ISU fall schedule announced

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
man, how empty is hilton going to be for some of those Dec non con games?

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Finals until the day before Thanksgiving?
They'll need to set that up to allow those finals to be both online and available before Wednesday. No reason to do that to people when they're ready to travel home.
Finals will start on the Saturday before - Nov. 21.

Also, the academic calender page isn't changed quite yet https://www.registrar.iastate.edu/calendar/

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
man, how empty is hilton going to be for some of those Dec non con games?

I’ve been wondering about how basketball is going to be handled more than football. W/o a vaccine I’m not sure how they’ll justify indoor crowds during winter. A lot can change though

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
They'll need to set that up to allow those finals to be both online and available before Wednesday. No reason to do that to people when they're ready to travel home.

No different than people getting ready to go home after finals for winter break. Yes the holiday is closer on Thanksgiving but it prevents a mass of people leaving to everywhere and coming back for 2 weeks, and increasing exposure potential everywhere. It also allows to see if it makes a resurgence during colder weather.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
How are finals going to work? There is a road football game on the 21st. Is this a sign that there won’t be football. I highly doubt that. Normally there are no sports during finals.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Finals will start on the Saturday before - Nov. 21.

Also, the academic calender page isn't changed quite yet https://www.registrar.iastate.edu/calendar/

I got that, and I know how their calendar works.
I just know that students will be under immense family pressure to get home, and that's really tough if they have to be present for Wednesday finals. I also know that the university typically requires a class meeting during that scheduled time, although they'll never know if a class doesn't meet.

Therefore, I'm hoping that they're flexible and allow people to take these online so that a few thousand students aren't stuck with a "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles" scenario for their trip home.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I wonder if ending the semester before Thanksgiving will just become permanent. The best professors gave up on teaching and having major assignments due after Thanksgiving break, anyways. Everybody's brains go to mush during the break, nobody puts in any work over the holiday, and trying to restart for only a few weeks is pointless.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
How are finals going to work? There is a road football game on the 21st. Is this a sign that there won’t be football. I highly doubt that. Normally there are no sports during finals.

This is not a sign that there won't be sports. Just like any other exam, the departments will work with the students that are participating in the sports that have to be absent.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
I got that, and I know how their calendar works.
I just know that students will be under immense family pressure to get home, and that's really tough if they have to be present for Wednesday finals. I also know that the university typically requires a class meeting during that scheduled time, although they'll never know if a class doesn't meet.

Therefore, I'm hoping that they're flexible and allow people to take these online so that a few thousand students aren't stuck with a "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles" scenario for their trip home.

You lost me at "immense family pressure."

The world is a little crazy right now and I would hope that student's families would understand. Over half of the students are from Iowa and could be home within 3 hours at the most. Another 10% are international and they wouldn't be going home for Thanksgiving anyway. I have to assume that a large percentage of the other 30-40% are from surrounding states like Minnesota and Illinois and they are all within a days drive which would put them home late that night or on Thanksgiving.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
Not an ISU student, but when will they go back after thanksgiving? My school (smaller college) said they are planning on things being normal but I’m not sure if everyone else ends at thanksgiving that we won’t too.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

The world is a little crazy right now and I would hope that student's families would understand. Over half of the students are from Iowa and could be home within 3 hours at the most. Another 10% are international and they wouldn't be going home for Thanksgiving anyway. I have to assume that a large percentage of the other 30-40% are from surrounding states like Minnesota and Illinois and they are all within a days drive which would put them home late that night or on Thanksgiving.

Have you met humans?

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston

Yeah not sure what the rush is to get home since they wont be coming back to campus again till January.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
If kids aren't home on Thanksgiving day it is not the end of the world. It is not ideal, but neither are any of the COVID contingency plans. There is also classes on Labor Day which isn't ideal. Welcome to the real world students where things change and you have to live with it.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL

Normally classes aren't on federal holidays either, so I think a lot is out the window.

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
Finals before Thanksgiving is how it was when ISU was on the quarter system .

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
I wonder if ending the semester before Thanksgiving will just become permanent. The best professors gave up on teaching and having major assignments due after Thanksgiving break, anyways. Everybody's brains go to mush during the break, nobody puts in any work over the holiday, and trying to restart for only a few weeks is pointless.

As a professor, I would LOVE for this to happen permanently. Longer winter break and not coming back for 1-2 weeks to hammer everything out.