2 Breweries to open downtown (DSM) in 2019

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
How is the craft beer scene in Iowa? I haven't been back to Iowa since I graduated in 2009. In DC it's okay, but not amazing. Iceland had some amazing craft brews and surprisingly, Richmond, VA is great. Just wanted to see how Iowa stacks up in that market. It may give me another good excuse to go visit Ames/Des Moines in the fall for a football game since I really want to go back.

Pretty good and sometimes amazing. I can’t imagine someone going to Iowa Taproom or El Bait Shop and being disappointed with the offerings.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Pretty good and sometimes amazing. I can’t imagine someone going to Iowa Taproom or El Bait Shop and being disappointed with the offerings.
I'll be putting in my time for the last time this summer at el Bait. There are definitely days where I walk in and I feel disappointed. Once I figure out which breweries I like, which styles I like, it narrows down the wall quite a bit. If I didn't work there, it would seem like a beer Cave of Wonders though.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I didn't realize that Zach Dunbar from Forager was going to be in on Lua.

That place is going to be very, very good. He's an excellent brewer, and a good dude. Forager makes exceptional beers.

Reactions: ZJohnson

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
I didn't realize that Zach Dunbar from Forager was going to be in on Lua.

That place is going to be very, very good. He's an excellent brewer, and a good dude. Forager makes exceptional beers.

That is one heck of a brew crew! Where did you hear that info Al?

--edit-- Just saw it on Iowa Beer Blog.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
How is the craft beer scene in Iowa? I haven't been back to Iowa since I graduated in 2009. In DC it's okay, but not amazing. Iceland had some amazing craft brews and surprisingly, Richmond, VA is great. Just wanted to see how Iowa stacks up in that market. It may give me another good excuse to go visit Ames/Des Moines in the fall for a football game since I really want to go back.
As someone who lived in NoVa for 6 months very recently, I can confidently say that the craft beer scene in Des Moines is better than the craft beer scene in DC/Northern Virginia.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
After a much delayed opening, 1717 Brewery on E Court Ave (across from Peace Tree) opened this past weekend. Didn't have a chance to check it out myself. Anyone?

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
After a much delayed opening, 1717 Brewery on E Court Ave (across from Peace Tree) opened this past weekend. Didn't have a chance to check it out myself. Anyone?

I’ll be checking it out this weekend at the craft brew fest.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Latest on Lua...

Whitney Selix is the former general manager of Red's Alehouse in North Liberty while Scott is the lead brewer for Big Grove Brewery & Taproom in Iowa City and is on the board of directors for the Iowa Brewer's Guild. Whitney Selix will act as the president of the brewery.

The brewery will feature a bar and communal tables inside and an outdoor patio with views of the downtown skyline.

Full article with rendering:

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...des-moines-high-street-beer-patio/1813539001/

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I thought for only being a week old, Lua had some pretty tasty options. Two NE IPA's, a Pils, a decent 13% stout, and a hefeweizen. Still don't understand why people think it's ok to bring new borns to these places....

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
Checked out Lua yesterday and thought it was pretty good. You can tell they are still figuring it all out right now, but beer options were pretty good. I tried the pilsner and the hazy ipa, and thought both were pretty good. Pretty basic on the inside, but I do think it will be pretty cool when they can open the garage doors.

Jiub

Nov 11, 2015
Des Moines
Lame, more hipster craft breweries. A lot of places to get beer from already.

Just legalize marijuana already kimmy. If not, Illinois will be getting my tax dollars.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Lame, more hipster craft breweries. A lot of places to get beer from already.

Just legalize marijuana already kimmy. If not, Illinois will be getting my tax dollars.
Hey, if you don’t like craft beer, then why even bother commenting? It clearly doesn’t apply to you, and there are a lot of people on this site who do like craft beer and all the options. The world doesn’t revolve around you.

Jiub

Nov 11, 2015
Des Moines
Hey, if you don’t like craft beer, then why even bother commenting? It clearly doesn’t apply to you, and there are a lot of people on this site who do like craft beer and all the options. The world doesn’t revolve around you.

I like beer, Confluence, Breckenridge, Deschutes are some of my favorites.

I just think that Kimmy needs to get the stick out her ass and get with the times.

• Agree
Reactions: discydisc

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I thought for only being a week old, Lua had some pretty tasty options. Two NE IPA's, a Pils, a decent 13% stout, and a hefeweizen. Still don't understand why people think it's ok to bring new borns to these places....
...because parents need a break sometimes? The first thing my wife asked for after our first, and then again after our twins, was the coldest, hoppiest, beer I could find. IMO, the best way to teach kids how to act in public...is to take them into public.

I'm in love with Lua. I stopped down there twice last week. Once I was in a real hurry and I just wanted to check it out. Had a small pour of the Tunnel of Trees NEIPA and was blown away. A lot of times these newer/smaller breweries have a "break in period" where they've gotta figure out how to use their system. It seems like Lua bypassed that period and went straight for "making kickass beer period" instead.

Stopped in Black Friday for a proper sit down and take an Uber home night. My feelings were then solidified that Lua is going to be an absolute gem for Des Moines. Once they start pumping out sours, I think it's going to be game over in the Des Moines market for "Best Brewery".

Help Support Us

Become a patron