Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Eh, most of these guys are stenographers, not reporters, when it comes to stuff like this. Where were these league sources before noon today?
Yeah from what I saw of him last year most of what he said was Hot Garbage, not even close to accurate. Just slinging **** against the wall to see what sticks for clicks.

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
At what point do conferences get so large and have pods that we are basically back to regional conferences anyway?
The difference there is the regional divisions that are part of a larger conference now answer to a central governing body.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The last time Nebraska was relevant at a national level no current high school recruits were even born and they lost their Texas/Oklahoma pipeline when they left the Big 12. Not to mention it’s a low population state. I couldn’t disagree with you more.

Army and Harvard and Minnesota used to dominate the game.

That’s Nebraska. A “super league” is the last thing they need. I mean everybody realizes Nebraska football is in Nebraska right?

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
This is really the best case scenario in this round for ISU. If this is slow-played, a lot of uncertainty remains and it gives the PAC-12 more time to pull something out of their a$$es. Ripping the band aid off and letting things get settled is the best way forward. I’m referring to the report that UW and Oregon are leaving.

I'd think that the only thing holding the Big10 back from announcing them is that they want to wait until after the UC regents vote on UCLA. To have the PAC implode with those two might prevent them from approving UCLA from going.

Once UCLA is in the clear, they'll pull that last domino and watch the whole thing tumble.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
It’s hilarious the Hawkeye boards think this has us in meltdown mode when we pretty much unanimously agree this makes us the #3 conference when we started the day worried about possibility of slipping to #5.

This is the only day of realignment saga since big 12 first formed that HASN’T been all bad news.
Looks like critical observer is one of those dumb fans over there.

• Haha
Reactions: HFCS

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
So let’s say the things are done for now. At least the rest of the summer. That means there are 10 large state schools in the west and 6 large state schools on the plains.

Washington
Washington State
Oregon
Oregon State
Utah
Colorado
Arizona
Arizona State
Cal
Stanford
Tech
Houston
Oklahoma State
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State

I mean…. Yea, let’s do it.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
PAC being tied to their network could push them more toward a dissloution. For an enterprise that has lost money since it started, losing UCLA and USC and replacing with a hypothetical of KU or BYU would pull them down farther from profitability. Without the bell cows, a 24 hour PAC-TV is dead. Without a successful PAC-TV, where does the money come from for them to compete against the tens of millions ESPN/FOX are throwing the other conferences? It's everyone for themselves in that environment.

• Agree
Reactions: Rods79

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
So how did Oregon with their Nike money get bypassed in this whole deal, they have more recent success than either USC or UCLA.

• Agree
Reactions: CYCLNST8

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
It is hard to keep up with this thread=

Important questions-

Will there be any protests at the PAC schools if they try join a conference in any way affiliated with the state of Texas?

Will the California schools even be able to fly to Texas or Oklahoma with some of their laws that aren't acceptable to California?

How long will it take and many times will the normal 27 seat charter for basketball and non-revenue sports have to stop to refuel on that flight from LA to Newark or Happy Valley?

Important stuff!

Regarding Texas travel, so long tax payer money isn’t used (money used for travel
Is from private donations) then it won’t be a problem. This has happened before.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
So let’s say the things are done for now. At least the rest of the summer. That means there are 10 large state schools in the west and 6 large state schools on the plains.

Washington
Washington State
Oregon
Oregon State
Utah
Colorado
Arizona
Arizona State
Cal
Stanford
Tech
Houston
Oklahoma State
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State

I mean…. Yea, let’s do it.

Stanford is not a state school.

• Winner
Reactions: MeanDean

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
It is hard to keep up with this thread=

Important questions-

Will there be any protests at the PAC schools if they try join a conference in any way affiliated with the state of Texas?

Will the California schools even be able to fly to Texas or Oklahoma with some of their laws that aren't acceptable to California?

How long will it take and many times will the normal 27 seat charter for basketball and non-revenue sports have to stop to refuel on that flight from LA to Newark or Happy Valley?

Important stuff!
Yes they make it work, using some accounting. Basically saying the travel money comes from AD revenue from Donors and conference, not from the State. So they can pay for such just like sending coaches on recruiting trips. Its just they cant use State money etc.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
So how did Oregon with their Nike money get bypassed in this whole deal, they have more recent success than either USC or UCLA.

Good question, my guess is that similar to Texas and OU, USC and UCLA were the ones driving this together.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Probably because they can always be nabbed.
Really smart by the B1G to get the LA schools before the SEC.

Reactions: heitclone

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
This is where college sports starts to lose its luster. Part of what makes college athletics great is that it’s regional. USC vs Rutgers at 11 am is meaningless.

Also, Washington St and Oregon St are in worse shape than we were around this time last summer

True, but that might happen once every 5 years. I still think the Big10 takes at least 6 Pac12 teams. So they will play 5 of 9 Big12 games against current Pac12 teams and then a blend of 4 Big10 teams. So in any year their Big10 schedule could include Iowa, Indiana, Michigan and Rutgers.

My guess is the Big10 will legislate start times for former Pac12 teams, no 11am CT/9am PT starts. The earliest would be 1pm CT. After all the goal is increasing West Coast eye balls on games.