CDC: Bagged salads linked to parasite outbreak in Midwest

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Supermarket chains including Aldi and Hy-Vee sold the recalled salad mixes that have been linked to 122 confirmed cases of Cyclospora infection.

More than 100 people in the Midwest have been sickened by a parasite infection linked to bagged salad mixes, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Tuesday.

A total of 122 people had confirmed cases of Cyclospora infections, an intestinal parasite that can cause diarrhea, according to the CDC.

Cases have been reported in seven states — Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Minnesota, Nebraska and Wisconsin — and 19 people have been hospitalized.

Bagged salads containing carrots, red cabbage and iceberg lettuce from supermarket chains ALDI, Hy-Vee and Jewel-Osco have been linked to the outbreak, though it's possible that there are other sources of infection as well, the CDC said.

Monday, ALDI recalled its Little Salad Bar brand Garden Salad. Late last week, Hy-Vee recalled its 12 oz. Hy-Vee Garden Salad and Jewel-Osco recalled its Signature Farms Garden Salad.

While cases have been reported in just seven states, the CDC is advising residents of Arkansas, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Minnesota, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota and Wisconsin to check their homes for the recalled salad blends and throw them out.

The parasite Cyclospora cayetanensis causes an intestinal infection called cyclosporiasis that can be treated with antibiotics.

The CDC noted that there are several Cyclospora outbreaks each summer.

In 2018, a Cyclospora outbreak linked to McDonald's salad sickened more than 500 people.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/heal...ads-linked-parasite-outbreak-midwest-n1231942

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
A girlfriend here in Ames got it from Hy-Vee, was just diagnosed finally yesterday. She's been battling issues for a couple of weeks. Ugh.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
The parents of one of my son's friends both have been dealing with issues related to that for a couple weeks. Thankful that I don't eat healthy food. :p

We stopped using bagged salads several years ago. Cheaper and less risky just to buy a head of romaine, chop and clean it ourselves. Plus, it lasts longer and is crisper.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
It is now my current theory that everything is trying to kill me. Thank god that McDonalds Chicken McNuggets are truly from free-range, compassionately treated, non-GMO, non-steroid chickens that are only made into McNuggets upon their natural demise.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
We're expecting our first child at the end of August, and my constant response to questions about lunch meat/sources of listeria have been "You are more likely to get a bacterial infection from raw vegetables".

Reactions: Angie

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I literally bought a HyVee brand salad kit for the first time ever last week. It's not the kind they are saying is bad, but I still don't think I'll use it.

As an aside, 20 years ago I landed in the hospital for 5 days likely due to Iowa State dining services and a parasite and was pretty sick for 2 weeks ;) There was at least one other person in the hospital at the same time.

dawgpound

Retired Billy the Barnstormer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2011
Des Moines, iowa
We stopped using bagged salads several years ago. Cheaper and less risky just to buy a head of romaine, chop and clean it ourselves. Plus, it lasts longer and is crisper.

I have also been doing this for the last few years. A head of lettuce is like .99 cents, and like you said it always lasts longer. So glad i started doing this too.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

yeah I really hate prepping salads but pre-Covid I found prepping a container Sunday night was good enough for the week. Plus, my toddler ******* loves tearing up lettuce so he's got a job now. As long as you don't mind getting some partially chewed work product in your lunch. Hazards of cheap labor.

Reactions: dawgpound

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
We're expecting our first child at the end of August, and my constant response to questions about lunch meat/sources of listeria have been "You are more likely to get a bacterial infection from raw vegetables".

100% true. Tell her to eat all the deli meat she wants.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Good thing my CSA started a few weeks ago, so no more supermarket veggies until October.

Gotta pick up ours tonight. Have to say I'm a little surprised as I hadn't pictured you as the CSA type.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
I have also been doing this for the last few years. A head of lettuce is like .99 cents, and like you said it always lasts longer. So glad i started doing this too.
Definitely agree on this. Those bagged salads last only about 1-2 days before you have to throw it out. A head of lettuce usually lasts me about a week.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
I’m anxiously awaiting the annual Romaine recall this November. Being a buyer for a food distribution company is a pain in the *** during these recalls.

Reactions: Angie

20eyes

May 15, 2020
Why anyone would purchase bagged salad or go on a cruise is beyond me...

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
One of the benefits of eating salads is losing weight. Just think how ripped we'll look after the explosive vomiting and diarrhea. :oops:

Reactions: bos

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron