Arthur kaluma

Jdk

Feb 27, 2019
Kaluma is heading to Creighton university to play for the blue jays. A former unlv recruit!!

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Kaluma is heading to Creighton university to play for the blue jays. A former unlv recruit!!

Interesting. GMac and TJ are tight, so I'm guessing TJ vouched for him. But it seems strange that we didn't go after him.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Wow - huge get for GMac. I would've been good with one of those "I don't see you getting any playing time at ISU" conversations in order to clear up a scholarship for this guy. He is just a few slots behind Hunter. I know it wouldn't show up that way because it would've only been a 2-commit class, but it would've been the best class in the Big 12, as it would've been 2 commits with grades pushing 99.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Doesn't seem like TH had interest in any of the 10ish UNLV transfers.

Wonder if TJ agreed when he departed not to go after any of his existing UNLV players.

Either that or they weren't very good.

Reactions: nowncarolina

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
3 top 100 recruits and Hawkins transferring in. It still baffles me how unsuccessful McDermott was at ISU.

Garrett -- future NBA guy
Staiger -- 40%+ 3PT shooter
Gilstrap -- #1 JUCO in the country, Big 12 newcomer of the year
Brackins -- future 21st overall pick
Hamilton -- future NBA guy
---
Colvin -- 4* PG recruit
Christopherson - 40%+ 3PT shooter
Dendy -- 4* transfer recruit, would win CPOTY at Middle Tennessee State

That team somehow went 4-12 in the Big 12.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
---
Colvin -- 4* PG recruit

Yep. McD issue at ISU wasn't recruiting it was player retention and not adjusting from MVC style of play to B12 style quick enough. McD learned from his time in Ames and was able to adjust the play style to fit the league at Creighton (though did get extra time back in MVC before moving to the Big East).

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Yep. McD issue at ISU wasn't recruiting it was player retention and not adjusting from MVC style of play to B12 style quick enough. McD learned from his time in Ames and was able to adjust the play style to fit the league at Creighton (though did get extra time back in MVC before moving to the Big East).

Even with the player retention issues... read between the lines, Wesley Johnson... he still assembled (or TJ did, up to you who you want to credit there) some pretty talented rosters that should have been able to win.

I wonder what the expected outcome for that roster should have been with median-level coaching. Hard to see a team with three future NBA players not making the NCAA tournament somehow, right?

Reactions: BigCyFan

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
---
Colvin -- 4* PG recruit

Colvin and Dendy weren't good at basketball.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I believe our roster is full

Yeah, it's full now. But everyone knew this kid was transferring a month ago. We had a spot for him back then if both parties were interested.

• Agree
Reactions: Sigmapolis

NebraskaCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 3, 2009
Omaha
I remember hearing an interview with McD shortly after coming to Creighton about his struggles at ISU. From the article, it sounded like the Wesley Johnson transfer fiasco (non-diagnosed fracture in ankle/foot and pushing him to play thru the pain) caused him to lose his way on how he dealt with his top-end talent. He started letting them do what they wanted for the good/bad of the team.

I remember the first year of McD, he told Jiri (who loved living at the 3pt line under Wayne) that he wouldn't play if he didn't start playing the post. Jiri turned into a decent post player by the end of the year. Fast forward to Brackins, who would disappear in games because he would hover around the 3-pt line and not engage in post play. I think that McD would have been more direct with Brackins if he wasn't doubting his methodology of handling players.