Jalynn Bristow Transferring

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
None of us know why Bristow is leaving. Obviously she wasn't happy, so it is ok that she is choosing to try and find a better situation for her. I hope Bill can find a transfer that will fill her void and I hope we don't lose anyone else.
Is it obvious she wasn't happy? Might it not be as simple as she's a '4' and there's no path to starting the next 3 years with Addy and Audi ahead of her? She could stay and be a role player from the bench. For some people that would be okay, but maybe she really wants to start and play a bigger role?

She had a lot of potential and a fairly unique skill set and I wish her the best (unless she goes to another BigXII school), she could be really really good in a couple years.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
This is horribly bad - and entirely due to her usage and how BF continually mis-manages any athletic wing we get. Bristow had the highest upside on the entire roster. She should have been getting ALL of Diew's minutes this year. Seeing Diew start/play more in front of her was an embarrassment. She is going to be a star some day.

There is no way she wouldn't have started next year, we all saw the flashes when BF actually let her play (similar to Kelsey).

This one hurts guys and lowers my ceiling for the ladies next year.
Wow. You are very confident in your opinion that BF "mis-manages any athletic wing" we get. Do u attend practices or why the strong opinion?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Sooners might be in the hunt for Bristow. Norman is only two hours or so away from her hometown and they did offer her out of HS. TCU is super close but Sooners would be better if she wants to actually be part of a good team. Also, Sooners aren't exactly a team built on defense, so would seem a good fit given their pervious interest.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Sooners might be in the hunt for Bristow. Norman is only two hours or so away from her hometown and they did offer her out of HS. TCU is super close but Sooners would be better if she wants to actually be part of a good team. Also, Sooners aren't exactly a team built on defense, so would seem a good fit given their pervious interest.

Downside for Sooners, after some further thought, is maybe she isn't cut out for the SEC and the rough and tumble style that seems to permeate that league? Jennies style is much more suited to the more passive Big 12 and it's going to be a challenging transition for the Sooners. Number of Big Ten teams she would fit into well but I'd speculate they are too far away (solely on the homesick scuttlebutt).

Reactions: acoustimac

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Bristow might be the physically weakest player we had this year. On top of that, she has no idea how to dribble the ball in a crowd. She has a lot to work on. You have no idea what you you are talking about IMO.
I question whether you even watched any games. She asserted her self down the stretch showed signs of the athletic 4 this team desperately needs next to Audi.

cyco2000

Nov 5, 2007
She's a star in the waiting. Will miss her. Maybe didn't fit our style (I leave that to the coaches), but loved watching her play.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
She had a lot of potential and a fairly unique skill set and I wish her the best (unless she goes to another BigXII school), she could be really really good in a couple years.
Even then, I wish her well in every game except the Iowa State one.

farcyted

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I question whether you even watched any games. She asserted her self down the stretch showed signs of the athletic 4 this team desperately needs next to Audi.

I watched almost all the women's games and for how highly she was rated as a recruit and the hype that came along with it, I was not impressed with her over all game. Joens was more productive in.my book. Defensively and offensively. Bristow should not be that hard to upgrade in the portal.

• Haha
Reactions: KCRClone

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I watched almost all the women's games and for how highly she was rated as a recruit and the hype that came along with it, I was not impressed with her over all game. Joens was more productive in.my book. Defensively and offensively. Bristow should not be that hard to upgrade in the portal.

I would have liked to seen her stay and improve but such is life.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
We already have a transfer and incoming freshman that could cut into Joens' minutes. Glad to hear athletic 6'2 forwards are so prevalent.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

That last sentence is pretty far out there. :rolleyes:

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Is it obvious she wasn't happy? Might it not be as simple as she's a '4' and there's no path to starting the next 3 years with Addy and Audi ahead of her? She could stay and be a role player from the bench. For some people that would be okay, but maybe she really wants to start and play a bigger role?

Addy doesn’t really play the 4. Ny started the season as the 4 and Addy played as a guard. Due to Ny’s struggles Bill added another guard to the lineup. I believe if Bristow showed improvement, she would have started along with Audi and Addy.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Agree
That said, I am buffaloed my the seeming belief that we are a team built on defense. Where did that come from? We have never been a very good defensive team.
We are an offensive minded team.

I thought Bristow had potential. But, a very weak player. I think she would have major minutes by her junior year. Needed developmental time.

I wish her well. I do not see her getting major P4/5 minutes unless it’s on a really bad team.
She could go to OU, but would not play any more than if she stayed at ISU.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Agree
That said, I am buffaloed my the seeming belief that we are a team built on defense. Where did that come from? We have never been a very good defensive team.
We are an offensive minded team.

I thought Bristow had potential. But, a very weak player. I think she would have major minutes by her junior year. Needed developmental time.

I wish her well. I do not see her getting major P4/5 minutes unless it’s on a really bad team.
She could go to OU, but would not play any more than if she stayed at ISU.

Wasn't my intention to suggest we play good defense, more thinking she might not be a good fit for schools that emphasis defense since it's not currently her jam. We were at the bottom tier of the league in D this season. Last season we were 5th in D. Seems we try most of the time to be a B+ in scoring and maybe a C+ or C on the defensive side. Basically top group in scoring and middle of the pack in defense, works for us. Not like we have a storied history of placing a lot of players on the All-Defensive team.

Was thinking Sooners because they've been top of league in scoring and bottom in defense for a few years but TCU or TT might be better options.

Reactions: Cyclad

savepolarbears

Dec 4, 2013
I think one of the things that gets overlooked is the ability on the defensive end. Yes - Diew struggled on offense but had a great understanding of the defensive side of the court, that is why she was getting minutes. Kelsie and JB did not have the understanding of the defensive side and were liabilities at times, that is why Diew was getting minutes over them. The young ones will / would have been able to learn and excel in the defensive side, they just were not there yet and their offensive output was not enough to offset the defensive deficiencies.
The more I think about the timing, the more I think it was a sit down with coaches about working harder on her defense. A bit reminiscent of Aubrey. Playing D for CBF is harder than 90% of schools. There aren’t too many run and gun teams like the current Sooner philosophy, the refs favor NFL physicality. Sadly for most fans.

Reactions: acoustimac

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron