Let's get it going with B12 football ranking ...

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
And if we’re only a measly 4-1 the Big 12 seasons over for us.

Then you've beaten no one coming into the big oSu, OU, K-State stretch. Not good for confidence v. coming off a beat down of the dreaded hoax rival in their nest.

Iowa is ISU's measuring stick for outsiders like me and for you guys too if you'd admit it to yourselves instead of parrying every attempt at rationality.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Usually in a FBS/upstart FCS game the FCS team jumps out and then as things settle down it's FBS by a 30ish to 10ish score.

That was the opposite, and that was really, really bad.
Honestly I’ve never seen an FBS P5 team be so clearly overmatched against an FCS team like we were that day.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
OU
ISU
OSU
KSU
Horns Down
Bay Bay
TCU
WVU
Taco Tech
KU

Drink all that Kool-aid

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
K-State has played Iowa once since Bill Snyder came to Manhattan.
Yes but they've played 6 times total dating back to 1951 and I thought as long as we're making dumb comments I'd just throw that in there.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Then you've beaten no one coming into the big oSu, OU, K-State stretch. Not good for confidence v. coming off a beat down of the dreaded hoax rival in their nest.

Iowa is ISU's measuring stick for outsiders like me and for you guys too if you'd admit it to yourselves instead of parrying every attempt at rationality.
In 2018, Iowa State was 1-3 going into October and only beat Akron 26-13. They then won 7 out of their next 8. How did they finish 3rd in the Big 12 with so little confidence going into October?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

It's a rivalry. It doesn't define the season. If it did, the 2017 Cyclone team wouldn't have dreamed they had a chance against #3 and #4 ranked teams.

https://cyclones.com/sports/football/schedule/2017

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

This is Hok-level stuff here.

You want to romanticize 3 loss Rose Bowl teams too?

Please cite one example of how the Iowa game influenced the entirety of a season for ISU.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
My summary to the last few comments is simply that if you're satisfied with third or fourth, 8 wins, another bowl season, then you're right, beating Iowa doesn't matter. I'm setting the sights higher for this ISU club.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
This is Hok-level stuff here.

You want to romanticize 3 loss Rose Bowl teams too?

Please cite one example of how the Iowa game influenced the entirety of a season for ISU.
Hey, I mean, there is that one time Iowa State beat arguably the best Iowa team ever in Kinnick. That got us a UConn loss in November at home and losing to the 2 best teams in the Big 12 by a combined score of 107-10. Thankfully we beat Iowa that year though or it would have been worse.

Last edited:
Reactions: Acylum

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
My summary to the last few comments is simply that if you're satisfied with third or fourth, 8 wins, another bowl season, then you're right, beating Iowa doesn't matter. I'm setting the sights higher for this ISU club.
1.) Beating Iowa would not move us forward or backward in Big 12 play
2.) Sure it'd get get us another victory, but so would beating BU, OU, OSU, TCU, KSU
3.) Another bowl season sounds gravy. Maybe K-State should've focused more on their non-con game against MSU two years ago. Had you won you wouldn't have had to put all the eggs in the basket to against us in the last game of the year. Could've gone from 5-7 to 6-6.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Well if you look at ISU's history, that's fine by most of us and a higher conference finish still means beating Iowa doesn't matter in an emotional (rivalry) and factual sense.

IlliniCy

May 21, 2008
1.) Beating Iowa would not move us forward or backward in Big 12 play
2.) Sure it'd get get us another victory, but so would beating BU, OU, OSU, TCU, KSU
3.) Another bowl season sounds gravy. Maybe K-State should've focused more on their non-con game against MSU two years ago. Had you won you wouldn't have had to put all the eggs in the basket to against us in the last game of the year. Could've gone from 5-7 to 6-6.
1) True, but I'm tired of losing to those rapey, racist, rhabdo pricks.

2) Yep, 1-4 there like last season, and well, see below.

3) Speaking of 6-6, that's my over/under this season. Until we prove to have a legit O-line, I'm bearish on this season. Now, if we DO have a legit O-line, Kool-Aid quaffing shall commence.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa

3) Speaking of 6-6, that's my over/under this season. Until we prove to have a legit O-line, I'm bearish on this season. Now, if we DO have a legit O-line, Kool-Aid quaffing shall commence.
We haven’t had a legit OL under Campbell and all but his first season were better than 6-6. If we have a legit OL though then we can start maybe seeing 10 wins.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

I think every single person agrees that we WANT to beat Iowa and are tired of losing, but it absolutely does not impact the rest of the year. And while I respect the 6-6 and think it's fair, Vegas is going to set our over under at 7.5 most likely, and that's where I'd set it too. Our O-line could be the difference between us winning a game or two, but I think for us to only win 6, we'd have to underachieve in a lot of areas, particularly on defense. Purdy's played with a bad o-line, as long as he stays healthy I'm not too worried.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
We know. Playing the TOE would have not fit Gramps approach of cupcake scheduling.
Teams "Gramps" schedule and played:
USC twice, K-State two wins
Cal with Rogers at QB, K-State wins
Iowa, K-State wins
UCLA twice, split
Auburn, loss
Minnesota, K-State wins
Stanford, loss
Vandy, loss
Miami, K-State two wins
Mississippi State, split

Help Support Us