Athlon Iowa State preview

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Damn good analysis. What do you guys think?
I can't disagree with anything that they wrote - they've done their homework. It seems a bit disproportionate to have the Jirehl Brock story line as the #2. Assuming Breece stays healthy, there's only so much that the back-up RB is going to contribute. That said, I hope he does grow and improve and maybe becomes Breece's successor. But I may have chosen the kicking game as a more important story line. I'm more concerned with kicking and the defensive backfield than the back-up RB situation but overall, I like their takes.

A_storm_is_comin

Jan 9, 2021
I can't disagree with anything that they wrote - they've done their homework. It seems a bit disproportionate to have the Jirehl Brock story line as the #2. Assuming Breece stays healthy, there's only so much that the back-up RB is going to contribute. That said, I hope he does grow and improve and maybe becomes Breece's successor. But I may have chosen the kicking game as a more important story line. I'm more concerned with kicking and the defensive backfield than the back-up RB situation but overall, I like their takes.
Agreed. Brock played alot late in the season. I'm extremely confident he's going to be effective.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Good overview.

What we've all been saying, re: special teams: "A big part of the problem on kickoffs was the Cyclones allowed more returns than any other Big 12 team, thanks to their 13.3 percent touchback rate ... Finding someone (who) can kick it higher and farther would be a big help."

Reactions: A_storm_is_comin

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
A big question with Jirehl Brock is if he can be able to read and set up the blocks. Breece was superb at doing that but Jirehl came from a different high school offense. He was really good at pass blocking and catching the ball out of the backfield late in the year, but we didn't see him carry the ball very much at all.

A_storm_is_comin

Jan 9, 2021
A big question with Jirehl Brock is if he can be able to read and set up the blocks. Breece was superb at doing that but Jirehl came from a different high school offense. He was really good at pass blocking and catching the ball out of the backfield late in the year, but we didn't see him carry the ball very much at all.
Good point. I'm hoping practicing with Breece everyday will really help with his patience and vision. The few times he did run the ball he pretty much just ran straight ahead. That's just from my memory. I could be wrong about that.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
It will be interesting to see how the kicking game goes this year. CMC has certainly gone after some new blood for the kicking room, and some of them look intriguing, but it is hard to tell until they actually kick off.

A_storm_is_comin

Jan 9, 2021
I wouldn't be surprised to see Eli Sanders get some reps out of the backfield. Kene was a nice compliment to Breece due to his speed, and Sanders looks to have some jets.
Absolutely. I wish he was a early enrollee just to get some more reps. I firmly believe we will see him burn his redshirt bc he plays in over 4 games.

A_storm_is_comin

Jan 9, 2021
I think a lot of people are underestimating just how good Brock will be. I think he will be a nice compliment to Hall.
We know he runs HARD! He's a great at blocking and can catch out of the backfield. I can't remember what coach said it but he went on to say Brock has the best hands out of all the RB's in CMC era.

A_storm_is_comin

Jan 9, 2021
Real excited to see Jirehl this fall
This may be wishful thinking on my part. Just think of this scenario...if Jirehl has good season backing up Breece and then has a monster year after Breece goes pro. We could have 3 RB's in the NFL at the same time. That would be huge for recruiting. Again, I'm probably getting ahead of myself.