NCAA Settlement

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
It looks like the NCAA is proposing the Non-P4 conferences pick up 60% of damages related to the NCAA's settlement with athletes over NIL. How does that make any sense? It would seem like the P4 conferences should pay for the vast majority of the damages. And IMO there should be a formula based on a school having elite level athletes, as that pool of players would have received the vast majority of NIL $.

Here are some quotes form ESPN article linked below:

The memo detailed how the NCAA could split up an expected $1.6 billion that would come from reductions in NCAA distribution, sources told ESPN. The remaining $1.1 billion is expected to come from NCAA reserves, catastrophic insurance, new revenue and budget cuts, sources said.

Of that $1.6 billion, nearly 60% is expected to come from leagues outside the Power 5 conferences that are named in the House lawsuit, sources said. (The NCAA is named, and all of the schools are members.) The other 40% will come from the power conferences.

"We're not named in the lawsuit," said a source in a smaller league. "We don't have a voice in any of this. We're just being told what our taxation is."

Added another source in a CCA22 league: "This is incredibly unfair and has a dramatic impact. I'm losing about 10% of my operating budget. Do I cut two staff members in order for money to go to Zion Williamson? Ninety percent of the money in the suit projects to go to Power 5 football and men's basketball players. The 40% payment for the power conference isn't proportionate."

NCAA NIL Settlement

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
How far down is this going?

If we are talking all NCAA, including D2, D3 etc. There are far more schools outside the Power 4 than in. So that could be some of it. While the vast majority of money is in the power 4. Still when you are talking hundreds of schools, in total it adds up even when they are paying a fraction of what the 70ish schools in the P4.

Think of it this way, if the 70+/- schools in the Power 4 each paid/reduced $10M each, the G5 reduced $1M and the remaining aprx 1,000 schools each paid $100K each, overall they would pay more total but less each by far. Those are just random numbers thrown out there, but it could be something like that, and the reason it shakes out like that.

1716156495977.png

Reactions: Cyrealist

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
It's only Division I.

The P4 want the G5 plus the 22 non-FBS leagues to pay 60% of the settlement in the form of reduced NCAA payouts over 10 years. It's all about creating even more separation between the haves have nots.

It's ********. The P4 are overwhelmingly responsible for this mess and should be the ones shouldering the responsibility.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
It's only Division I.

The P4 want the G5 plus the 22 non-FBS leagues to pay 60% of the settlement in the form of reduced NCAA payouts over 10 years. It's all about creating even more separation between the haves have nots.

It's ********. The BIG and SEC are overwhelmingly responsible for this mess and should be the ones shouldering the responsibility.

FIFY

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
NCAA needs to be BK asap. I must not know enough on the fine details but it seems really ridiculous in my mind to sue the schools when the ncaa would have heavily hammered schools for doing what they are now being sued for. I’m guessing it’s only because the ncaa can’t pay the bill but am I missing something?

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
NCAA needs to be BK asap. I must not know enough on the fine details but it seems really ridiculous in my mind to sue the schools when the ncaa would have heavily hammered schools for doing what they are now being sued for. I’m guessing it’s only because the ncaa can’t pay the bill but am I missing something?
Nope you’ve got it.

Schools will get some concessions in the settlement to help foot the bill.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
What percentage of NIL has the P4 received since the rule change? Seems that would be an easy way to extrapolate the amount of NIL lost by athletes over the years. If the SEC and Big10 are receiving 60% of the NIL (making up that number, may be higher) shouldn’t they cover 60% of the settlement? They made this mess by exploding the money in college athletics. Let them deal with the fallout.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
What percentage of NIL has the P4 received since the rule change? Seems that would be an easy way to extrapolate the amount of NIL lost by athletes over the years. If the SEC and Big10 are receiving 60% of the NIL (making up that number, may be higher) shouldn’t they cover 60% of the settlement? They made this mess by exploding the money in college athletics. Let them deal with the fallout.
Agree there has to be a methodology where the damages are paid by whatever schools benefited by "not-paying" NIL to its student athletes.

I would think if a damages figure has been calculated, it is based on solid estimates of what players could have earned over the period in question. Aka an All-American X$, an all-conference player X$, 5-Star Recruit, etc, etc.

It would be interesting to see if the NCAA (aka P4 schools) acceptance on the damage amount would be the same if the the P4 schools were on the hook for 80-90% of the damages vs. 40%.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
The NCAA lol, they need to be done. Its a joke, well I guess they can have the bball tournament other than that they are an empty suit. The P2 will do what they want from here on out. Its a shame how bad this got ****** up but here we are and its not going back.

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
Since the sec and big are getting more CFP money, because of more appearances, including teams they have taken from other league (OU,etc.), shouldn’t they be paying more of the settlement? Seems to me players in the big and sec have cause for more damages than any of the other leagues. Shouldn’t be able to have it both ways, but “those with all the gold”…

Reactions: BigCyFan

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Since the sec and big are getting more CFP money, because of more appearances, including teams they have taken from other league (OU,etc.), shouldn’t they be paying more of the settlement? Seems to me players in the big and sec have cause for more damages than any of the other leagues. Shouldn’t be able to have it both ways, but “those with all the gold”…

I just go back to the question of how much NIL was lost by each athlete. Based on current figures, it seems the SEC athletes were significantly more affected than athletes in the non-P4.

If I were the commissioner of a non-P4 school, I’d be putting this information together and raising hell.

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
Couldn't they figure this out by average star ranking (Rivals, ESPN, etc) and position?

5 star QB: $1 million
4 star QB: $300k
3 star QB: $40k

5 star DT/DE: $800k
4 star DT/DE: $200k
3 star DT/DE: $30k

Then add it all up. Alabama, Ohio State, Texas and all the top recruiting schools should pay for more since their athletes would have had more NIL missed opportunities.

amishclone

Feb 23, 2014
Absolutely. Base payout percentages on the conferences' CFP payout percentages.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I for one am happy that schools like Tulane and Miami of Ohio are going to have to pay big time for holding back all their 5 star recruits from making money over the years....

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Probably because some of the big dogs in the P4 said they would leave the NCAA if the non-P4 refused. If you aren't one of the power brokers you just have to bend over and take it essentially. Same thing happened with the Big XII and reduced playoff payout.

Cymark86

Dec 2, 2023
It looks like the NCAA is proposing the Non-P4 conferences pick up 60% of damages related to the NCAA's settlement with athletes over NIL. How does that make any sense? It would seem like the P4 conferences should pay for the vast majority of the damages. And IMO there should be a formula based on a school having elite level athletes, as that pool of players would have received the vast majority of NIL $.

Here are some quotes form ESPN article linked below:

The memo detailed how the NCAA could split up an expected $1.6 billion that would come from reductions in NCAA distribution, sources told ESPN. The remaining $1.1 billion is expected to come from NCAA reserves, catastrophic insurance, new revenue and budget cuts, sources said.

Of that $1.6 billion, nearly 60% is expected to come from leagues outside the Power 5 conferences that are named in the House lawsuit, sources said. (The NCAA is named, and all of the schools are members.) The other 40% will come from the power conferences.

"We're not named in the lawsuit," said a source in a smaller league. "We don't have a voice in any of this. We're just being told what our taxation is."

Added another source in a CCA22 league: "This is incredibly unfair and has a dramatic impact. I'm losing about 10% of my operating budget. Do I cut two staff members in order for money to go to Zion Williamson? Ninety percent of the money in the suit projects to go to Power 5 football and men's basketball players. The 40% payment for the power conference isn't proportionate."

NCAA NIL Settlement
So would this potentially kill football at some of those lower levels? I think many of those small schools are considering it anyway due to cost and return on investment

Is that the goal here? This seems patently unfair that we must be missing something. I know this is the “new” normal but maybe just let those big schools do their own thing and let the NCAA manage those schools that aren’t in it 100% for the money grab. They are underestimating the long term impact of the fans.

• Agree
Reactions: Cycho1

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I don't think schools will drop football. But I think we will see 2 systems. One is the semi-pro version we are seeing in the P4. The other will be a scaled down version where athletes can earn NIL & scholarship, but schools will implement cost caps and push toward more of an Ivy League approach.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Can't be shocked that NCAA is protecting their brands and crapping on the little guys. That's what they have always done.

30 years ago, Jerry Tarkanian said it best, I have probably quoted him 10 times on CF.

"The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky, they are going to give Cleveland State the death penalty."

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Can't be shocked that NCAA is protecting their brands and crapping on the little guys. That's what they have always done.

30 years ago, Jerry Tarkanian said it best, I have probably quoted him 10 times on CF.

"The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky, they are going to give Cleveland State the death penalty."
Since you’re using quotes, it’s actually
“The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky, it’s going to give Cleveland State two more years’ probation.”