125 next year

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
I was looking through weight classes for next year. The top returners (plus Fix) are shown below. Who else will be entering the mix? What is Okie State's plan. Will Piccininni and Brock move up to make room for Dayton Fix?
Edit: moved Suriano and Lizak to 133

1 Spencer Lee, Iowa, So
2 Sebastian Rivera, NW, So
3 Daton Fix, Okie St, Fr
4 Ronnie Bresser, Oreg St, Sr
5 Zeke Moisey, WV, Sr
6 Taylor LaMont, UVS, So
7 Louie Hayes, Vir, So
8 Sean Fausz, NCST, Sr
9 Sean Russell, Edin, Sr
10 Ryan Millhof, ASU, Sr
11 Jay Schwarm, UNI, Jr
12 Mike McGee, OD, So

Last edited:

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
I was looking through weight classes for next year. The top returners (plus Fix) are shown below. Who else will be entering the mix? What is Okie State's plan. Will Piccininni and Brock move up to make room for Dayton Fix?

1 Spencer Lee, Iowa, So
2 Nick Suriano, Rut, Jr
3 Ethan Lizak, Minn, Sr
4 Sebastian Rivera, NW, So
5 Daton Fix, Okie St, Fr
6 Ronnie Bresser, Oreg St, Sr
7 Zeke Moisey, WV, Sr
8 Taylor LaMont, UVS, So
9 Louie Hayes, Vir, So
10 Sean Fausz, NCST, Sr
11 Sean Russell, Edin, Sr
12 Ryan Millhof, ASU, Sr

Based on how it looked this year:
1. Spencer Lee
Everybody else.

Who do PSU and tOSU have waiting in the wings? Is Teske PSU's go to?

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I believe all Ok State will move up. Not sure if Picc or Fix will go 125, other will go 133. Have to fit Gfeller & Smith into middle lineup

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
Based on how it looked this year:
1. Spencer Lee
Everybody else.

Who do PSU and tOSU have waiting in the wings? Is Teske PSU's go to?
PSU - depends if Gavin Teasdale can hold the weight or not.
OSU - may be a "hole". Some are rumoring Piccininni to transfer in. I doubt his happens.

...and I don't see this as Lee's weight. He is obviously a HUGE talent. However, he did lose to Tomasello and Bresser this year. Also, I would think Daton Fix will push Lee if he holds this weight!

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
OSU - may be a "hole". Some are rumoring Piccininni to transfer in. I doubt his happens.

...and I don't see this as Lee's weight. He is obviously a HUGE talent. However, he did lose to Tomasello and Bresser this year. Also, I would think Daton Fix will push Lee if he holds this weight!

Piccinnini to transfer in as in transfer to Iowa State? If so, sign me up!

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
Piccinnini to transfer in as in transfer to Iowa State? If so, sign me up!
NO...some think there is a chance he transfers to Ohio State. He was recruited to wrestle there in the first place and apparently has a connection with Ryan. I think this is just wishful thinking on their part as they feel Okie State will have a logjam at the lower weights.

Reactions: stuclone

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA

There's some hyperbole in my post, but at the same time, his loss to Bresser was early on, and he went 2 for 3 as a true freshman against a 5th year NaTo, who was supposed to be THE guy at this weight. I thought Suriano might have something for him, but he never legitimately threatened an offensive score on Lee. Nobody is infallible, but I would consider anyone beating him among the list that you threw out there an upset.

Reactions: CyCloneRastlinG

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
There's some hyperbole in my post, but at the same time, his loss to Bresser was early on, and he went 2 for 3 as a true freshman against a 5th year NaTo, who was supposed to be THE guy at this weight. I thought Suriano might have something for him, but he never legitimately threatened an offensive score on Lee. Nobody is infallible, but I would consider anyone beating him among the list that you threw out there an upset.
I would agree that Lee is the huge favorite. I think this will be a Lee and Fix weight. Really interested in that matchup.

• Agree
Reactions: ca4cy

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado
I'm curious to see what Lee does. I think he is Kyle Snyder esque in that he will win some world medals and international tournaments while still in school. Snyder stuck around to finish school even though there really was not much incentive to keep competing in the NCAA. Will Lee do the same?

DCR

Jun 11, 2010
I'm curious to see what Lee does. I think he is Kyle Snyder esque in that he will win some world medals and international tournaments while still in school. Snyder stuck around to finish school even though there really was not much incentive to keep competing in the NCAA. Will Lee do the same?
Lee will stay in school. I could see him doing what Lincoln Mcilravy did and take a year off and take his Olympic redshirt for that one year. The year Lincoln Mcilravy sat out was the year Bono won NCAA.

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
Lee will stay in school. I could see him doing what Lincoln Mcilravy did and take a year off and take his Olympic redshirt for that one year. The year Lincoln Mcilravy sat out was the year Bono won NCAA.

This. Lee will be a head coach eventually and has said he wants to get his masters and become an AD one day I believe. I think he takes an Olympic RS year in 2020.

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa

He lost to Bresser fresh off the rehab table in a very controversial ending. He was a much better wrestler at the end of the year. Tomasello was a 4x BIG10 champ and 4x AA, 1x Champ. He was 2-1 against the 5th year Sr. No one else is on that level. Fix would be the only wrestler at the weight that will give him a go and that's just the truth. These kids are winning World titles, not just state titles.

• Agree
Reactions: SimpsonCyclone

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
He lost to Bresser fresh off the rehab table in a very controversial ending. He was a much better wrestler at the end of the year. Tomasello was a 4x BIG10 champ and 4x AA, 1x Champ. He was 2-1 against the 5th year Sr. No one else is on that level. Fix would be the only wrestler at the weight that will give him a go and that's just the truth. These kids are winning World titles, not just state titles.
I'm not going to argue against the fact that Lee is an outstanding wrestler. However, I also don't believe that he is untouchable sans Fix. I am sure most people never thought McIlravy would lose to Marianetti or Gable would ever lose to Owens, but it happened. Things happen, and it is extremely tough and rare to maintain an elite level for every match of your career. There is a reason Cael was so special! If Fix goes 133, I'm not ready to just hand the NCAA gold medal to Lee and I bet there are a few of his foes that may feel the same. That said, Lee is a beast and he would definitely be a heavy favorite to be an unbeaten repeat.