Jamie Pollard letter on falls sports

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
The federal government, they of virtually unlimited resources, has lost all control of the virus. I don’t have high expectations for universities with widely varying circumstances to be able to get control. Unless they develop bubbles like NBA, MLS and soon NHL, I don’t see how can do what you are saying.

And people have only been going out for essential activities? I'd say about 50% of blame should be on people. We aren't arresting people for not wearing masks, etc. That will just never happen. Do you hammer on any friends or family who refuse to wear masks?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
They're all in the same boat with Jamie. I wouldn't be surprised to see only conference play though.

Which makes zero sense to me unless it's simply because those buy teams aren't playing.

I just don't see what good cancelling sports does. No fans? Yeah, sure maybe that's the move. I just don't find it reasonable to think that if the season is cancelled, those 18-23 year olds will be better off for it. I mean, do we really think that left to their own devices they are going to be more isolated and less of a spread threat than they are operating in a bubble on the team? I think especially if you have classes, what happens in a football or volleyball game is just very minimal added risk.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
And people have only been going out for essential activities? I'd say about 50% of blame should be on people. We aren't arresting people for not wearing masks, etc. That will just never happen. Do you hammer on any friends or family who refuse to wear masks?

My friends and family don’t refuse to wear masks.

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006
The federal government, they of virtually unlimited resources, has lost all control of the virus. I don’t have high expectations for universities with widely varying circumstances to be able to get control. Unless they develop bubbles like NBA, MLS and soon NHL, I don’t see how can do what you are saying.

Very true - but the Federal Government has a much wider scope. Each P5 team only has to control the infections of a few hundred players and staffers for a period of 4-5 months. The Federal Government has 330 million people to keep track of for an indefinite period of time. It's a much harder job. In the Summer Series podcast and when you look at articles and interviews with the coaches and team, it seems they are working on creating a "self bubble" if you will - team accountability to avoid infection. It won't be perfect, obviously. But if you've got buy in from players (who are strongly motivated to do what it takes to be able to play) and help from the staff and Athletic Department, then you've got a good chance of it working.

And Pollard was right to point out that very few players have been infected since arriving on campus. So it seems that so far the measures are working. The virus is not spreading like wildfire at least at ISU. Granted, most students aren't on campus yet so it's a lot easier right now. Some schools have had issues. But political or personal views aside, football coaches aren't idiots. Just like every coach copies plays and schemes that work because they want to win, they will find out which teams are successful in keeping the virus in check and copy those strategies. Not because they share views on the virus and what society at large should do, but because they want to play the game. And the successful teams are better off by sharing because they need to have opponents, so they won't keep their health practices a secret.

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
I think this indicates that the Big12 plans to play. JP wouldn't bother with this if he believed the Big12 was going to cancel the conference decision.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Having the not-for-profit label hurts departments in that they cannot stock away money for a rainy day/pandemic. What they receive, they have to spend. Period

Cannot wait to watch Cyclones games from my couch this fall. (newborn soon or I'd be going)

Reactions: isutrevman

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Another good example of JP being reasonable and very straight forward. I'm kinda surprised he detailed the expenses/income as much as he did.

Keep in mind that this year may very well define athletics for a Long time to come. These teams that end up taking a big loss this year will be set back and may not be able to recover. Hopefully we can have a good year this year and set up well for the years to come.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Asked in the other thread--what's the estimate of ISU fans/alumni across the country that could afford to donate between $50-100?

This is assuming these same people, even if not attending games, can afford to go to bars etc. where they'd spend that kind of money on a pretty regular basis.

I've thought the same thing....assuming there is closing and "when the dust settles" there is a 40-60 million deficit...you'd think our fans would readily come to the support of the department to keep it alive....sure, not as "sexy" as having a donor build a building, but you could build tiers of support (similar to how they already do)...but heck, you could do tons of levels of support, etc. TRULY everyone would know they saved the future of the programs.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Having the not-for-profit label hurts departments in that they cannot stock away money for a rainy day/pandemic. What they receive, they have to spend. Period

Cannot wait to watch Cyclones games from my couch this fall. (newborn soon or I'd be going)

What are you talking about? Not for profits can set aside money!!!!!! I've audited 100's of not for profits and all of then have different funds set aside for the future.

mitchforcy

Dec 1, 2009

I could be wrong but I don't think this is entirely accurate as the reporting no income thing is more of an accounting thing than a school having to spend every single dime they bring in. Schools still have avenues to put money away but it's just not reported on a balance sheet as net profit.

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
Has anyone heard what the expected enrollment is for this fall with all the virus discussion?

The academic side of things could be a lot worse than the projections JP mentions if the student numbers drop by 10-15%.

I hope the team really gets along well, it sounds like they are going to be spending a lot more time than normal together!

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Very true - but the Federal Government has a much wider scope. Each P5 team only has to control the infections of a few hundred players and staffers for a period of 4-5 months. The Federal Government has 330 million people to keep track of for an indefinite period of time. It's a much harder job. In the Summer Series podcast and when you look at articles and interviews with the coaches and team, it seems they are working on creating a "self bubble" if you will - team accountability to avoid infection. It won't be perfect, obviously. But if you've got buy in from players (who are strongly motivated to do what it takes to be able to play) and help from the staff and Athletic Department, then you've got a good chance of it working.

I would prefer the federal government to NOT keep track of me.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Which makes zero sense to me unless it's simply because those buy teams aren't playing.

I just don't see what good cancelling sports does. No fans? Yeah, sure maybe that's the move. I just don't find it reasonable to think that if the season is cancelled, those 18-23 year olds will be better off for it. I mean, do we really think that left to their own devices they are going to be more isolated and less of a spread threat than they are operating in a bubble on the team? I think especially if you have classes, what happens in a football or volleyball game is just very minimal added risk.

Oh, I agree. I just think there will be a lot of pressure to adjust somehow, and that might be the compromise.