Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Thanks to @madguy30 for this third one, too! Here's how he describes it:

What are movies that even though are dated, still hold up, or have even gotten better?

I don't care what people say, I think Saturday Night Fever has several strong performances. There is a terrible R scene that happens with one of the main characters just sort of standing idly by - and while it's not a good scene at all, it doesn't paint him to be heroic, and I think that is an important commentary. There are themes of helplessness, camaraderie, and more.

One that exists out of time (because it was already about the past when it was made) is A League of Their Own - I watched this with my 5th grade daughter earlier this fall, and it still is just fantastic. She loved it, too, and dressed up as Dottie Hinson for Halloween.

What are yours? I won't steal @madguy30 's!

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Thanks for the shout out(s)!

For me it's Karate Kid. Growing up I just thought it was fun with the karate parts, but now you really see the how relationships work, and the impact of actual mindfulness in how Daniel learned. And really, you can see the struggle that some of the Cobra Kai guys endure under their sensei, but watching Cobra Kay obviously opens that up more so.

Reactions: Angie

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
"Urban Cowboy"

Every time, all the time. Bud and Sissy. "She gave me the fanger, I gave her the fanger... I guess it's over, I don't know."

Reactions: urb1 and Angie

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Animal house.

I actually think that is a comedy that is showing its age. The way the frat boys — including the Deltas — treat women in that movie isn’t as funny as it used to be to me. The movie kind of lacks a hero. Fat, drunk, and stupid *is* no way to go through life, and even if the preppy frat guys are ********, it is not like the Deltas present a more viable or moral alternative. They’re all ********.

You're the sweetest! I think I'm mostly now middle-aged and grumpy! :D <3

Mmm. Tell me more.

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: Angie and MJ29

RyCy04

Sep 26, 2007
Omaha, NE
I'm a big Buster Keaton fan and I think most of his movies are still great. The General (minus the wrong side of the Civil War), Steamboat Bill Jr, and One Week in particular.

• Informative
Reactions: Angie and VeloClone

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
Office Space - the corporate soul crushing culture never dies, and the laughs still hold up

Idiocracy - not for the terrible special effects, but its basically a prophecy now. I feel we were 4 years away from irrigating farmland with energy drinks.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
As a baseball fan, I will submit Major League holds up pretty well. Although the “love” story seems really forced upon a recent rewatch.

Also, Tommy Boy. I feel that thing holds up so well that I just don’t know anyone could ever not think it’s funny.

Help Support Us

Become a patron