Bridge Collapses in Baltimore

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Windows down, and unbuckle the seat belt.
If you go off that bridge you aren't surviving the impact with no seat belt. Probably wouldn't do well with one on either, but definitely screwed without one. There are tools you can buy to break windows and cut belts if you are that paranoid about it.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Philly is possible too,. Though thebig container ships that run through Baltimore, usually do not call Philly.

The rotations are normally Jersey, Baltimore, Norfolk, Savannah any combination as it relates to cargo from Asia.

The carriers are better equipped to divert cargo amongst those ports. On dock rail etc.

Philly is more of a refrigerated container port. Central/South America produce goes through Philly as well as Wilmington. Savannah also sees its share.

March and April are the lightest container volume months. So the ports should be able to handle it. If this was August/September it would be ugly

Good to know. We’ve got about 150 containers showing up over the next month and a half through Philly. I was just worried about Philly being the next port north of Baltimore. Sounds like not much overlap because these are smaller ships out of central and South America.

Reactions: fsanford

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
If you go off that bridge you aren't surviving the impact with no seat belt. Probably wouldn't do well with one on either, but definitely screwed without one. There are tools you can buy to break windows and cut belts if you are that paranoid about it.

Open the door and jump out 10 ft before the car hit the water. a moon roof is good for this too.

:cool:

ackatch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 22, 2021
Waukee

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I would have to imagine that hundreds of thousands of ships went under this bridge in it's 47 years of existence. It's honestly kind of amazing that nothing happened until now, knowing that the bridge was not designed for a collision like this, and there was no protection in place.
This is where my mind goes. It is INCREDIBLY difficult, expensive and I would argue unrealistic to remove all potential risk and failure opportunities. Sometimes **** happens.

Letterkenny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2023
Oh, I'm jumping out mid-air.

• Haha
Reactions: NorthCyd

Letterkenny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2023
I would have to imagine that hundreds of thousands of ships went under this bridge in it's 47 years of existence. It's honestly kind of amazing that nothing happened until now, knowing that the bridge was not designed for a collision like this, and there was no protection in place.
It sounds like the piers did have some protection, but not enough to stop a ship of that weight. More to prevent smaller boats from causing damage. Making it robust enough to withstand a collision from a shipping freighter of that size probably isn't practical.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron