Tire recommendation needed

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Check the reviews on Tire Rack to choose what you want. I have bought probably 8 sets of tires from Tire Rack over the years, and only 1 was a dud (noisy - sent back full refund). They will ship them direct to whoever you want, or you can usually buy them thru the installer too.

Last time I used Tire Rack to pick the best tire, but ended up buying it thru Discount Tire for the same price, and they did all the install and provide lifetime free rotation, balance, etc.

Also on brands: I have bought lesser branded tires (General, Kumho) and put them on my cars and had great results. And had some big name brands that were straight garbage. Every brand makes some good ones and some trash. Reviews matter, brand names don't.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I used to be a huge tire nerd and enjoyed reading about and researching them on TireRack and Consumer Reports. As someone mentioned, most mainstream brands have some hits and misses. Since the government put a premium on fleet-level fuel mileage, most automakers have gone back to putting crap tires on new cars. If they can save 1/8 mpg by putting a tire with no grip on a new car, they will do it.

I also really like Cooper tires. They are not necessarily top-of-the-line, but you usually get a very good tire at a very good price. If you're a value shopper, they should be near the top of your shopping list.

My general opinions on some others:

Kelly: Used to be a good value tire, like Cooper, but strictly my opinion, they've gone downhill since merging with Goodyear.

Michelin: Premium tires. Premium prices. As with most mainstream brands, some of their OEM tires sold with new cars are crap. Most of their after-market tires are good.

BF Goodrich: Hit or miss. Generally good tires at good prices, but you have to do some research to find the good ones.

Goodyear: Mediocre tires at premium tire prices. They try to sell you on the fact that NASCAR uses them, cops use them and school buses use them. Those are marketing deals that have nothing to do with quality.

Bridgestone: Some excellent tires, some crap tires. Never found them to be a great value, however.

Yokohama: I've had some after-market Yokohama tires that were excellent. I also had some OEM tires from them that were total crap. If you find a good one, they're generally a decent value.

Kumho: I'd put them a step behind Cooper. Again, just my opinion. Usually a good tire at a good price, but some of their OEM tires are not so good.

Continental: Some hit or miss but generally premium tires at premium prices. They make the only tire that's decent on snow that would fit my wife's Mazda6 and been very happy with them, although they were expensive.

General: Some hit or miss, but generally a good value brand. They also have some premium tires at premium prices, but they also have some well-priced tires that are excellent.

Pirelli: Again, some OEM tires are crap but they have some after-market tires that are really excellent. I had Pirelli P400s on one of my cars (I don't think they make that tire anymore) and still count as among the best tires I've ever had.

As someone else mentioned, Costco is a good place to buy tires. I've also been very happy with Discount Tire. FYI...They will rotate and repair tires free, even if you didn't buy them there. All they ask in return is that you give them a look next time you're shopping for tires. Really like them.

EDIT: Firestone: Hit or miss, but I'm on my second set of Destination LE2 and love them. Excellent light truck/SUV tire.

Last edited:
Reactions: cstrunk

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I used to be a huge tire nerd and enjoyed reading about and researching them on TireRack and Consumer Reports. As someone mentioned, most mainstream brands have some hits and misses. Since the government put a premium on fleet-level fuel mileage, most automakers have gone back to putting crap tires on new cars. If they can save 1/8 mpg by putting a tire with no grip on a new car, they will do it.

I also really like Cooper tires. They are not necessarily top-of-the-line, but you usually get a very good tire at a very good price. If you're a value shopper, they should be near the top of your shopping list.

My general opinions on some others:

Kelly: Used to be a good value tire, like Cooper, but strictly my opinion, they've gone downhill since merging with Goodyear.

Michelin: Premium tires. Premium prices. As with most mainstream brands, some of their OEM tires sold with new cars are crap. Most of their after-market tires are good.

BF Goodrich: Hit or miss. Generally good tires at good prices, but you have to do some research to find the good ones.

Goodyear: Mediocre tires at premium tire prices. They try to sell you on the fact that NASCAR uses them, cops use them and school buses use them. Those are marketing deals that have nothing to do with quality.

Bridgestone: Some excellent tires, some crap tires. Never found them to be a great value, however.

Yokohama: I've had some after-market Yokohama tires that were excellent. I also had some OEM tires from them that were total crap. If you find a good one, they're generally a decent value.

Kumho: I'd put them a step behind Cooper. Again, just my opinion. Usually a good tire at a good price, but some of their OEM tires are not so good.

Continental: Some hit or miss but generally premium tires at premium prices. They make the only tire that's decent on snow that would fit my wife's Mazda6 and been very happy with them, although they were expensive.

General: Some hit or miss, but generally a good value brand. They also have some premium tires at premium prices, but they also have some well-priced tires that are excellent.

Pirelli: Again, some OEM tires are crap but they have some after-market tires that are really excellent. I had Pirelli P400s on one of my cars (I don't think they make that tire anymore) and still count as among the best tires I've ever had.

As someone else mentioned, Costco is a good place to buy tires. I've also been very happy with Discount Tire. FYI...They will rotate and repair tires free, even if you didn't buy them there. All they ask in return is that you give them a look next time you're shopping for tires. Really like them.
Thoughts on Hankook?

Reactions: cdface

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013
Thoughts on Hankook?

I have a local shop that primarily puts on Hankook tires. They are great to work with, and the Hankook tires were value priced. Quality was just ok. I liked the tires on my old SUV, but the tires for my Audi aren't that great. They started out pretty awesome, but tread life was not living up to expectations.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Big O tires are made by Cooper now and are fairly inexpensive.
Big O is a wholly-owned subsidiary of TBC. Cooper does make some of the private label tires TBC markets, but some of them are also made by Kelly. Last I knew, Kelly was still making some of Big O's tires, but that could have changed.

You can tell when, where and by whom a tire was made by searching online with the tire identification number (TIN.)

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
The Cooper AT3 line up is a good A/T truck tire for a decent price. Some models also have the 3 peak mountain symbol for winter weather. Hankook AT and AT2 are also good AT tires at a reasonable cost.

My favorite truck tire for off-road and on the farm is the Goodyear Duratrac in load range E. Expensive but a great off road tire.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
do people actually buy the road hazzard warranties? I thought they were a ripoff.
They are a complete ripoff. Found out the hard way road hazard only applies if tire is completely destroyed, which happens almost never.

Reactions: cstrunk

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
All these companies have both good and tires. I would worry less about brands and more into specific models.

11 years later and this still applies. The only thing I would add is that more and more tires seem to have less and less sidewall, which makes them more prone to flats.

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
I will second (or third) recommending Cooper, I've been happy with the two sets that I've owned.

This might de-rail the conversation but it's related...I recommend winter tires, I got a deal on some Nokian winter tires, one summer. Once winter came around and I put them on, there was no going back, I will always have winter tires.

IMO: FWD with winter tires > AWD with all season tires. AWD with winter tires would be boss!

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I will second (or third) recommending Cooper, I've been happy with the two sets that I've owned.

This might de-rail the conversation but it's related...I recommend winter tires, I got a deal on some Nokian winter tires, one summer. Once winter came around and I put them on, there was no going back, I will always have winter tires.

IMO: FWD with winter tires > AWD with all season tires. AWD with winter tires would be boss!

Got a subaru before last winter, not sure how anything can be better than that in the winter.

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
Got a subaru before last winter, not sure how anything can be better than that in the winter.
My wife has a Forester, I've had a AWD RAV4. Now I drive a Prius. I have more confidence driving the Prius in winter with the winter tires, *as long as I have ground clearance*. Dont get me wrong the Forester can be fun if I want to do some fishtails and stuff, but when its really nasty, give me some winter tires and it just feels so sure footed.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Like Karl Chevrolet has the tires for life deal. Had a new car was there for an oil change and the Michelin tires were 3/4 worn through already. Only had 15,000 miles on them. They replaced them for nothing but put Goodyear's on. I know have 37,000 miles on the car and the tires still look new.

I've had Michelin tires wear out long before Goodyear before to. Choosing the best wearing tire brand is a crap shoot. They all wear differently and when they are properly aligned, balanced and run the correct air pressure in the them, you can get over 50,000 miles. Sure a lot depends on what kind of driving you are doing also along with what kind of a load they are under.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Thoughts on Hankook?

My brother owns a tire shop. He used to be heavy on Hankook sales but has gone to Falken for light trucks if that means anything to you. I'm running the Falken MT right now. It's a good tire but it's not a Duratrac which is the only Goodyear tire I'd run.

I've had really good tire luck in my life but I tried a set of Generals once and they were garbage. Personally, I'll spend the money on Duratracs in the future. I got almost 50,000 out of both sets I've had on a diesel pickup traveling a lot of gravel. They're also awesome on hard pack and ice.

Help Support Us

Become a patron