I-Phone "secret" tracking maps...

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
“Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say.”

Edward Snowden

You don't have the right to privacy for information that you willingly hand over.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
social media sites are safe for the most part for pictures as long as you don't tag the location or refuse to show it. Twitter and Facebook (I think Instagram also) strip the Exif metadata from pictures which contain the timestamp and latitude and longitude of where the picture was taken.

Those social media sites keep that data stored however which is a security concern as they can use that for ads, etc. The common user won't be able to tell and that data can be useful for a digital forensic investigation so there are benefits of them keeping that EXIF metadata. I have a rule to not post pictures from a vacation until I'm at home in case a friend relayed where I am at the time to someone bad and they try to steal stuff.

What I'm saying is people will complain about the tracking thing, but at the same time will gladly do all of those things on FB.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
I don't care about location services. I do care about the hot mic always listening.

Wife and I joked with my parents about getting a hot tub. We have the perfect location for it out back. Not once did I Google anything about hot tubs. Just verbal jokes... Next day the first ad on my Instagram? Hot tubs.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I don't care about location services. I do care about the hot mic always listening.

Wife and I joked with my parents about getting a hot tub. We have the perfect location for it out back. Not once did I Google anything about hot tubs. Just verbal jokes... Next day the first ad on my Instagram? Hot tubs.

Yah, I've had that too. On Android there are settings that you can turn the mic off unless an approved application is running. If you Google it (I understand the irony here) there are steps on how to turn that off.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

My wife and I will play a game every now and again. Find something neither of us would ever look at or buy, search for a few minutes than take notice of every generic webpage we pull up later seeing very discrete ads for lasagne massagers, or personal bat caves. Or maybe its personal massagers and lasagne caves?

Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
My wife and I will play a game every now and again. Find something neither of us would ever look at or buy, search for a few minutes than take notice of every generic webpage we pull up later seeing very discrete ads for lasagne massagers, or personal bat caves. Or maybe its personal massagers and lasagne caves?

Whatever it takes to convince your wife you weren't looking into 'personal massagers'.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
No one cares about data privacy until the government uses it to destroy people. It's harmless until it is horrifically destructive. Black swan kind of thing.

Imagine a government rounding up an ethnic or religious minority and herding them into re-education camps (China, USSR) or ghettoes (Nazi Germany). Or confiscating guns (Cuba).

If you think it can't happen here, you are in good company with everyone else who thought that, until it did happen.

Or said country gets invaded (never happened in the past right) and they collect the data happily given up about the people of said country (never happened before right) and then have certain ones terminated based on various findings in their data (again that never happened in the past right).

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
Probably been mentioned somewhere in this thread, but without going all the way through it, some even willingly give up their DNA to ancestry websites.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
Honestly a great, great question. The push ads tell me I am my own man and apparently I want a jeep!

They have the algorithms down that if someone searches for x, y and z then these kind of people also are usually interested in V and you see ads related to V products or services.

EnkAMania

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 31, 2013
Seattle
They have the algorithms down that if someone searches for x, y and z then these kind of people also are usually interested in V and you see ads related to V products or services.
I got a Facebook friend recommendation of kirk ferentz because all my friends and family are hawk puppets.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron