• Yes

Votes: 118 91.5%
  • No

Votes: 11 8.5%

• Total voters

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
After Mahomes' injury vs the Browns, do you think he will play Sunday vs the Bills? I am a Chiefs fan and I would rather him sit out if there is any serious things going on for his benefit and the long-term benefit of the team. I thought it was a concussion at first, and that's what the report initially was, but now I am hearing it is a neck thing. It looked like when he hit the ground his head hit his hand rather than the turf which I would think would soften the blow quite a bit. The hit from the player was more in the shoulder. It really didn't look that violent, but every hit is different.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I think they'll figure out the nerve in his neck and after some rest he'll be fine to play next week.

Reactions: aauummm

nrg4isu

Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
When I saw it happen, I thought it looked like a neck deal from the beginning. It looked to me like the part of the hit that was most violent wasn't the impact but the pulling of the helmet (and therefore neck). I was telling my wife that he looked like he might have been internally decapitated (exaggerating of course).

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

The old Vulcan nerve grip I see.

tumblr_ot09yayrHz1ve0mxgo9_250.gifv

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Regardless of what he should do, he'll play. This is probably a situation where the league should have a way to intervene but we all know the league is the biggest loser if he doesn't play.
The league should not have a way to intervene. Of course they want the face of the league playing.

Mahomes' clearance can/should be handled by independent doctors. I know when they send him to the locker room he's looking at by an "independent neurologist." Not sure if the concussion protocol is still independent or handled by KC's staff.

He is checking all the boxes and they're already painting a picture like he'll play. It was a neck injury and a choke out, per multiple reports specifically Jay Glazer late last night. It's not like he got absolutely wrecked helmet to helmet by Myles Garrett or something.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
The ole, "pay no attention to that concussion, it was a neck nerve..."

I've got a feeling we're be hearing a lot about concus...errrrrrrrr...neck nerves going forward.

The neck nerve thing is real. I wake up way more than I'd like to with a headache from the nerve in the back of my neck. Sleep wrong and it tweaks it, after a while of being up and about it works itself back out and the headache goes away. When I have this headache you can feel the nerve bulging on the back of my neck and when it goes away you can't feel it.

Not sure if it is similar situations but the headache is a *****.

20eyes

May 15, 2020
The neck nerve thing is real. I wake up way more than I'd like to with a headache from the nerve in the back of my neck. Sleep wrong and it tweaks it, after a while of being up and about it works itself back out and the headache goes away. When I have this headache you can feel the nerve bulging on the back of my neck and when it goes away you can't feel it.

Not sure if it is similar situations but the headache is a *****.
Oh, I 100% get that but I've been concussed, I've seen dudes who were concussed, I'm sure you've been concussed...Pat damn sure had that "I have no f*cking clue where I'm at" concussed look after he wobbled to his feet.

My point is if the NFL can skirt the concussion protocols by blaming it on a nerve in the neck rather than a brain injury they'll do it.

Reactions: heitclone

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
The league should not have a way to intervene. Of course they want the face of the league playing.

Mahomes' clearance can/should be handled by independent doctors. I know when they send him to the locker room he's looking at by an "independent neurologist." Not sure if the concussion protocol is still independent or handled by KC's staff.

He is checking all the boxes and they're already painting a picture like he'll play. It was a neck injury and a choke out, per multiple reports specifically Jay Glazer late last night. It's not like he got absolutely wrecked helmet to helmet by Myles Garrett or something.

They are the ones who will be head responsible in 10 years if he has long term side effects of this, they should have the final say in him playing or not.

The science shows a direct correlation between these neck injuries and brain injuries, it's almost impossible to have one without some symptoms of concussion. The league has fooled fans with their feel good targeting rules but in reality, these big hits that get called for these penalties are rare and not nearly as serious long term because they get the attention they require. The scariest injuries are the ones that the league doesn't talk about. The coup/counter coup injuries sustained by lineman smashing in to one another dozens of times a game are a much bigger issue but much harder to point a finger directly at what caused them so they deflect and have convinced fans that the highlight big hits are only ones you need to worry about. It's all a show while they sweep the damning evidence under the rug.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
They are the ones who will be head responsible in 10 years if he has long term side effects of this, they should have the final say in him playing or not.

The science shows a direct correlation between these neck injuries and brain injuries, it's almost impossible to have one without some symptoms of concussion. The league has fooled fans with their feel good targeting rules but in reality, these big hits that get called for these penalties are rare and not nearly as serious long term because they get the attention they require. The scariest injuries are the ones that the league doesn't talk about. The coup/counter coup injuries sustained by lineman smashing in to one another dozens of times a game are a much bigger issue but much harder to point a finger directly at what caused them so they deflect and have convinced fans that the highlight big hits are only ones you need to worry about. It's all a show while they sweep the damning evidence under the rug.
If that is the case, the NFL shouldn't exist.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

I disagree. These are grown men and should be allowed to make their own decisions.

It's football, you hit, if you don't want to hit or get hit then go be a professional bowler.

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
I disagree. These are grown men and should be allowed to make their own decisions.

It's football, you hit, if you don't want to hit or get hit then go be a professional bowler.

Agree, but unfortunately we have a few ex-players and their attorneys who change their minds after their careers are over.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

If you want to get hit, make sure you don't blame/sue the NFL in 20 years when you literally loose your mind.