What's streaming that's good TV/movies

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
We just started The Hunters on Prime. Al Pacino as a 1970s jew who has organized a nazi hunting ring in NY to hunt down WW2 nazis in the states.

And on Hulu we're watching Solar Opposites - a foul-ish animated thing that is along the lines of Rick and Morty but with way more cussing.

Also Hanna - the series and not the movie. First season follows the movie really well than it branches off...

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Working our way through Baskets on Hulu right now. It's not bad. Louie Anderson as Zach Galifinaikis' mom is outstanding.

Last night we watched Palm Springs. It was just ok. I wanted to like it a lot more than I actually did.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The Old Guard with Charlize Theron is streaming on Netflix now. Not a bad action movie. It's no Atomic Blonde but entertaining even if there seemed to be a few "haven't I seen this before" moments but you can probably say that about most movies in this genre.

And, Charlize Theron so worth a look. ;)

So, what up, you all like or diss The Old Guard? It's totally set up for Old Guard II

Reactions: DSMCy

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Watched 1st episode of Cursed on Netflix last night Another spin on Author and Merlin focused on witchy girl. It kinda sucked. Young adultish bad take even looking to be worse than the Divergent movies series. Not thinking I'll watch more unless I get REALLY bored.

Watched 1st episode of Warrior Nuns on Netflix tonight. Much much much better than Cursed. Pouring a glass o'wine and starting episode 2. Think Hanna meets Constantine meets i Zombie.

Reactions: cstrunk

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Watched 1st episode of Cursed on Netflix last night Another spin on Author and Merlin focused on witchy girl. It kinda sucked. Young adultish bad take even looking to be worse than the Divergent movies series. Not thinking I'll watch more unless I get REALLY bored.

Watched 1st episode of Warrior Nuns on Netflix tonight. Much much much better than Cursed. Pouring a glass o'wine and starting episode 2. Think Hanna meets Constantine meets i Zombie.

Had to look up actress playing the lead. It's Alba Baptista's first English speaking role, she's Portuguese. Her English is so "American" that she is cast as an American from an orphanage even thought the series is set in Spain. I had no idea she was European.

Similar take on Esme Creed-Miles who has the lead in Amazon's Hanna. European setting and her German/East Euro accent made me think she was Dutch or German. Nope, English. Accented English was all acting.

Foreign actors kick American actors ass when it comes to playing international roles. It's no contest.

arobb

Jan 4, 2014
Just watched "The Outpost". It's based on the true story of the battle of Kamdesh in Afghanistan. Highly recommend.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
There's a new 3 episode miniseries on Netflix called "Fear City - New York vs. the Mafia"
Checking it out tonight.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
The Old Guard with Charlize Theron is streaming on Netflix now. Not a bad action movie. It's no Atomic Blonde but entertaining even if there seemed to be a few "haven't I seen this before" moments but you can probably say that about most movies in this genre.

And, Charlize Theron so worth a look. ;)
We watched that last week. It was entertaining. Certainly not very deep, but entertaining.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Dave on Hulu is funny - and short. Awkward white rapper who hits it medium-sized. Based on a true story. Funny, great character chemistry, and endearing...

Just finished Hunters on Prime with Pacino leading a pack of Nazi hunters in NYC in the 70. REALLY recommend it...

• Agree
Reactions: Cycho1

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006

I liked both. Warrior Nun more so, but I didn’t mind Cursed.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Trying some different stuff recently. In part because switched from Netflix to Prime.

Jack Ryan, Deadwood & Bosch are all great action shows. Also like British police shows and Unforgotten, DCI Banks and Fallen all great.

Branched out a bit and Upload is very good. Great concept, well written and funny. Just started watching Mrs.Maisel and very funny.

A couple shows I liked but they were a little uneven were Hannah and Homecoming. I liked Hannah season 2 once they diverted from the movie storyline.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I liked both. Warrior Nun more so, but I didn’t mind Cursed.

I gave it a 2nd chance after opting out after episode 1. It gets better. Now thinking it's not bad at all.

Also drinking more wine with it which helps some. Cos-playing Merlin. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: bos

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
I gave it a 2nd chance after opting out after episode 1. It gets better. Now thinking it's not bad at all.

Also drinking more wine with it which helps some. Cos-playing Merlin. ;)

It continues to get better story wise, the acting definitely isn't the best though. I also like The Witcher series and am waiting for another season of both now.