KAGAVI: New Jack Trice photo discovered!

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com
Been a while since I did one of these. There was a bit of a kerfuffle with Jack Trice on Twitter earlier today, so I decided to get a new story out. Seemed like everyone could use a distraction. As always, enjoy my babies.

http://www.kagavi.com/new-jack-trice-photo-discovered/

Trice-new-east-tech-photo.jpg

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com
Thanks all for the support here and on Twitter.

I now own the item. As to where I found it, let's call it a trade secret. After many years of working on this kind of stuff, I'm hesistant to share some of my techniques lest my secret fishing hole become overrun. Maybe some day I'll share more.

Always really gratifying to share this stuff with people. I'll repeat something I said on Twitter in reponse to someone else:

Something I've mentioned before is the story is usually told to a "captive" audience in Iowa that already knows it. If ISU wore throwbacks on the road, did other things throughout America, etc. it spreads the story more, but ABSOLUTELY MUST be backed by action against inequality.

It's not enough to point to something that someone else did in the past and say, well, that's it, we have done enough. The story must be continually renewed.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Interesting that some wore leather helmets and some didn't.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
I hope the team wears some sort of commemorative uniform during the 2023 season. And certainly, with the current situation in this country, his story needs to be repeated often. It would be cool if the fans in the stadium would chant "I Will!" during big plays.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Holy cow, just read some of the twitter war against that sportsbybrooks guy. That dude should really just delete that tweet, he’s really coming off as ignorant here.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
Holy cow, just read some of the twitter war against that sportsbybrooks guy. That dude should really just delete that tweet, he’s really coming off as ignorant here.
He is being truthful in that there were not many African-American athletes at ISU until after the 1950s. He is also correct that the ISU administration and most big ISU donors did not want to name the stadium after Trice. Like most things in America, people's minds were changed and it took time.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
So awesome; thanks for all your work!

"...The photo was not labeled or dated, but there was the lanky frame of Jack on the right, opening up a hole for Johnny Behm to leap through. Johnny was the captain of East Tech and went on to become the captain of Iowa State, finishing his career as a honorable mention All-American quarterback...."

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
He is also correct that the ISU administration and most big ISU donors did not want to name the stadium after Trice. Like most things in America, people's minds were changed and it took time.

Multiple factions at work, and the waters got muddied.

There were some people who didn't want to name the stadium until it was completely paid for and deeded to the university. That transaction ended up being several years after the stadium opened.

There were some who thought that the donors, who essentially paid for the stadium, should have a say in its name.

There were others who didn't want the stadium to bear anyone's name -- Trice or otherwise.

Reactions: Go2Guy

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Well, thank God it's Jack Trice Stadium. Now if we can just get rid of "MidAmerican Field", I would be happy.

Reactions: Cytown12

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
Well, thank God it's Jack Trice Stadium. Now if we can just get rid of "MidAmerican Field", I would be happy.

Yeah, unfortunately that's not going away unless someone wants to pony up more money than MidAmerican. Just like how a lot of the new buildings on campus are named after alumni (Sukup Endzone anybody) with money or labs/rooms are named after companies with money.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
So awesome; thanks for all your work!

"...The photo was not labeled or dated, but there was the lanky frame of Jack on the right, opening up a hole for Johnny Behm to leap through. Johnny was the captain of East Tech and went on to become the captain of Iowa State, finishing his career as a honorable mention All-American quarterback...."
Thanks for that. I was having a hard time figuring out which player was Jack in the photo.

;)

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Thanks for that. I was having a hard time figuring out which player was Jack in the photo.

;)

I get it, but what I found interesting is Iowa St got quite the scoop from East Tech. Not only did we hire the East Tech coach, who brought with him Trice, but his QB teammate !

Reactions: khardbored

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Just curious about what you think, but is this really a photo? It appears to be a half-toning print (I think I can see the dot matrix) with some embellishment added where the screening failed to capture detail. Which you can see in the simplistic clouds in the sky, players' faces and odd shadowing.

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com
I get it, but what I found interesting is Iowa St got quite the scoop from East Tech. Not only did we hire the East Tech coach, who brought with him Trice, but his QB teammate !

Yes, Sam Willaman was the East Tech coach when the Cleveland team laid waste to Ohio, beating Scott High twice in 1920 and 1921. Why is that important? Because Scott High appeared in the national championship game multiple times in the years that East Tech didn't beat them.

So naturally, Sam took most of his players with him to ISU, including Johnny Behm (honorable mention AA), Norton Behm (who played pro), Champ Hardy (all state lineman), Jack Trice (you know). For good measure, he also took Spike Nave from nearby Shaw High. Essentially half of his startling line up was Cleveland boys.

Just curious about what you think, but is this really a photo? It appears to be a half-toning print (I think I can see the dot matrix) with some embellishment added where the screening failed to capture detail. Which you can see in the simplistic clouds in the sky, players' faces and odd shadowing.

Correct. As the story said:

It is not an original copy, but a printed version and white marks are visible on some of the players–which was a common practice for reprinting in newspapers.

It was not found in a newspaper, but rather an obscure publication. The white marks were a very primitive version of photoshop in those days.

On the other hand, the game photo of Jack playing for Iowa State is an original photo postcard. Many times, those photos are the only ones that exist, for they were made directly from the negative into a postcard.

Reactions: Go2Guy

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Don't take it as a jab. I appreciated the extra info the caption provided. More a (poor) attempt at humorous commentary on the lack of athletic opportunities for AA athletes at the time.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron