Illinois matchup

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
probably the equalizer there will be rebounding, Illinois is #11 in the nation in rebounding margin and Iowa is 170th.

Types of turnovers matter to me, I think you guys will win the overall turnover battle, we'll get extra possessions off the boards. If it's a very low tempo game and you're turning us over in the halfcourt that is bad news, we can open up the game and lose the ball a few times being aggressive I'm not sure that would bother me much.
We are NOT Iowa.

• Agree
Reactions: GoldandCardinal

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I'm concerned, that it might go like a BYU game, where it looks like for 30 mins we have no idea how to stop the bleeding. Sincerely hope I'm wrong!

I just don't think the way they play is like BYU who really made ISU chase and get turned around.

To me it looks more like Hoiball.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
I've listened to five different podcasts today (2 Illinois based, 3 national). Every single one hyped up Illinois and their offense and predicted Illinois to win. They all think the Illini are on some super roll and can't be stopped. The Chicago one predicted a double digit win.

(Putting on my Cardinal/Gold lenses) I am going with Cyclones 78-72.

Reactions: abbasmax

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Illinois also had a massive talent advantage and Duquesne had no prep time, short rest, and a big let down factor. Were talking about a team that was 10-8 and finished 6th in the A-10. I'm not saying Illinois will be easy or that they can't score on our D, I just don't think the Duquesne game is very applicable to our matchup in any way.

Also, if we look at duquesne's performance against better teams, their adjusted defensive rating falls off. 46 AdjDE vs quad 2 or better (torvik). 120 vs Quad 1 (but a small sample size)

For reference, vs quad 1 illinois kind of falls off a bit as well, to 14th overall and 148th adjDE

• Informative
Reactions: NorthCyd

cyups2323

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
After Watching the illinois/Duquesne game I feel Lot better about Thursday. I didn't see the game Saturday cuz I was driving home from omaha but the score was obviously intimidating. Domask's booty ball is not gonna work against us. Shannon is a stud and he is gonna get his regardless of what we do but most of his points the last 2 games were lightly contested drives to the hoop. Hawkins shot out of his mind. If he shoots like that Thursday we are in trouble but I highly doubt it. If Milan shows up offensively we win.

Reactions: nrg4isu

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
You have to get the Duke/Houston stuff, the SEC was horrible and one of their super average teams to Houston to OT and should have won if they just kept doing what they were doing. Plus stupid Duke love in the media. That game is a toss up to me

Alternately, maybe TAMU is just a bad matchup for Houston, along with some particularly questionable officiating.

TAMU gave them their toughest 2 games of the season (a loss by 4 and a loss in OT) in Home\Neutral environments aside from our win (but that was pretty much a road game). Almost all of the rest of their home\neutral wins were by double digits

That game was really a perfect storm for Houston- playing the team they already had seen a tough matchup against, while getting the kind of officiating they absolutely didn't want to see. Kind of the scenario we were afraid of in a potential matchup with BYU.

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
IMO the problem with opposing fans and even WAY too much of the media is that when people hear "defense," the image of Virginia and SDSU come to mind.

It's very easy for outsiders to assume we are in the mold of those classic slow-grind super disciplined teams who play conservatively and are always in the right place. In others' minds, all their team has to do is be patient, make a few plays, win some one-one-ones, and hit some contested shots and BOOM! Advantage offense.

Quite frankly, not only is it getting old at this point, it's just lazy and disrespectful, even if unintentional. Sure, it is what it is and we're Iowa State so yeah, it's not unexpected whatsoever.

Our defense is dynamic, aggressive, and simply a vulgar display of high-octane game changing athleticism. People just don't feel comfortable associating those words with defense in general, or Iowa State athletics, respectively. Let alone the Iowa State defense in particular.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
We are going to blow their doors off the more I think about it.
You can feel that way as long as you don't lose your **** if it doesn't happen, because they are a good team and there is no legitimate reason to think this will be a cakewalk for either team. Just wishful thinking.

• Agree
Reactions: RezClone

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Right on, I'm also not worried about Illinois in the slightest. They have beaten nobody and this would be a massive win/upset for them. They were propped up all year along with Wisconsin to make Purdue look good. Their best win outside of the Big 10 was a nine-point neutral site win over FAU nearly four months ago. That is their only win this whole year over an AP Top 25 team. The only team they've beaten since early January ranked better than #30 in kenpom is Wisconsin. They lost by nine at home to Maryland for f*ck's sake. Shannon hero-ball and having Marcus Domask serve as your point guard works against Duquense and Morehead State and Fran McCaffrey defenses, they are in for a rude awakening on Thursday.

Clones by 18, don't see it being competitive.
The b12 has not done nearly as well as anticipated. The b10 has done much better than I expected. Will be interesting.

Reactions: GlenviewIllini

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
You can feel that way as long as you don't lose your **** if it doesn't happen, because they are a good team and there is no legitimate reason to think this will be a cakewalk for either team. Just wishful thinking.

And no lead will be safe if for some reason ISU gets one that's sizable.

People will be up in arms about it being a B1G team but Illinois is good no matter the conference.