• No

Votes: 100 60.6%

• Total voters

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Come on people get a grip. Someone planted a fern somewhere in the neighborhood and now it’s taking over my back yard. Should plants be kept indoors? It’s nature. Deal with it.

Do ferns make weird noises at night and **** in your yard?

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Living in Iowa my whole life I had never even heard of BLM land until I worked at the ISU geology camp in Wyoming. The idea that there was land of so little value that no one but the government wanted to own it just didn't compute.

Yeah, you can just get a camper, park it on BLM land and live there. Just have to move every 14 days. I don’t think the government technically “owns” it. There’s some BLM land up in the Colorado river headwaters that’s really beautiful
and has good fishing.

If you have to work with the wrong BLM office on a project they can be more difficult than the National Forest people :rolleyes:.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I might risk it just to deal with this rhizome from hell.

Round up kills all so apply carefully, 24d kills broadleafs I'm pretty sure it would work on a fern. That way the grass underneath it wouldn't have to be reseeded.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
This thread has been educational for me. I don’t have a cat, but I didn’t know they were so hard on bird populations.

Reactions: Chitowncy

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
This thread has been educational for me. I don’t have a cat, but I didn’t know they were so hard on bird populations.
I'm pretty sure cats kill more living things than any other creature in America

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Round up kills all so apply carefully, 24d kills broadleafs I'm pretty sure it would work on a fern. That way the grass underneath it wouldn't have to be reseeded.

If you have an ornamental plant and a weed and spray the weed and come back the next day the weed will be laughing at you while the ornamental will be dead from drift. It's gardening 101. :rolleyes:

cyclone618

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 2, 2011
Ankeny
I have one neutered cat that I allow to roam free during the day. He's not allowed to go out at night because our neighborhood has hawks, coyotes, raccoons, barred owls, etc. I know he's much healthier and happier when he gets fresh air. He definitely spends time in the neighbor's yards, but doesn't wander far. He rarely catches birds, but if he does they are always sparrows. In the spring he'll usually go on a baby rabbit killing rampage- alas, we still have plenty of those rodents running around. Two weekends ago he slaughtered a family of chipmunks. That was weird. I'm happy to report my yard & garden are vole-free. He often likes to bring his victims back to the house as a gift. He also pulls all this off without front claws (which apparently you're not supposed to do anymore- he's over ten years old now). The best way to keep him out of your yard is to get a dog.

This sounds exactly like our cat - and I mean exactly. If we lived close to each other (we’re in Ankeny) I’d swear we were sharing the same cat.

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
Now, if you want to talk about squirrels, those things are a real nuisance.

We have an 89 year old neighbor that traps squirrels and take them to a park and lets them go. She has trapped 31 so far this year

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
We’ve recommended she tag them so that she knows if they return. The park is about a mile away so that’s a lot of telephone wires to walk

I'm actually curious to see if it's the same one. The distances animals travel to find a home or look for food or return home is pretty amazing.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
We have an 89 year old neighbor that traps squirrels and take them to a park and lets them go. She has trapped 31 so far this year

Agree on the tagging comments. She should spray a big orange spot on their backs so when she traps them again she doesn't count them again.

I've shot or trapped a couple particularity troublesome squirrels, mostly leaders of either the Northside Gang and the Soutside Gang that battle over my yard. Any mass trapping is futile though. I live next to a black hole with a direct connection to the Squirrel and Oak Tree Universe. Nothing else explains the endless supply of gray squirrels or the enormous quantity of oak leaves.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron