• Yes

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • No

Votes: 100 60.6%

• Total voters

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
"Funny" story I think you will like. An old co-worker had a neighborhood dog - something small-ish and cute - that would rile up his dog in his yard. So he took a crossbow and shot the dog. The part you will love is the dog dragged itself home and died on his owners porch. My coworker was arrested. Does that get you off?

Rule #43: Always Double Tap

CYme

Dec 6, 2011
Pella, IA
We have had cats(down to one) and dogs(down to one as well), we have never let our cats outside.

We do have a "feral" neighborhood cat who had a litter, so I trapped them all, including momma. Took the kittens to a buddies farm and had the momma spayed, released her back to the neighborhood and have no real problems.

We have two neighbors who let their cats(1 each) roam, but the one I had spayed keeps them away, this is her territory. She lives in a run down garage my neighbor has basically abandoned.

Additionally, I have never encountered a mouse on our property in almost 6 years. That said, we have a significant amount of birds in our yard, never found a dead one. Maybe my bird feeders are too high?

Now, if you want to talk about squirrels, those things are a real nuisance.

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
my dog will kill your cat so dont have it get out and wonder into my yard

cycloneted

Apr 19, 2006
Des Moines
Cats...reminds me of this great speech from the Oscars a few years back:

Raquel, so many go to bed hungry in this nation, yet cat food is full of tuna. Each time I go to the zoo and see those porpoises crammed into tiny tanks, I think, "what a waste that is." Butcher half of them now! That's a lot of dolphin meat that can be fed to our cats, freeing up that tuna for our nation's hungry. So many are cold, shivering in the night. So I say, take those cats, and skin them! Use their fur to keep hundreds warm!

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
s-l640.jpg

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Not a lot of wildlife in my neighborhood in town other than squirrels and rabbits. I don’t see those becoming endangered anytime soon. And most domesticated animals don’t have the instinct to hunt.

Thousands of years of genetics don't just disappear. Cats have caused 63 bird species to become extinct while the International Union for the Conservation of Nature lists domestic cats as one of the world’s worst non-native invasive species.

https://abcbirds.org/program/cats-indoors/cats-and-birds/

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
Outdoor cats are completely devastating to wildlife and no way they should be allowed outdoors. They are non native and kill millions of native animals each year. Our native wildlife have a hard enough time as it is with habitat loss.

Anyone in favor of cats outdoors needs to read up on the subject. There are plenty of articles online about it

I'll go ahead and take your word on it.

This board never disappoints

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
I have one neutered cat that I allow to roam free during the day. He's not allowed to go out at night because our neighborhood has hawks, coyotes, raccoons, barred owls, etc. I know he's much healthier and happier when he gets fresh air. He definitely spends time in the neighbor's yards, but doesn't wander far. He rarely catches birds, but if he does they are always sparrows. In the spring he'll usually go on a baby rabbit killing rampage- alas, we still have plenty of those rodents running around. Two weekends ago he slaughtered a family of chipmunks. That was weird. I'm happy to report my yard & garden are vole-free. He often likes to bring his victims back to the house as a gift. He also pulls all this off without front claws (which apparently you're not supposed to do anymore- he's over ten years old now). The best way to keep him out of your yard is to get a dog.