Attendance policy from JP...

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
That's the thing...it is all but guaranteed that players are going to test positive in June, in July, in August, etc. unless you totally isolate them and the staffs from the rest of the student body. What happens if right before Iowa game, either Iowa or Iowa State have several starters test positive? Suspect a lot of players may see the field this season...

Yep and you may see some bad football and lots of players playing that aren't even close to ready for it.

Insert 'yeah but injuries happen all the time, next player up' response without considering that a player with an injury doesn't mean their position group may need to quarantine.

I'm curious to see how the whole thing is managed. So far I haven't seen much about the pro soccer or baseball in other parts of the world having outbreaks so hopefully enough ideas are utilized if they're going to attempt to do football.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Well.... if Brock Purdy ever tests positive during the season.... we all know the season will be over.

But that would be the same case if he got injured too.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Wear the pacifier style mouth guards. I had one for one season, couldn't breathe at all through them. When you bite down hard you pinch off the way air can flow. Would almost be like wearing a mask, except they get spit out in the huddle while people are gasping for air.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Wear the pacifier style mouth guards. I had one for one season, couldn't breathe at all through them. When you bite down hard you pinch off the way air can flow. Would almost be like wearing a mask, except they get spit out in the huddle while people are gasping for air.

Bring back the huge cages, thick jerseys and shoulder pads too to keep even more distance.

7kLjfhUyx26BlDqOUoQCKBEN3Kqa5AdPdOld7b-nzt4ZWsTBGzv-O-SAbohgP7M60DqIo6rtO448t8r2pE7gtK1RPidDxlpC5XD9vFavDfyHkdnWbTVu

Reactions: BCClone

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Season tickets bought and paid for, told the wife the other day, "starting to think, we will not be going to games this fall." Already cancelled our away cyclone football trip, but its really not looking good for the fall.
If we play, I will be there, but I am not sure at all if that is going to occur. But its 3 months away, a lot can change in three months.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Season tickets bought and paid for, told the wife the other day, "starting to think, we will not be going to games this fall." Already cancelled our away cyclone football trip, but its really not looking good for the fall.
If we play, I will be there, but I am not sure at all if that is going to occur. But its 3 months away, a lot can change in three months.

Sounds like you are taking a realistic approach to it at least, which is important.

Imo Pollard putting this out several months in advance was really important and a good move.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
That's the thing...it is all but guaranteed that players are going to test positive in June, in July, in August, etc. unless you totally isolate them and the staffs from the rest of the student body. What happens if right before Iowa game, either Iowa or Iowa State have several starters test positive? Suspect a lot of players may see the field this season...

Yeah, I think that is almost inevitable. Everyone is going to have games where they are starting 3rd stringers. The NCAA is going to have to relax the redshirt rule for this year surely. And probably increase the 85 limit for next year for guys that either couldn't or won't play.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Disagree. With all the restrictions on capacity being limited everywhere else, I think its more likely that we'll be closer to full capacity.

They won't publicly say it but a big reason the fair was canceled was because pretty much all of the grandstand acts have canceled their tours for the year. Way better financially for the fair to push those contracts into next year rather than operate a fair this year without that revenue stream.

There is roughly a zero percent chance that Jack Trice will be anywhere close to full capacity this year. Pollard was throwing the 50% number around a lot on the tailgate tour and there's a reason why. He definitely was speculating.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
There is roughly a zero percent chance that Jack Trice will be anywhere close to full capacity this year. Pollard was throwing the 50% number around a lot on the tailgate tour and there's a reason why. He definitely was speculating.
Agree but I would add JP speculation was informed. With NBA, MLB, soccer, South Korea baseball, European soccer not allowing any attendance and then locally calling off the fair I think 50% capacity is the best we can expect.

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
We need to find a way to say that we aren’t attending a game, we’re protesting the away team. Then nobody will say **** about people gathering.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
It's still June.

But it does seem possible that no fans could be possible.

Ultimately it's unlikely that anything will change in regards to why fan attendance is problematic. Putting tens of thousands close together is a big community spread risk and something as frivolous as a game is something that, to society as a whole, may not be worth that risk

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
If they won't let us in the stadium, will they let us watch from outside, on the big screens?

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
I'm sure the hoks will play all their starters, regardless of Coronavirus. Hell, rhabdo was no big deal, they will play their starters, regardless.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Ultimately it's unlikely that anything will change in regards to why fan attendance is problematic. Putting tens of thousands close together is a big community spread risk and something as frivolous as a game is something that, to society as a whole, may not be worth that risk
Yeah, especially when you have people travelling from all over to see the games.

Plus, this would be an issue anywhere in the world, but it's definitely a problem in the United States where we can't be bothered to take minimal safety precautions

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I am starting to think more and more that there will be a season, but they will not be any crowds allowed to attend the games.
The Athletic had an article last week basically stating that even without attendence by fans, the schools would still be getting the money rolling in from TV by playing the games. Since many athletic departments will need the money, the schools will try to work out a way to play the games, in front of empty stadiums.

Best solution to what is go far turning out to be a crappy year, sports wise.