almost no one matched their last year production. Maybe Escobar before the trade. A perfect storm that I don't think is the managers fault but teams almost ALWAYS fire the manager when the team the GM assembles flops.

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Paul Molitor is not the problem.
Take a low to middle of the road roster, trade Doz and Escobar, and still almost go .500?

The problem is Pohland's creaky ass wallet. MN shouldn't have built him a new stadium.

cyfan21

Aug 24, 2010
Davenport
No idea who the next hot coaching prospect is but, It would be cool if they went after Ryne Sandberg.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Paul Molitor is not the problem.....
The problem is Pohland's creaky ass wallet. MN shouldn't have built him a new stadium.

The Twins won't have the Mauer, Hughes, Lynn, Dozier, Rodney, Pressly, Morrison, and maybe Santana money on the books next year. Let's see what Falvey does in the off season. His first move was terrible one.
Signing Escobar would be a good start for '19

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Molitor might not have been the only problem but he certainly was one of them.

1. He abused the hell out of some of the RP pitchers. You could just see some of those guys who he trusted fall off because he was using them every night. BY FAR his biggest problem. Absolutely awful bullpen usage.

2. Young team yet he seemed to favor veterans. No reason Mitch Garver, for instance shouldn't have had a full seasons worth of AB's.

3. Always seemed hesitant to go along with new analytics.