Jamie Pollard on KXNO today

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
bdf7a148-727e-48f6-b698-e63ef31db9a0_text.gif
Tell me then, how much regular b*tching do you do about the internal temp of your corndog?

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Thoughts:
  • The 3D beveled Microsoft Word Art "I-State" logo stinks of early 2000's.
  • It most definitely does not look "clean" on TV - the bevel looks so stupid and yellow letters on white backgrounds is brutal. Graphic design companies really got obsessed
  • The bugle is an embarrassment to all of us. It is truly that bad, and THAT embarrassing. I am embarrassed that it ever got created.
  • The "Cy's head in a hurricane" also is really, really bad. What a stupid ass decision to greenlight that logo and force it into our secondary rotation (2nd only in stupidity to the bugle)
  • Any logo we've had since mid-70's are better than these. Any. The Orrnado and script lettering from 80's/90's is legit awesome. It was awesome then, it's still awesome, who gives a sh*t that we had some sh*tty football teams 30/40 years ago? No one.
  • The only version of the "I-State" that looks acceptable is the flat/non-beveled version.
  • The mid 90's transition to the "Cy in a blender" - I can understand what people don't (and didn't) like it, but it was an astonishingly comprehensive implementation. Dozens of iterations of the logo, covering different signage, script combinations, ISU, Iowa State, Cyclones, etc. All of it - a truly impressive "package" of different logos with a crazy amount of creativity and application, while also being cohesive. Initially - the tertiary blue was really well done, and was a fun change at that time. The uniforms, branding, signage, etc - across basketball and football for example - fit together really well. and the revamp was implemented really well (and consistently). It got off the rails as we started to split up the sports and which "brand" made which uniforms. The "block I" letter collars on the Russel Athletic tomato red football uniforms was bad; really bad (after the initial Troy/Darren David era uniforms with the new logo package were really solid). Football only got worse, and then transitioned to bottom of the clearance rack quality from Nike by '03. Basketball had a stretch of great uniforms from Adidas (including their last iteration I believe in '02/'03), and then they too went cheap. Like, almost unbelievably cheap. Looking back on those Stinson era jerseys - so goddamn embarrassing someone signed off on literally the cheapest uniforms Nike had to offer. Couldn't even get tertiary navy blue at that point; it became just "off the rack dark blue". So bad. At that point, the "Cy in a blender" did look really bad - because there was absolutely no cohesion or uniformity across any of the applications or gear. A boatload of generic McDonald's "red" and "yellow" stuff out there - including all our terrible uniforms, coaching attire, etc. - with this cartoony logo that was mostly (by design) dark red/dark navy/white. It didn't go together at all by the mid-2000's. All my old clothes, hats, etc. from early 2000's - aged terribly. My stuff from mid-90s to early 2000's - very cool, still. I still wear my Dedric #22 '97 Cardinal away jersey from time to time (RIP - my favorite Cyclone ever - goddamn did he look cool in an ISU uni!)
Regarding Pollard specifically? I get it - we're supposed to just "love" him, right? I personally think he's a prick a lot of times and he doesn't really care about ISU fan opinions. He has done some great things to balance the books and bring us to a much better position financially than what felt like our trajectory might be right before he got here. And certainly over the years there are other positives. But I would have expected any AD to do that; it's their job. He is very thin-skinned, comes across as whiny much of the time, and has made some nearly unforgivable coaching hire/loss mistakes over the last 15+ years. I haven't seen any "anger" against him on Twitter; most of the fanbase adores him blindly it seems and wants to put a statue of him up someday.
TLDR. Who cares?

• Dumb
Reactions: We Will Drink

We Will Drink

Feb 27, 2024
So can someone in the know explain why more player’s numbers aren’t retired? What is the actual criteria? Who votes for the Hall of Fame? Wondering minds want to know
Apparently former players vote on players to get into the Iowa State hall of Fame. Then after that, if you graduated from Iowa State, only then will you be considered. I don’t believe JP has hung a jersey under his tenure. But we honored a ref

• Dumb
Reactions: ribsnwhiskey

KLP630

Sep 6, 2013
Apparently former players vote on players to get into the Iowa State hall of Fame. Then after that, if you graduated from Iowa State, only then will you be considered. I don’t believe JP has hung a jersey under his tenure. But we honored a ref
They do share a similar location for summer leisure time.

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
Several years ago I emailed Jamie about a street crossing that seemed pretty dangerous after football games (especially at night). There was no light and they didn't have police watching it. So it was kind of a dodging traffic situation. I kid you not, the next week there was a traffic sign there warning cars to watch for pedestrians. I've always appreciated that.

I don't know why people ***** about him blocking them on twitter. It seems dumb, but honestly sometimes I think that people accidentally get blocked, so I wouldn't be surprised if that was some (obviously not all) of the cases. Randy Peterson has me blocked and I promise I've never tweeted at him or retweeted anything from him.
I too am blocked by Randy. I didn't tweet at him, but I said he wrote soft core Cyclone snuff pieces. That did it for him.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
Hey I pissed in that trough with Fran Fraschilla one year. Greatest "celebrity" encounter of my life.

In person, I saw Eisenhower and Nixon at West Branch, Ford playing golf in Aspen, Carter in Davenport during his river cruise, George HW Bush at the recommissioning of USS Iowa at Pascagoula, Biden in Cedar Rapids during the 2020 primary race.

I'm disappointed, though, that I did not enjoy a pee with any of them. So disappointed. Heh

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
Regarding Pollard specifically? I get it - we're supposed to just "love" him, right? I personally think he's a prick a lot of times and he doesn't really care about ISU fan opinions.

But, he's our prick. Patton wasn't beloved (I don't think), but soldiers followed him into hell.

I've got no clue about his opinion of ISU fan opinions and his receptivity to them. Although, if he's a decent leader, he must take account of what his constituents think, or his leadership would not be savvy and effective.

• Agree
Reactions: Mr.G.Spot

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
What sucks about the bathrooms and concessions? Every time I've needed to pee during a game I haven't had a problem.

I know concessions get backed up, but I'm not sure how to make that better without adding more. Even if you do that, you still have to staff it, which seems like a difficulty right now.

Yeah I am not sure what some of these people want. I think some of them spend more time in the bathroom and at concessions than they do actually watching the game.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
I usually listen to these after they air. Seems like I have the summary. Still worth listening?

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
I too am blocked by Randy. I didn't tweet at him, but I said he wrote soft core Cyclone snuff pieces. That did it for him.

Just occurred to me, are RP and others (JP, too) filtering out comments that have no value to them? Opinions that they deem worthless in context to their jobs? They have limited time, 24 hours a day are limiting. If you allowed yourself to, hours could be spent reviewing such messages. Who can afford to do that?

If certain tweeters have proven themselves, in the opinion of those who receive those posts, not worthwhile, why allow such tweeters to monopolize their precious time? I wouldn't. Would you?

Reactions: 67CY

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
Just occurred to me, are RP and others (JP, too) filtering out comments that have no value to them? Opinions that they deem worthless in context to their jobs? They have limited time, 24 hours a day are limiting. If you allowed yourself to, hours could be spent reviewing such messages. Who can afford to do that?

If certain tweeters have proven themselves, in the opinion of those who receive those posts, not worthwhile, why allow such tweeters to monopolize their precious time? I wouldn't. Would you?
Never read the comments.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
That was an extremely awkward moment. I guess he’s entitled to do what he wants. But Andy made the point that you can simply just mute them. Then goes on to say, just come up to him in person. Yeah Pollard, that’s easy to do if you aren’t a big donor.

Like I said in an earlier post, when I had a concern I emailed him. And my request was enacted the very next week. I'm not a big donor at all.

Now if you are going to email him about baseball or the I-State logo or whatever it is, he probably won't be super reactive. But if you have a legit concern, that's definitely an option.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
But, he's our prick. Patton wasn't beloved (I don't think), but soldiers followed him into hell.

I've got no clue about his opinion of ISU fan opinions and his receptivity to them. Although, if he's a decent leader, he must take account of what his constituents think, or his leadership would not be savvy and effective.

“Old Blood and Guts” - his guts, our blood