Athlon Iowa State preview

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I think a lot of people are underestimating just how good Brock will be. I think he will be a nice compliment to Hall.

I don't think anyone is underestimating him. There just hasn't been a large sample size on him yet. The news about his potential and progress is fantastic, though.

We've been spoiled with some really good RBs lately. I love it.

Reactions: cyclones500

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I guess this means "we have arrived" as a program. When sports writers actually put in some effort to learn something rather than make a few minor changes to whatever they wrote last year. In the past, typically this type of article would contain at least one reference to a player who is no longer with the program.

Last edited:

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I can't disagree with anything that they wrote - they've done their homework. It seems a bit disproportionate to have the Jirehl Brock story line as the #2. Assuming Breece stays healthy, there's only so much that the back-up RB is going to contribute. That said, I hope he does grow and improve and maybe becomes Breece's successor. But I may have chosen the kicking game as a more important story line. I'm more concerned with kicking and the defensive backfield than the back-up RB situation but overall, I like their takes.
My main complaint is that I think he pulled Kym-Mani King out of his yin ya—er, off an old depth chart, because while the coaches like Kym-Mani, no way he’s contending to start at FS with Amos.

That would be D.J Miller. Or a youngster like McDonald. Or Eisworth sliding over to accommodate one of those younger guys—Verdon is a dark horse. Maybe Freyler, once he gets here.

Amos also isn’t on campus this Spring, as the writer implies.

Other than that (and Jirehl being disproportionately high), I’d agree. This is one of the best breakdowns of it’s type I’ve seen.

Comes with being a predicted Top Ten program.

Last edited:

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
This may be wishful thinking on my part. Just think of this scenario...if Jirehl has good season backing up Breece and then has a monster year after Breece goes pro. We could have 3 RB's in the NFL at the same time. That would be huge for recruiting. Again, I'm probably getting ahead of myself.
Once Breece is drafted CMC will have 3 of his RBs in the NFL and that's a strong selling point in and of itself. if Jirehl makes it 4 it will be impossible for RB recruits not to notice.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
That’s about the most accurate preview I’ve ever seen. They did their homework.

They pack a lot of substantive content into a short article. Not just the easy stuff like "Breece Hall is going to be good" and "Mike Rose is a good tackler."

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I don’t think you knock the downfield passing game. Butler was just a balloon for that stat area. Grinding away keeps our defense fresh and obviously Breece has flipped the game plan on its head. If we can control the ball and take less risk yet still score at a decent pace there’s no point in going deep.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Personally I think it's the deepest most athletic O-line ISU has ever had. I think one Oregon's players said that are O-line was just relentless and kept coming.

I'd love to see us start the year running for about 250 vs UNI and a handful of backs getting carries.

That would be a drastic change from a normal year where we rush for 60 yards against them. We seriously suck running the ball against them. Can't tell you why.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I don’t think you knock the downfield passing game. Butler was just a balloon for that stat area. Grinding away keeps our defense fresh and obviously Breece has flipped the game plan on its head. If we can control the ball and take less risk yet still score at a decent pace there’s no point in going deep.

Seems like our emphasis on using Tight Ends might affect our average per pass yardage.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I’d disagree with that. I feel like adding an outside threat to stretch the field occasionally would open up things for Breece—and everyone else—even more.

There were times that teams just loaded the box against him. And it worked.

Sometimes it only worked for “most” of the game—but that’s still too much.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I think a lot of people are underestimating just how good Brock will be. I think he will be a nice compliment to Hall.

I hope he can take the next couple steps over the off season. He does run hard, but it seems like he just plows into whatever hole is called for the play, whereas Hall can identify when the play is stuffed and bounced to the outside. Great blocker, good at catching the ball, so lots to like about him. He just needs to figure a couple things out to be a little effective.

Reactions: A_storm_is_comin

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I hope he can take the next couple steps over the off season. He does run hard, but it seems like he just plows into whatever hole is called for the play, whereas Hall can identify when the play is stuffed and bounced to the outside. Great blocker, good at catching the ball, so lots to like about him. He just needs to figure a couple things out to be a little effective.
Kene finally managed that step. I think Jirehl will be fine.

Reactions: CyCloned