2017 Stock Prediction

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Pretty sure it was bad earnings report.
It was a horrible earnings report. They very well may take a loss for the entire year. They are stuck between a high price point without a high price point loyalty.

I thought about buying but it may drop by another half in the next 6 months.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
It was a horrible earnings report. They very well may take a loss for the entire year. They are stuck between a high price point without a high price point loyalty.

I thought about buying but it may drop by another half in the next 6 months.

This is the problem I'm having. Part of me sees this as a buying opportunity, but the other part sees this going down further. I guess that's a lot of stocks.

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
We are due for another bubble POP!

View attachment 51410
I'm betting that community colleges will come out of that looking pretty good if that does happen.

Big losers will likely be those that don't have the financial base/name to survive or are over leveraged. That could potentially be the big publics in the midwest. That could be a huge blow to the economies of the cities they are in.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I'm betting that community colleges will come out of that looking pretty good if that does happen.

Big losers will likely be those that don't have the financial base/name to survive or are over leveraged. That could potentially be the big publics in the midwest. That could be a huge blow to the economies of the cities they are in.

I just read an article about this exact topic. Places like ISU, Iowa, Ohio State, etc will be fine. Places like UNI, Western Illinois, might get hurt more.

Iowa did a really smart thing in the 60s by expanding their 3 existing campuses instead of building smaller colleges in small towns like many other states. Look how many MN and SO have, for example. Unsustainable.

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
I just read an article about this exact topic. Places like ISU, Iowa, Ohio State, etc will be fine. Places like UNI, Western Illinois, might get hurt more.

Iowa did a really smart thing in the 60s by expanding their 3 existing campuses instead of building smaller colleges in small towns like many other states. Look how many MN and SO have, for example. Unsustainable.
The really interesting one to watch right now is WI. It has a strange system. They have thirteen 4 year campuses, thirteen 2 year transfer campuses, and then the 2 year tech (I think there are 10 of these) is under a different governing body. They are looking to merge the 2 year transfer with the 4 year to balance out budgets.
MJS-UW12G1.jpg

It's a weird system, and I haven't seen it replicated anywhere else.

Reactions: SoapyCy

Thefullmonte

Nov 3, 2015
This is great. We should totally keep this thread going all year for market conversation. I'm fascinated by it.

My big long term play is still Under Armor. Long term. All these endorsements they have overpaid for are eventually going to pay off big time. They have overreached now but in 10 years, I see a stock that's trading at 29 or whatever now up in the 50s or 60s consistently.

Chris---I just saw an article that Under Armour is the worst performing stock out of the entire S&P 500 this year. I assume the 500 part means there are 500 companies, but am not sure about that.

It's down 55% or so for the year.

Are you still all in on this?

When I saw your initial post, I thought what the heck and put about $10k in which is half of the IRA I inherited from my grandpa. You've said in the past that you're super into finances, so I took a chance on your research and insight.

I'm just wondering what I should be doing at this point. That $10k is now about $4k.

Do I hold it, buy more?

I saw in a follow up post that you were hoping that it would keep dropping.

Is this a good thing and I don't understand?

• Funny
Reactions: DurangoCy

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Chris---I just saw an article that Under Armour is the worst performing stock out of the entire S&P 500 this year. I assume the 500 part means there are 500 companies, but am not sure about that.

It's down 55% or so for the year.

Are you still all in on this?

When I saw your initial post, I thought what the heck and put about $10k in which is half of the IRA I inherited from my grandpa. You've said in the past that you're super into finances, so I took a chance on your research and insight.

I'm just wondering what I should be doing at this point. That $10k is now about $4k.

Do I hold it, buy more?

I saw in a follow up post that you were hoping that it would keep dropping.

Is this a good thing and I don't understand?
500 large stocks yep that are listed on the NYSE or Nasdaq.

Reactions: Thefullmonte

Thefullmonte

Nov 3, 2015
I found it. It looks like the S&P (I assume this
I'm getting into TGT at 54.40. No good reason for it to drop 10% in one day.
If I'm reading this thing right, you've made 10% profit in about 2 weeks.

DAMN!!!

How much Under Armour do you have?

Thefullmonte

Nov 3, 2015
You will feel worse about Underarmour if you do that. but here you go:
https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/^GSPC?p=^GSPC
looks like its up ~18% year to date. just quick and dirty math on my part.
It says 21.51 on that link.

Is that not the year to date?

What #'s should I be looking at to find the year to date.

Maybe I'm not even understanding the Under Armor thing right and it's not down that much.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
It says 21.51 on that link.

Is that not the year to date?

What #'s should I be looking at to find the year to date.

Maybe I'm not even understanding the Under Armor thing right and it's not down that much.
There are tabs on that link that you can change the time period with, it doesn't save ytd when I posted it, but if you click YTD tab it shows the last 11 months. UA started the year at 26 and is now trading at about 12. (26-12)/26= 53% means its down 53% on the year.

• Informative
Reactions: Thefullmonte

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
There are tabs on that link that you can change the time period with, it doesn't save ytd when I posted it, but if you click YTD tab it shows the last 11 months. UA started the year at 26 and is now trading at about 12. (26-12)/26= 53% means its down 53% on the year.

There’s always been a third wheel in the athletic apparel/shoe business. UA is the current third wheel. Taking its place alongside such companies as converse and Reebok.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
There’s always been a third wheel in the athletic apparel/shoe business. UA is the current third wheel. Taking its place alongside such companies as converse and Reebok.
Ya i think their Steph Curry dad shoe kind of sums up their issues.