13-14 Clones vs 22-23 Clones. Who wins

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
That would be a great game. One that just comes down to who is hitting shots that day.
Of the same opinion. the 13/14 team created so many mismatches on offense. Especially dangerous when Kane/Monte were making three's. On the other hand, this years defense would likely be the toughest defense the 13/14 team would have seen that year (WV and KU may have had similar D rankings to this years ISU team). This years offense is seemingly improving every game and exploiting their own mismatches.

If the 13/14 team is making 10+ three's, I think they win. In a 7 game series, I think this years team wins 4-3.

Last edited:

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Matchups would be really interesting. Assuming the late season line-up, the '14 starters were Kane - Morris - Ejim - Hogue - Niang, with Naz and Thomas coming off the bench.

If we are starting the small lineup as recently, the matchups would probably be

Kane - Holmes
Morris - Lipsey
Ejim - Gabe
Hogue - Grill
Niang - Osun

Obviously, as was the case that year, Niang matching up with the bigs is a huge mismatch and would likely determine the outcome. The Hogue-Grill matchup is a mismatch too, but the current team would have Jaz / King / Watson in for much of the game - and there wasn't more size coming off the bench for the '14 team.

With the 3 PGs on floor, the offense usually just flowed so smoothly for that '14 team. Would the current team's defensive pressure interrupt that flow? Or would the ball movement and Niang passing out of the post get plenty of open shots?

This year we have size coming off the bench, but no shooting. That team had shooting coming off the bench, but no size. That would be a big factor too

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
Gosh I can just see this year's team trying to double Niang in the post just to have a ball reversal to a wide open shooter in the corner. This year's team gives up a ton of 3's, and that team could really shoot it.

Give me 13-14.

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
wow.... tough call. I would lean '13-14 team. But I think it would come down to officiating. If we are allowed to play physical on defense this team could give them problems. But Niang, Thomas, Morris... that would be tough to beat. Really unfortunate NCAA tourney.. that team pushed the eventual champs without Niang.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
The "Kalscheur Clones" have these adjusted ratings on Torvik per 100 --

Offense = 110.3
Defense = 89.8
Net = +20.5

The "Kane Clones" have these adjusted ratings on Torvik per 100 --

Offense = 119.1
Defense = 99.5
Net = +19.6

The Kalscheur Clones should be roughly a pick to a one-point favorite on a neutral court.

Home court/home refs might make all the difference.

Reactions: peteypie

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Following discussion in the 'best modern ISU team' thread, this type of thing was on my mind while watching the game last night. I prefer to wait until the season concludes (or at least closer to it) before trying to compare. I know it's only a fun thought experiment, but feels too incomplete for true assessment.
This is it

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
The "Kalscheur Clones" have these adjusted ratings on Torvik per 100 --

Offense = 110.3
Defense = 89.8
Net = +20.5

The "Kane Clones" have these adjusted ratings on Torvik per 100 --

Offense = 119.1
Defense = 99.5
Net = +19.6

The Kalscheur Clones should be roughly a pick to a one-point favorite on a neutral court.

Home court/home refs might make all the difference.
Hilton versus Hilton!!

Reactions: nrg4isu

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Hilton versus Hilton!!

The two are closer than I thought they would be. I thought the current team would be so far ahead on defense that it might be a 3-4 point favorite, but it works out to only be more like one.

The Kane-Ejim-Niang team is probably dragged down a little from missing Ejim to start the year and Niang to end it but, hey, the present team is missing an entire season from Williams, who might have been a starter, at least a month of Big 12 play from Kunc, and now Grill clearly isn't 100% himself with the back.

So I'm going to ignore that/call those factors a wash. If anything the current team has been stung more.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
I would like to see the 13-14 team with Otz as Coach. Different style. Would be interesting.

A decade ago TJ would have tried to carry on with "Hoiball" and probably had some success.

The current TJ is not doing "Hoiball", thus with how those players did not like to play defense.....it certainly would have been interesting.

ISUcyclones11

Dec 11, 2014
Ankeny, IA
The two are closer than I thought they would be. I thought the current team would be so far ahead on defense that it might be a 3-4 point favorite, but it works out to only be more like one.

The Kane-Ejim-Niang team is probably dragged down a little from missing Ejim to start the year and Niang to end it but, hey, the present team is missing an entire season from Williams, who might have been a starter, at least a month of Big 12 play from Kunc, and now Grill clearly isn't 100% himself with the back.

So I'm going to ignore that/call those factors a wash. If anything the current team has been stung more.

Williams is 100% a starter if he's healthy.

Reactions: Sigmapolis

Help Support Us

Become a patron