Kirk Ferentz getting sued for being racist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty

Not surprising by any means, but this still isn't a good look. U of I also keeps switching up their terminology of "investigation". First it was an independent investigation, then it was a review, now today it's an examination. I also love how they mentioned Kirk stating "change takes time". This ordeal is far from over and today's new allegation won't be the last.

You know what kind of change doesn't take a lot of time? Cleaning house.

Reactions: Triggermv

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
You know what kind of change doesn't take a lot of time? Cleaning house.
As far as implementing a new culture goes, 100%. The whole legality behind cleaning house though is pretty difficult. I don't know if that will end up happening but Iowa is in a huge load of trouble in regards to how much money they're going to have to pay out at the end of this whether that be to former players or to the coaches that do end up being let go.

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
As far as implementing a new culture goes, 100%. The whole legality behind cleaning house though is pretty difficult. I don't know if that will end up happening but Iowa is in a huge load of trouble in regards to how much money they're going to have to pay out at the end of this whether that be to former players or to the coaches that do end up being let go.

Not sure how they can pay the former players and not fire the coaches, to me that is admitting guilt.

TRYHARDER

Aug 23, 2019
Not sure how they can pay the former players and not fire the coaches, to me that is admitting guilt.
Change needs to happen, no argument from me on that at all. But once this becomes about money and players getting paid, a can of worms could be opened up across the country. I hope it all stays on the path of being about the change.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Well, it's a settlement. It doesn't admit guilt in the court of law, however that's how it goes sometimes. Iowa is going to look guilty at the end of all of this, regardless of whether anyone ends up being let go. Doyle technically wasn't "found guilty" fwiw.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Change needs to happen, no argument from me on that at all. But once this becomes about money and players getting paid, a can of worms could be opened up across the country. I hope it all stays on the path of being about the change.

What change do you think needs to happen?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
You see that happening though in so many instances though. Iowa paid out like $15,000 to one or some of the players who were hospitalized due to rhabdo. These players could sue for psychological damages, which many have explained they got from being a part of the program.

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
Well, it's a settlement. It doesn't admit guilt in the court of law, however that's how it goes sometimes. Iowa is going to look guilty at the end of all of this, regardless of whether anyone ends up being let go. Doyle technically wasn't "found guilty" fwiw.
Yet

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around

Not surprising by any means, but this still isn't a good look. U of I also keeps switching up their terminology of "investigation". First it was an independent investigation, then it was a review, now today it's an examination. I also love how they mentioned Kirk stating "change takes time". This ordeal is far from over and today's new allegation won't be the last.

Yep, their terminology switches are very interesting. Glad that you brought that up. As you say, it's now been watered down to an "examination" by the law firm. Pretty soon they'll be calling it a "passing glance" at the FB program.

We all pretty much predicted that the so-called "independent investigation" would be nothing more than a pat on the back for the U of I football program and business as usual. It may be time for the BOR, the state AG (at least Tom Miller isn't a hok grad), the Iowa Civil Rights Commission, etc. to step in.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
That dude will keep pushing, especially if he believes it's bad enough.
It sure seems like he is slow-playing this, revealing something new every time things start to get quiet to keep the heat on. Not that there should need to be a lot more, but I suspect he's got more in the hopper depending on what comes from the review and what UI does with that information.

Ultimately I don't think you can say KF is racist. He went the extra mile for Satterfield and Everson when they were in a jam.

TRYHARDER

Aug 23, 2019
What change do you think needs to happen?

I think the way football and other sports needs to change in a lot of places and a lot of levels. You can't coach like Vince Lombardi or Bobby Knight anymore. Coaches can be tough but still be positive and fair. A lot of us had coaches somewhere in our past that said and did things that would never be tolerated today. I would guess most of them have either changed the way they do things or are no longer coaching.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
It sure seems like he is slow-playing this, revealing something new every time things start to get quiet to keep the heat on. Not that there should need to be a lot more, but I suspect he's got more in the hopper depending on what comes from the review and what UI does with that information.

Ultimately I don't think you can say KF is racist. He went the extra mile for Satterfield and Everson when they were in a jam.
LOL I'm not quite sure if you were being serious here or not, but point out Kirk helped brush a rape case under the rug that involved his players doesn't quite prove Kirk to be an ethical person.

Also, I'm not here to yell out that Kirk's a racist. People can have their own individual opinions on the guy. The allegations presented have so far shown though, that Kirk discriminated against African American players as well as allowed racially insensitive language to be used. Actually today's allegation that came out specifically stated Doyle used the N word, so that's actual racist language not just racially insensitive.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

!00%. I will all but guarantee they have more in the vault and Iowa is scrambling to circle the wagons. This whole "process review" is going to backfire big time because when they come out and say "nothing to see here" **** will really hit the fan. Barta allowed Kirk to play dumb and now they are painted into a corner and I find it fu***** hilarious. I disagree though, I do think Kirk is a racist and thinks less of black people.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I'm sure he's compensated in some way, so he'll do what he can.
This guy certainly shows that he cares about these players and these specific issues within society as a whole as well as those within the sports world. It's also his job to do this, so no doubt he cares about getting paid. In this specific situation, it could be a gold mine for him.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
well if you think that there aren't any other places out there where players have experienced unfair treatment, I hope your right. But I doubt it.

I truly believe Iowa is the only one in America that is allowing racism in their program right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron