Random Thoughts 14: I can see clearly now 2020 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
New pet peeve of mine thanks to a program manager. IMs that just say "You There?"

FREAK JUST TALK NORMALLY. "Hey. I have xyz question?"

If you just don't reply evidently you aren't.;) I'd wait at least 20 minutes to reply just out of principle.

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
https://variety.com/2020/film/news/...sinski-universal-1234648589/#article-comments

tenor.gif

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
New pet peeve of mine thanks to a program manager. IMs that just say "You There?"

FREAK JUST TALK NORMALLY. "Hey. I have xyz question?"
This question to me is indicative that the person asking isn't really working from home. If they were they'd assume other people were there.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
You could probably break them of the habit by replying "no".
:D

I have done that before when I am busy or in a meeting. Guess I am too nice.

If you just don't reply evidently you aren't.;) I'd wait at least 20 minutes to reply just out of principle.

I have done that before although not for 20 minutes while I calm down/get less annoyed.

Okay random thought by Wx. I want a way to pull the cool night air in via the existing air/forced air system. Our house doesn't seem to cool down as much as I would like at night especially without a breeze to blow it in.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I have done that before when I am busy or in a meeting. Guess I am too nice.

I have done that before although not for 20 minutes while I calm down/get less annoyed.

Okay random thought by Wx. I want a way to pull the cool night air in via the existing air/forced air system. Our house doesn't seem to cool down as much as I would like at night especially without a breeze to blow it in.
You would need a residential economizer fitted into your existing HVAC system. I have no idea what that would cost.

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Just have to brag a bit on the oldest, she had 4 put outs in their softball game last night. Last season she played back-up catcher (after starting varsity the previous 2 years but new HC utilized her elsewhere on the field). She was so excited to get back to catching this year and in her words “just want to throw people out”. The girls had a rough, ugly game against a non-conference team on Tuesday and really turned it around last night against a conference foe. She caught one leading off 1B (got her in a run down), one at 2B, and two at 3B. By the end of the game the opposing coach had told their girls to stop trying to steal.

This was a play at the plate in the ugly game. Someone had overthrown first, so girls were taking extra bases. The RF lobbed this one home and it took all 5’3” of stretch to catch the ball.

609BD33E-C694-430B-8E02-A68B1E490917.jpeg

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Interesting. Won't do it on this house but if we build it might be something I seriously look at adding.
I don't know much about them but it sounds like it is an outdoor vent that is them added into your existing vents with a temperature sensor that will pull the outdoor air into the house when the AC kicks on if the outside temperature is cooler.

When I grew up all we had was a huge fan in our bedroom and would crack the windows in the house. Then turn the fan to suck the air out which in turn would create a breeze of cool air through the house.

Reactions: wxman1

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I don't know much about them but it sounds like it is an outdoor vent that is them added into your existing vents with a temperature sensor that will pull the outdoor air into the house when the AC kicks on if the outside temperature is cooler.

When I grew up all we had was a huge fan in our bedroom and would crack the windows in the house. Then turn the fan to suck the air out which in turn would create a breeze of cool air through the house.
Yeah, we had a box fan that was all metal, on a metal stand. It was powerful and loud. It sat in the window of the upstairs hallway blowing out. We would all sleep with our BR doors open and the windows open. The fan would blow warm air out and cooler outside air would come in through the BR windows - in theory. My parent's room was closest to the fan and I think they got more benefit from it then the boys' room or the girls' room.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Yeah, we had a box fan that was all metal, on a metal stand. It was powerful and loud. It sat in the window of the upstairs hallway blowing out. We would all sleep with our BR doors open and the windows open. The fan would blow warm air out and cooler outside air would come in through the BR windows - in theory. My parent's room was closest to the fan and I think they got more benefit from it then the boys' room or the girls' room.
That massive fan was in the bedroom window of the boys bedroom. That sucker really did a good job if you left it on all night. The house would be nice and cool in the morning and then slowly heat up through out the day. Dad extended the garage back and made a master suite above that so they didn't get any of that cool air. They had their own small fan in one window to pull cool air in from the other window. Eventually got a small window AC. The people who recently sold it added the Mitsubishi AC units in the rooms

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
Coming home and the road is closed at the railroad crossing just down from me, lots of police. Saw a brand new Cherokee on its roof with the front end gone laying just beside the tracks. Possibly car vs train. So I took the long way around to get home and when I pulled in the driveway I looked down the road and that's when I saw the white sheet...

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Coming home and the road is closed at the railroad crossing just down from me, lots of police. Saw a brand new Cherokee on its roof with the front end gone laying just beside the tracks. Possibly car vs train. So I took the long way around to get home and when I pulled in the driveway I looked down the road and that's when I saw the white sheet...
:(

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle

That's never fun. Working on a bridge project up in the northeast and there was an incident on the bridge next to us between a motorcycle and a semi truck (motorcycle was driving incredibly recklessly) and it took two white sheets and a water truck. Not a good day.

Status
Not open for further replies.