Best college tailgates by State

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Northwestern is astoundingly bad...almost like they're trying to suck at it. BUT...what do you compare to? Never been to a UI tailgate...

Also, though I've never been, The Grove in Oxford is pretty legendary so I'm wondering how MSU tops Ole Miss?

Illinois is good but different. People who tailgate are grads and older people for the most part. Most students go to the bars before hand.

Reactions: 20eyes

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
Florida beats Florida State solely based on the largest outdoor cocktail party.
Northwestern is astoundingly bad...almost like they're trying to suck at it. BUT...what do you compare to? Never been to a UI tailgate...

Also, though I've never been, The Grove in Oxford is pretty legendary so I'm wondering how MSU tops Ole Miss?

I feel like it's a real missed opportunity for Iowa St not to have a name for its tailgating like the outdoor cocktail party or the Grove.

• Agree
Reactions: JM4CY and 20eyes

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
We were at the 2010 game that ISU won (yay, P Rhoads and A Arnaud!) It was drizzly before the game, so we were "tailgating" in our parking garage. Yes, it was weird. The stadium is enormous, but was not impressed by the scene outside it. Just little pockets of tailgating here and there -- ISU blows it out of the water. Austin, of course, was awesome the night before, though. The best part, besides winning the game, was listening to the call-in show on the drive back to FW. "We got beat by a bunch of pig farmers -- this is totally unacceptable!"

Tailgating, ISU wins. After the game, Austin wins. Unless you get too drunk and try to fight the cops on horses.

Reactions: cyhiphopp

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I’ve driven through Northwestern’s campus multiple times on Saturday mornings of home games and you couldn’t convince me there’s a game in a couple hours. But I really don’t know who else you would put above them. Illinois is just too much of a pro sports state. U of Illinois has home crowds that rival Kansas level of suck. Northwestern has more visitors than home fans.

I lived in Chicago near downtown for 15 years and my office wasn't that far from Evanston.

I met two NW fans and one Illini fan the entire time. They just aren't a thing.

It is fun when Ohio State fans come into the city for a party to play NW and then they sulk around crying all night because NW beat them. I remember one year in particular it was hilarious seeing so many depressed Ohio State fans just completely lost wandering around the city depressed looking.

Reactions: cyclonedave25

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
I've been to every current Big 12 stadium outside of Tech and I'd put KSU towards the top, so the fact that they put KU on there, which is the absolute worst by a large margin, completely discredits this list. Like others have said, having Northwestern and Texas on there also is quite bad.

KSt has a decent tailgate scene and I had a blast with some of their fans at Farmageddon when we played at Arrowhead. But Ive also had a good time tailgating in Lawrence. After ISU bludgeoned KU one year, KU fans invited us to their outdoor house party like 300 feet from the stadium and we got hammered with them. I think KU tailgates could be better if more fans showed up. Right now though, I agree, EMAW is better even if their mascot is ****ing stupid.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I think I was in Finkbine ages ago last time I tailgated there. It just seems weird to me that the best tailgating is in someone's yard. Seems counterintuitive when compared to wide open grass lots full of debauchery like at ISU. Even the paved lots are rocking here.
And no matter where your friends, co workers, etc are, they are within walking distance. That’s not the case in Iowa ******.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
This sounds crazy but I’ve heard **** gets wild on Montana Grizzly games. People up there are just completely different kinds of people. I’ve not been (but have seen the both Montana and Montana state stadiums) but I could be sold on the idea that it would super fun.

Montana games and the tailgate scene are epic. They take Griz football seriously up there and cops pretty much don't enforce any kind of open container laws on game days. They don't really enforce anything. The bar scene in Missoula is also great after the games. The stadium is in the shadow of Mt. Jumbo and the scenery is fantastic. Every game is packed and their mascot always used to be in national mascot of the year contention and was always doing super dangerous and awesome stuff. 1620868394153.png

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
their mascot always used to be in national mascot of the year contention and was always doing super dangerous and awesome stuff.
JauntyCheapBluebreastedkookaburra-max-1mb.gif

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Montana games and the tailgate scene are epic. They take Griz football seriously up there and cops pretty much don't enforce any kind of open container laws on game days. They don't really enforce anything. The bar scene in Missoula is also great after the games. The stadium is in the shadow of Mt. Jumbo and the scenery is fantastic. Every game is packed and their mascot always used to be in national mascot of the year contention and was always doing super dangerous and awesome stuff. View attachment 85181

I have a couple buddies that played for UNI and they played out there. Said it’s a really awesome atmosphere and place to play. People spilling drinks on them on the sidelines during the game got annoying though! :p

Reactions: Macloney

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Having tailgated at UWis, I can tell you with certainty that those folks really know how to tailgate. Like Nebby, there's not a lot of competition - but Badger tailgates are a blast.

Never done much of the lawn stuff but for a 'bar' scene the best spot was Rocky Rococo's lot. Had lots of good beer on tap, grilled food, short lines, and outdoor TVs to take in whatever game was on. Also close enough to Camp Randall if going to the game.

Reactions: SCyclone

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Kansas is the biggest outlier here. If KSU has any kind of tailgating atmosphere it is better than Kansas by default.
Yeah, no. The average age of a KSU tailgater is about 70. As for KU...what else do they have to do other than tailgate...certainly not go into the stadium.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I honestly don't know any Iowa fan that has tried to debate that Iowa tailgating is better than ISU. If you know the right people to park in their yard you might have a great time, but I have heard from plenty of people complaining how bad the tailgating/parking situation is over there. Everyone who comes to an ISU game essentially has the same experience. You are going to park relatively close to the stadium and be surrounded by a bunch of other tailgaters having a good time.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
My thoughts based on trips I've made:

-Iowa's tailgating is really fun if you get in with the right group in the right place. It's ******* awful if you're in the wrong place. Where ISU beats Iowa is in ease of access and convenience. The intensity and passion behind the tailgates is pretty similar. Iowa's an upper tier tailgating school, we're just a little better.

-KSU is better than KU, but KU actually has a really fun gameday atmosphere. No one really gives a **** and there isn't a big set of tailgates at the stadium, but there are fun little neighborhood bars in that part of Lawrence (it reminds me of West Ames and places like Thumbs and Mothers) that draw a big game day crowd. Go to Lawrence, get $5 tickets, and bar hop from Louise's West (great Bloodys), Rick's, The Jayhawk, and The Wheel and tell me you don't have a good time. KSU's set up is extremely similar to ours, but a little smaller and just a little less fun, IMO. I realize it's weird that I'd say KSU is better and spend all this time talking up KU.

-Never been to OU, but I really like OSU's tailgating. Kind of like ours, but not quite as open or extensive.

-The State of Texas is a coin flip between A&M and UT. A&M has a better set up, I'd say, as it's a lot like ours. UT has a decent set up, plus you have the option of hitting Austin places. The local Austin Cyclone club does a phenomenal job of hosting a tailgate, and that may cloud my opinion too.

-I just realized that they ranked Marshall as the best tailgate in West Virginia. Someone is trying to piss off WVU fans. WVU arguably has a better tailgate scene than we do. Arguably.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I honestly don't know any Iowa fan that has tried to debate that Iowa tailgating is better than ISU. If you know the right people to park in their yard you might have a great time, but I have heard from plenty of people complaining how bad the tailgating/parking situation is over there. Everyone who comes to an ISU game essentially has the same experience. You are going to park relatively close to the stadium and be surrounded by a bunch of other tailgaters having a good time.

Yeah, almost all of my Iowa fan friends who came to our tailgates in Ames concede that ISU is a better tailgate scene.

I've never met anyone that tailgated at an ISU game and wasn't impressed.