New Uniforms Revealed

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
There is no reason we should be wearing black or gray as a primary uniform color
Well I've got one big reason I guess; our coach loves black. The head coach should be able to decide what kind of uniforms he wants, within reason.

We might be starting to hear more disagreement to the black though. Some people might want to get rid of black altogether, I am not one of those. More likely many of us feel black has become too prevalent and is used too much in the absence of our school colors. I am in this camp. Others may rather see a shade of gray vs. black. Well then we'd have that argument all over again about how bad gray is or was.

Black is better than gray, but we are seeing too much of it now IMO. I guess my feeling about the future is to change our gold back to the way it was in the '70's (with the option of keeping our present gold also, either as primary or secondary trim), and start using it more. To me the black would then be within reason and not overdone.

Really it may be that simple. Return ISU to our former '67-'82 gold. That's kind of my platform right now. Without doing this, I'm not so sure I would like to see much of our present gold in our uniforms either. For this reason I cannot fault Campbell too much yet.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Here are my top 9 combos for Home, using color addition of '70's gold, no gold set yet. Two cardinal jerseys available, one with gold main number, one with white, both interchangeable. 1-3...
CyUni 2021 Home NoGold 1-3  1.png

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Here are my top 9 combos for Home, using color addition of '70's gold, no gold set yet. Two cardinal jerseys available, one with gold main number, one with white, both interchangeable. 4-6...
CyUni 2021 Home NoGold 4-6.png

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Here are my top 9 combos for Home, using color addition of '70's gold, no gold set yet. Two cardinal jerseys available, one with gold main number, one with white, both interchangeable. 7-9...
CyUni 2021 Home NoGold 7-9.png

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Here are my top 6 Away combos, no gold set yet. Not as many options for six games so some repeats. 1-3...
CyUni 2021 Away NoGold 1-3.png

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Here are my top 6 Away combos, no gold set yet. Not as many options for six games so some repeats. 4-6...
CyUni 2021 Away NoGold 4-6.png

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I am not a huge fan of the cursive retro Cyclones, but it would be better if they got the color right. I've spent quite a bit of time on current and past shades of gold that we've had. This particular mockup
ISU Helmet GoldCyclonesMockup.jpg
does not have our current gold I don't think, maybe it does. But the gold here is too bright and orange IMO and I do not care for it. That has been the problem w/ our gold for too long, too bright.

I would be much more comfortable w/ something like this, darkening the cardinal, darkening further the red facemask, then using our '70's gold. I think this is pretty close to that? I like it better.
ISU Helmet GoldCyclonesMockup1 d4a12a.jpg

Reactions: CYCLNST8 and Cy37

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I am not a huge fan of the cursive retro Cyclones, but it would be better if they got the color right. I've spent quite a bit of time on current and past shades of gold that we've had. This particular mockup
View attachment 72558
does not have our current gold I don't think, maybe it does. But the gold here is too bright and orange IMO and I do not care for it. That has been the problem w/ our gold for too long, too bright.

I would be much more comfortable w/ something like this, darkening the cardinal, darkening further the red facemask, then using our '70's gold. I think this is pretty close to that? I like it better.
View attachment 72559

That's MUCH improved, but the "gold" could still be tweaked a bit more towards the '82 gold.... and the cardinal too.

Also, I'd rather have the current helmet logo over the cursive Cyclones too.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
That's MUCH improved (THANKYOU!), but the "gold" could still be tweaked a bit more towards the '82 gold.... and the cardinal too.

Clonedude, I know you mean well and I appreciate your passion for ISU, I really do. I share that. But I'm not sure you realize how difficult it is to get the correct shade of any color, let alone our gold!

I've spent hours and days and many, many (more than I should have done) trial and error depictions of our present gold (pretty easy) and our '67-'82 gold (much harder). I am happy with what I finally settled on which is what I'm using in my pics now (for the '70's era gold). I'll go crazy if I try to tweak it further.

Here are the 1982 pics I used (among others), with the color patch I'm now using on the right of each pic. [The lower left pic shouldn't count as it is too dark w/ shadows]. ISU UnisGoldMod1a 1967-82 CircaDavidArcherJohnArnaud'82.jpg If anything I biased it a little on the darker side to be safe. This is the same gold patch I just used on the helmet above. I think it is a good average in 1D of the gold color we used to have. Close enough for government work, ha!

ISU knows the color patches they are currently using for cardinal and gold. They also know the color patch(s) they used from '67-'82. Let's leave it at that. If they want to, they know where to go and what to use. My photo-editing is limited and often in 1D vs. 3D. If a person wanted a more accurate depiction on a particular shade of color or uniform design, photoshop is the way to go (but getting the right color could still be a challenge). Photoshop is so much more realistic, getting the 3D, shadows, etc. I'm just here to throw out some general ideas and design. It is not meant to be perfect.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
That's MUCH improved, but the "gold" could still be tweaked a bit more towards the '82 gold.... and the cardinal too.

Oh come on!! So many great moments with the cursive CYCLONES on the helmet. Haha. I do love it though.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
ISU Helmet GoldCyclonesMockup.jpg I am a little concerned well-meaning mockup designers are reverting back to the firetruck red and shrill gold we had with Criner and Waldon, just like this? Hope they try again.

Let's at least get the red back to the darker cardinal we had or have now.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Clonedude, I know you mean well and I appreciate your passion for ISU, I really do. I share that. But I'm not sure you realize how difficult it is to get the correct shade of any color, let alone our gold!

I've spent hours and days and many, many (more than I should have done) trial and error depictions of our present gold (pretty easy) and our '67-'82 gold (much harder). I am happy with what I finally settled on which is what I'm using in my pics now (for the '70's era gold). I'll go crazy if I try to tweak it further.

Here are the 1982 pics I used (among others), with the color patch I'm now using on the right of each pic. [The lower left pic shouldn't count as it is too dark w/ shadows]. View attachment 72563 If anything I biased it a little on the darker side to be safe. This is the same gold patch I just used on the helmet above. I think it is a good average in 1D of the gold color we used to have. Close enough for government work, ha!

ISU knows the color patches they are currently using for cardinal and gold. They also know the color patch(s) they used from '67-'82. Let's leave it at that. If they want to, they know where to go and what to use. My photo-editing is limited and often in 1D vs. 3D. If a person wanted a more accurate depiction on a particular shade of color or uniform design, photoshop is the way to go (but getting the right color could still be a challenge). Photoshop is so much more realistic, getting the 3D, shadows, etc. I'm just here to throw out some general ideas and design. It is not meant to be perfect.

Hey... no problem t-noah. You do a great job, and I appreciate it!

I sure as h**l can't do as good of a job as you do or I'd try myself. I wasn't trying to be harsh..... your helmet looked way better than the Ronald McDonald one... I just thought it could be improved even a bit more possibly if you were interested in giving it a shot? If not, no biggie at all. I thought you enjoyed doing these.

Keep up the good work!

Help Support Us

Become a patron