JTS Improvements - Want More

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Looking at the pictures from inside the stadium sure makes it look easy after all the changes to put in a lower level of seats where the hillsides are now. Not sure how much the capacity would go up because I think they count the hillsides as part of our capacity of 61,500.

Does anyone know how they count the hillsides in the capacity?

Hillsides count like any other seat. They sell that space, and it all goes toward the 61,500.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
Thanks so much for sharing these! I was trying to find an equivalent "before" picture and couldn't quite get the correct angle from photos online, but this still kind of works for a current before/after comparison...

View attachment 85111 View attachment 85112
The panted logo in the second picture must have been decoration for graduation. But it looks cool in the offseason to have that in the middle of the field.

• Agree
Reactions: Remo Gaggi

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Yeah, the upgrades over the years have lacked a coherent vision because we're operating on a shoestring budget without a deep pool of wealthy donors and rich football history. I'm thankful for what we've got. For years I dreamed of having a bowled-in endzone. The wind tunnel is finally gone, folks. That makes me happy.

An updated pressbox would be icing on the cake. We'll get there eventually.

Reactions: JimmyChitwood

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Yeah, the upgrades over the years have lacked a coherent vision because we're operating on a shoestring budget without a deep pool of wealthy donors and rich football history. I'm thankful for what we've got. For years I dreamed of having a bowled-in endzone. The wind tunnel is finally gone, folks. That makes me happy.

An updated pressbox would be icing on the cake. We'll get there eventually.

I can confirm, after sitting in the miserable weather for the commencement ceremony on Saturday, that the wind tunnel is NOT GONE. It was miserable.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Is anyone else underwhelmed with the design of the SPC? For all of the guff that the Jacobson building gets, I'm still a little miffed that we drew up a really big trailer for our big facilities upgrade?

Don't get me wrong, all of these upgrades are great and needed. I just thought a glass trailer would get more criticism.

psychlones

Jun 13, 2006
Ames, IA
Thank you for the before and "after" pictures from inside the stadium!!
To be clear, the before picture was taken from an internet search, and the after picture was taken from the post by @Cycsk earlier in the thread. I don't want to take credit where it's not due, I just wanted to more apples to apples comparison! :D

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
It wasn't long ago that the stadium looked completely pathetic. Dan and the team walking down the ramp with Jock Jams playing. No real replay board. No south endzone.

We look like we belong now.

Attachments

• interior.jpg
    interior.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 144
  • IA_Ames_Cyclone_Stadium_CON_J13410__66677.1426858940.1280.1280.jpg
    IA_Ames_Cyclone_Stadium_CON_J13410__66677.1426858940.1280.1280.jpg
    800.8 KB · Views: 143
  • 3932236023_c5dbc91586_b.jpg
    3932236023_c5dbc91586_b.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 142
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 137

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Is anyone else underwhelmed with the design of the SPC? For all of the guff that the Jacobson building gets, I'm still a little miffed that we drew up a really big trailer for our big facilities upgrade?

Don't get me wrong, all of these upgrades are great and needed. I just thought a glass trailer would get more criticism.
Some people find anything to b*tch about.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Once they get this project wrapped up later this summer, I would expect the focus will turn to the bridge and the east RV parking lot. After that, back to the north lots and to somehow finalize the Pollard Entertainment District and the new hotel plans. Along with the Hilton remodeling project. Lots to look forward to, let's hope they get some cameras installed so we can all continue to comment and speculate on what's going on, construction wise.

Beat Iowa!

The bridge bid date is May 27th with substantial completion date of August 2022. Hilton renovations bid date is set for April 2022 so that project is still a ways off. Hopefully they can start it after a successful first season under TJ and some momentum. I do think they will continue to work on some kind of renovations/upgrades to the ISC but its not going to be funded by the Athletic Department. If anything happens, it will be because private developers are willing to invest. I agree a hotel would be a good start. If Jamie can get that to happen, it might be as big of an accomplishment as any other facilities upgrades he's gotten done. I'm skeptical though.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Some people find anything to b*tch about.

I know criticizing anything ISU is off limits for many of you, but just relax. I'm really the only one that sees a huge trailer plopped on top of another when I look at the SPC? I just think we could've been a little more imaginative there, but I understand the primary benefits of the building are on the inside.

Reactions: GoldCy

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I know criticizing anything ISU is off limits for many of you, but just relax. I'm really the only one that sees a huge trailer plopped on top of another when I look at the SPC? I just think we could've been a little more imaginative there, but I understand the primary benefits of the building are on the inside.
Have you seen it in person?

Reactions: Lewey24

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
No. Is it a different shape in person?
giphy.gif

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
No. Is it a different shape in person?
In defense of SolarGarlic, I 'liked' the original post as it is a rather ostentatious structure. Finding myself saying that is rather eye popping as while an ISU Architect student I had the reputation of 'blowing' peoples minds with large geometrically simplified designs; much like the SPC. In my 40 years since, I've toned down my view of 'quality' architecture and look more for structures which complement their surroundings. The SPC can fall into line with a mirrored sister structure down the road creating an enclosed plaza. But, until then, by its own, it has room for criticism.