Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
Bohannon is 9/38 from beyond the arc in B1G play this year which is about 24%. That's awful when you're a guy that's predicated for only being able to shoot.
Especially when you play as much as he does. We have to trade our defense for him to be out there. If he's not hitting ok everyone goes through that but you have to play him less

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Especially when you play as much as he does. We have to trade our defense for him to be out there. If he's not hitting ok everyone goes through that but you have to play him less
And for God sakes Jordan get the damn ball out of your hands when the shot clock is running down. Get it to Keegan or someone who can do something. I've watched damn near every Iowa game this year and there is at least 1 time per game he takes a terrible 3 with an expiring shot clock. Idk if he's trying to be the hero or if he no one else is calling for the ball or what. Figure it out lol

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Definitely should of pressed more AGAIN. I think we were 3-3 in turnovers in that press but this is 1 time I can't really complain about the defense. We frequently struggle with physical defenses and was reason why I thought Rutgers +3 was a good bet.

That press and the 3/4 court trap really hurt Rutgers. Huge mistake by Fran. Would've won that game easily.

Also couldn't believe how unproductive the bench was. As bad as Bohannon was, the bench was even worse. That was a ton of completely unproductive minutes out of that bench. Rutgers did a great job against Murray, and nobody stepped up enough.

Looks like the bench combined for 0 points, 0 assists and 3 rebounds.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
That was a really bad call to end the game...I mean Murray did body him slightly which at 6'8 with long arms i'm not sure why he even touched him at 22 feet...but...wts...incredibly weak ass call.

There were some other missed calls in that game too.. late in 2nd half Keegan drove to basket and actualy lost the ball..got it right back and went up and scored. Official said it was hit by Rutgers player but nobody touched it on replay...should been a travel.

As for Iowa...They are the only team in the Top 40 in the NET with ZERO Quad 1 wins.

They have truly beaten nobody.

I said in another post key to beating Iowa is to put your best defensive guard on Touissaint or whoever is running pg and do not allow them to get into the lane...Notice every offensive half court set Touissant starts by trying to get into the lane while others are cutting and rotating etc..

You cut off that pentration most plays and it just stalls Iowa's offense. This is a big reason why ISU pounded Iowa...Hunter just never allowed Touissant to get into lane.

Iowa should have kept pressing...it is by far their most effective defense.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Well when he gets to the NBA as a sharp shooter off the bench it will be better.

B1G is tougher than the NBA.

-Hok fan in a dive bar last night. I'm assume.
No chance this year is going like he thought it would. I don't think he understood his worth in NIL and overvalued himself big time. Guys in his shoes usually come back to up their stock in getting to the league, G-League, or overseas but Jordan isn't good enough to make it in any of the top ones. If he chooses the overseas route, he's likely going to be playing for low-level team making mediocre cash in a country he's not familiar with. That's tough for people with an ego his size and I'd probably give him a 10% sticks it out.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
That was a really bad call to end the game...I mean Murray did body him slightly which at 6'8 with long arms i'm not sure why he even touched him at 22 feet...but...wts...incredibly weak ass call.

There were some other missed calls in that game too.. late in 2nd half Keegan drove to basket and actualy lost the ball..got it right back and went up and scored. Official said it was hit by Rutgers player but nobody touched it on replay...should been a travel.

As for Iowa...They are the only team in the Top 40 in the NET with ZERO Quad 1 wins.

I said in another post key to beating Iowa is to put your best defensive guard on Touissaint or whoever is running pg and do not allow them to get into the lane...Notice every offensive half court set Touissant starts by trying to get into the lane while others are cutting and rotating etc..

You cut off that pentration most plays and it just stalls Iowa's offense. This is a big reason why ISU pounded Iowa...Hunter just never allowed Touissant to get into lane.

The problem Iowa had with pressing last night was that their press usually can only be set up on made baskets by them with a dead ball / stoppage in time. All their guys need to be in the right position or else it's not as effective and can lead to easy baskets on the other end. Iowa just rarely had opportunities to do that, but there were a couple times at the end of the game where they either didn't get into it or it wasn't called.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
No chance this year is going like he thought it would. I don't think he understood his worth in NIL and overvalued himself big time. Guys in his shoes usually come back to up their stock in getting to the league, G-League, or overseas but Jordan isn't good enough to make it in any of the top ones. If he chooses the overseas route, he's likely going to be playing for low-level team making mediocre cash in a country he's not familiar with. That's tough for people with an ego his size and I'd probably give him a 10% sticks it out.

I don't think Jordan will ever play competitive basketball after this year. He is really seeing how hard it is to get a clean look without Garza and Wieskamp demanding all the attention. When he does get a clean look, I think he is too anxious and then misses the few attempts he gets.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Maybe the officials are tired of Fran and Conner constancy yapping at them and deicide to hit back a little. Yes, that was a bad call but that's life on the road.
I don't understand Connor's thought process. He argues 90% of the calls that don't go his way. In the first half there was a ball that clearly went off his own leg, like you could see it clear as day on the replay, and Connor was chirping at the ref "No way man, no way, that's a bad call."

Like dude, give it a rest.

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
I don't think Jordan will ever play competitive basketball after this year. He is really seeing how hard it is to get a clean look without Garza and Wieskamp demanding all the attention. When he does get a clean look, I think he is too anxious and then misses the few attempts he gets.
Last night he got quite a few good looks which is the concerning thing.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Last night he got quite a few good looks which is the concerning thing.

Waiting for the....... lighting was bad, floor was slippery, back discomfort, eye was irritated, being heckled, hoop was not 10' off the floor, that time of the month, etc. Let the excuses flow.

Reactions: mikeiastat

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Jordan being the only other true shooter on the team hurt him tremendously too. Keegan is obviously a solid shooter but he's not floating around the 3 point line because that's not his game. When Iowa has multiple shooters on the floor, like last year with CJ, JW and Jordan, now all of a sudden the defense has to account for three threats and must scramble when helping off on Garza. Jordan was able to get a lot of easy looks the last couple of years because of that.

Iowa's going to have a shooting problem again next year too and it'll probably even worse. Sandfort will be better but how much better is the question. Right now he doesn't belong on a P5 court. Then you have Ulis and Perkins who both aren't shooters. Chris Murray is effective from out there but next year he's going to have to play the Keegan role of being around the basket to clean up shots. Having him stand at the 3 point line would be dumb. And then Toussaint just isn't good from out there. So you have Josh Dix and Dasonte Bowen, both freshman who likely won't be ready.

• Agree
Reactions: Mississippi Clone

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

Iowa has zero Quad 1 wins?