Big 12 additional expansion

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
Bringing USC into the Big 12 would be just like bringing UT in 1996. And would probably play out the same way over time.
Agree, I would be fine not having a huge name brand in the conference - let the conference be known as as the conference of peers. In time a school may become a blue blood/name brand. If the conference expands to 14 Colorado and ASU would be my first choice and if 16 add Utah and Arizona. All 4 good solid adds without the attitude problems of a blue blood.

Itjustdoesn'tmatter

Sep 9, 2021
Agree, I would be fine not having a huge name brand in the conference - let the conference be known as as the conference of peers. In time a school may become a blue blood/name brand. If the conference expands to 14 Colorado and ASU would be my first choice and if 16 add Utah and Arizona. All 4 good solid adds without the attitude problems of a blue blood.
If we go to 16, how would you set up pods with 5 teams in the west? Or would you go with some other setup?

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
I think one from Cali would be a part of any addition that big, if available. We still think getting into big states matters for recruiting and such, right? That may be so 2010, I'm old.

WestCYde Clone

May 12, 2006
I think one from Cali would be a part of any addition that big, if available. We still think getting into big states matters for recruiting and such, right? That may be so 2010, I'm old.
I don't see the Big 10 raiding the Pac 12. I don't see Pac 12 schools heading to the Big 12. IMO, if teams are added to the Big 12 it will be USF and San Diego State. Tampa has a metro area of 2.9 million people. USF has over 49,000 students. San Diego has a metro population of over 3.2 million. SDS has over 33,000 students. The Chargers are gone from San Diego. A new stadium is being built on campus. USF has made rumblings of building a stadium on campus. Obviously, it is the natural rival to UCF and would give the Big 12 a large footprint in Florida. However, before USF would be admitted to the Big 12 it needs to get the football and basketball team upgraded. In contrast to the above, the entire state of Idaho has 1.8 million people. I think Memphis also has too small of potential followers. It is VOL country.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
I don't see the Big 10 raiding the Pac 12. I don't see Pac 12 schools heading to the Big 12. IMO, if teams are added to the Big 12 it will be USF and San Diego State. Tampa has a metro area of 2.9 million people. USF has over 49,000 students. San Diego has a metro population of over 3.2 million. SDS has over 33,000 students. The Chargers are gone from San Diego. A new stadium is being built on campus. USF has made rumblings of building a stadium on campus. Obviously, it is the natural rival to UCF and would give the Big 12 a large footprint in Florida. However, before USF would be admitted to the Big 12 it needs to get the football and basketball team upgraded. In contrast to the above, the entire state of Idaho has 1.8 million people. I think Memphis also has too small of potential followers. It is VOL country.
I don't think that crap matters very much. It might be 6 or 7 on the list but there are a lot of large institutions in populated areas that aren't a good idea. You hit a couple.

Gilbyone

Nov 8, 2020
4 time zones will not work. Go west only if we lose the old & new teams in the eastern time zone. 3 time zones will be hard enough. 4 time zones will only work if the players have no classes during their competition period.

Imagine flying from WVa, Cin, or CF to USC (etc.) for a mid week BB game, and returning to classes the next day. Of course it would work if their classes are: "a study of ESPN analysts", and "sweeping the basketball floor", and "how to say "will there be fries with that?"" and "how to sleep on an airplane".

Reactions: Die4Cy

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
4 time zones will not work. Go west only if we lose the old & new teams in the eastern time zone. 3 time zones will be hard enough. 4 time zones will only work if the players have no classes during their competition period.

Imagine flying from WVa, Cin, or CF to USC (etc.) for a mid week BB game, and returning to classes the next day. Of course it would work if their classes are: "a study of ESPN analysts", and "sweeping the basketball floor", and "how to say "will there be fries with that?"" and "how to sleep on an airplane".
Depends on how large the conference is.

4 time zones is difficult in the traditional conference model.

Conferences are becoming more just a means for media content bundling- at 16 teams or more, the time zones in the division are what matters Imo. With decent distribution, it’s pretty feasible scheduling. At 20, you play your pod and the other pod in your division, then have rare, but hyped crossover games to add valuation.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

If the Big10 stays pat, then so should the Big12. Only reason to expand further is if you can be one of the remaining power 4 by killing the PAC or if more schools leave. To add more G5 schools is a bad move and will make the power conference argument more difficult. We took the only real viable G5 teams already. There's nothing left worthwhile.

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
Reactions: Cloneon

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Add University of Hawaii. Great excuse to go to some away games. Also will give us games non-stop throughout the day and night.

Gilbyone

Nov 8, 2020
Considering the new era where we will have to pay our star athletes, it will be a good thing that OU and T have left, as the rest of us are about equal in donors to pay the stars.

The problem with the now allowed payment is that we will bring in a 3star player, teach them up, and see them go through the transfer portal to a SEC team with more money.

• Agree
Reactions: WhoISthis

ruflosn

Dec 21, 2008
Considering the new era where we will have to pay our star athletes, it will be a good thing that OU and T have left, as the rest of us are about equal in donors to pay the stars.

The problem with the now allowed payment is that we will bring in a 3star player, teach them up, and see them go through the transfer portal to a SEC team with more money.
You don’t think fans of Iowa State will not contribute to NIL?

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn

Truthfully, do you believe Breece Hall would have left ISU for say Auburn if NIL was in place, he being the classic candidate example on today's squad, correct?

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010

We are very close to the streaming paradigm shifting to a point where scheduling into a tv network viewing window matters less and less. I agree that there are practical reasons why a conference would not want to compete across that large an area, but I am not sure the people that matters the most to carry much sway.

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
Out here right now in Phoenix area and watched ASU beat Colorado at an ASU bar. I frequently come out here. There is zero interest in ASU or Arizona for associating with Texas or the Plains states. They view themselves as an extension of California. If the top Pac-12 teams (USC, Oregon, etc.) leave, they may consider a merger of the rest instead of both leaving themselves.