Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Jordan being the only other true shooter on the team hurt him tremendously too. Keegan is obviously a solid shooter but he's not floating around the 3 point line because that's not his game. When Iowa has multiple shooters on the floor, like last year with CJ, JW and Jordan, now all of a sudden the defense has to account for three threats and must scramble when helping off on Garza. Jordan was able to get a lot of easy looks the last couple of years because of that.

Iowa's going to have a shooting problem again next year too and it'll probably even worse. Sandfort will be better but how much better is the question. Right now he doesn't belong on a P5 court. Then you have Ulis and Perkins who both aren't shooters. Chris Murray is effective from out there but next year he's going to have to play the Keegan role of being around the basket to clean up shots. Having him stand at the 3 point line would be dumb. And then Toussaint just isn't good from out there. So you have Josh Dix and Dasonte Bowen, both freshman who likely won't be ready.
Ain't it great?

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Fun fact from last night ex-Hawk Jack Nunge only played 29 minutes and scored 23 points. Did I mention he came off the bench and did this. He scored 23 in 29 minutes and Iowa could only muster 46 for the entire game!

1642692435830.png

• Haha
  • Informative
Reactions: NWICY and VeloClone

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
Jordan being the only other true shooter on the team hurt him tremendously too. Keegan is obviously a solid shooter but he's not floating around the 3 point line because that's not his game. When Iowa has multiple shooters on the floor, like last year with CJ, JW and Jordan, now all of a sudden the defense has to account for three threats and must scramble when helping off on Garza. Jordan was able to get a lot of easy looks the last couple of years because of that.

Iowa's going to have a shooting problem again next year too and it'll probably even worse. Sandfort will be better but how much better is the question. Right now he doesn't belong on a P5 court. Then you have Ulis and Perkins who both aren't shooters. Chris Murray is effective from out there but next year he's going to have to play the Keegan role of being around the basket to clean up shots. Having him stand at the 3 point line would be dumb. And then Toussaint just isn't good from out there. So you have Josh Dix and Dasonte Bowen, both freshman who likely won't be ready.
Bohannon doesn't have another year?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I don't think Jordan will ever play competitive basketball after this year. He is really seeing how hard it is to get a clean look without Garza and Wieskamp demanding all the attention. When he does get a clean look, I think he is too anxious and then misses the few attempts he gets.

Are you saying the YMCA isn't competitive?

He'll be there to prove the haters wrong.

And actually there's probably a bunch of former area high school players around that he'd struggle against.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
That was a really bad call to end the game...I mean Murray did body him slightly which at 6'8 with long arms i'm not sure why he even touched him at 22 feet...but...wts...incredibly weak ass call.

There were some other missed calls in that game too.. late in 2nd half Keegan drove to basket and actualy lost the ball..got it right back and went up and scored. Official said it was hit by Rutgers player but nobody touched it on replay...should been a travel.

As for Iowa...They are the only team in the Top 40 in the NET with ZERO Quad 1 wins.

They have truly beaten nobody.

I said in another post key to beating Iowa is to put your best defensive guard on Touissaint or whoever is running pg and do not allow them to get into the lane...Notice every offensive half court set Touissant starts by trying to get into the lane while others are cutting and rotating etc..

You cut off that pentration most plays and it just stalls Iowa's offense. This is a big reason why ISU pounded Iowa...Hunter just never allowed Touissant to get into lane.

Iowa should have kept pressing...it is by far their most effective defense.

Iowa also got the ball back with just under a minute to go on a reversed out of bounds call. The ref signaled out on Iowa and went to the monitor and reversed the call. There wasn't an angle that showed that should have been overturned. But hey, nobody wants to talk about that...

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I don't think Jordan will ever play competitive basketball after this year. He is really seeing how hard it is to get a clean look without Garza and Wieskamp demanding all the attention. When he does get a clean look, I think he is too anxious and then misses the few attempts he gets.

LMAO what was your first clue?

Reactions: CycloneVet

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

And actually there's probably a bunch of former area high school players around that he'd struggle against.
There are some really good leagues in this area. Lots of former athletes and even some ex-D1/D2 players in some of them.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

Maybe he should go the intramural route to get that championship shirt. Probably the only championship "trophy" he will ever see. Remember when Brodie was gloating about winning his at Grinnell?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
So a win that's not Quad 1 today could be Quad 1 tomorrow?
It takes into account how teams get better / get worse. So if Indiana wins, their NET would go up and it could be a Q1 win, however depending on where they're ranked, it still could be a Q2 win because Iowa beat Indiana at home.

But yeah Indiana could be Iowa's first and then Iowa will have 4 more opportunities: vs. Purdue, @ Ohio State, vs. Michigan State and @ Illinois.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I actually agree with him here. He is completely useless if he’s not making shots. He doesn’t/can’t guard, and doesn’t make plays for teammates

if he’s not making shots, he’s virtually unplayable
And he averages the 2nd most minutes on the team..

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I think Indiana is 33. If they beat Purdue I think they'll slide into top 30 which someone can correct me but I think is a quad 1 win. My understanding is:
Home 1-30
Neutral 1-50
Away 1-75
Yep that's all correct. I do not think Indiana wins tonight FWIW.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy