Iowa Football Recruiting

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Look at non conference games for comparison. In the bowl games, the only Big Ten team that allowed their opponent to reach their season average scoring was Illinois that gave up 35 to Cal. That tells me that the Big Ten defenses were not inflated. Ohio State gave up 29 to Clemson who averaged 47. Wisconsin gave up 28 to Oregon who averaged 39. Michigan gave up 35 to Alabama who averaged 45. Minnesota gave up 24 to Auburn who averaged 33. Iowa gave up 24 to USC who averaged 33. Those are all games where the opponents were held at least a td under their scoring average.

The Big 12 only had 1 team score their season average in a bowl game and that was Texas. Baylor scored 14 and averaged 34. ISU scored 9 and averaged 30+. OK scored 28 and averaged 40+. KSU scored 17 and averaged 28.

Draw your own conclusions but it seems like a pretty good indicator that the Big 10 defenses lived up to their billing while the Big 12 offenses did not.
Yeah I mean that's definitely some good data. I think we could probably go back and find years where Big 12 offenses did great and Big 10 defenses did poor in regards to one single bowl game. But yeah good find!

Gitwitit

Dec 31, 2008
I still can't believe Iowa gave up 24 points to USC when Slovis only played half the game
They might have reached their season average if he played the entire game. 17 at half and he went out with 13 minutes left in the 3rd.

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018
Look at non conference games for comparison. In the bowl games, the only Big Ten team that allowed their opponent to reach their season average scoring was Illinois that gave up 35 to Cal. That tells me that the Big Ten defenses were not inflated. Ohio State gave up 29 to Clemson who averaged 47. Wisconsin gave up 28 to Oregon who averaged 39. Michigan gave up 35 to Alabama who averaged 45. Minnesota gave up 24 to Auburn who averaged 33. Iowa gave up 24 to USC who averaged 33. Those are all games where the opponents were held at least a td under their scoring average.

The Big 12 only had 1 team score their season average in a bowl game and that was Texas. Baylor scored 14 and averaged 34. ISU scored 9 and averaged 30+. OK scored 28 and averaged 40+. KSU scored 17 and averaged 28.

Draw your own conclusions but it seems like a pretty good indicator that the Big 10 defenses lived up to their billing while the Big 12 offenses did not.

Big 12 teams scored over the opponents avg ppg allowed on the season in every regular season non con game accept 3:

Kansas/Costal Carolina
WV/Missouri
Texas Tech/Arizona

I bet Big 10 defenses gave up over the opponents avg ppg more often than that.

TheBear

Apr 23, 2020
USC was down 27-17 when he was playing.

Yep but CyTwins and his minions have their own alternative reality where that didn’t count. They are masters at picking and choosing what does and doesn’t count so they can jump to massive conclusions. This feels like a good 100 post rally coming. He must have been saving his energy today.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Michigan beat Notre Dame 45 - 14. Didn't you (or some other clone fan) just use Notre Dame as an example of a top tier defense - that ISU played this past season? Does that outcome make you think differently of Notre Dame's defense....even after ND beat the clones 33 - 9?

ND was a really good team. They weren't elite by any means. They played Michigan in a rain storm and things kind of snowballed on them. It happens. Hell, iowa curb stomped a really good tOSU team a few years back that would have been in the playoff if not for that beat down. ND's other loss was a close one to a playoff caliber Georgia team.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
A second round talent at worst? I’ll take some action on that. Personally, I would be absolutely shocked if Purdy goes in the first round. He’s a second round talent at best in my opinion, and really more of a 3rd-4th round guy.

We're not the ones coming up with the mock drafts. Unless he has a bad year or a bad injury, he's right in the middle of the competition to be the 3rd QB taken. That's late first round usually. If he's the 5th one, that is probably 2nd-3rd round. So late 1st through early 3rd is a safe bet.

TheBear

Apr 23, 2020
USC was down 4 with the ball at midfield when he went out.

Yep and never scored again while Iowa scored several times after that. In the CyTwins fantasyland he is absolutely sure SC would have magically figured out how to defend Iowa when in reality they hadn’t really stopped Iowa the entire game.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Yep and never scored again while Iowa scored several times after that. I love that CyTwins assumes that USC was all of a sudden going to figure out how to defend Iowa when they hadn’t really stopped Iowa the entire game.
Dude you are absolutely obsessed with Twins lol. And no, USC probably wouldn't have stopped Iowa. However the game probably would've been a lot more interesting than it was had Slovis not gotten hurt.

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
I'm not here arguing what Notre Dame did. I'm talking about the Big 10. I think their defenses are very good. No question about it. I was just pointing out that an elite offense destroyed those great defenses.

Michigan had a great day on offense that game. They absolutely rolled the Irish. I pointed out Notre Dame's passing offense as being good, which it was. That game they only gave up 134 yards on 8 completions but 3 went for TD's. Rushing wise, Michigan ran the ball 57 times for over 300 yards. They wore them out lol.

Ohio St. was an elite offense. OU was an elite offense. Nobody else in the Big12 or Big10 had an elite offense.

The next tier down for the Big12 offensively put up good numbers because they play Big12 defenses. I mean ISU was #5 in the big12 offensive and they averaged over 32 PPG vs Big12 opponents. ISU managed 26 total points in 2 games vs top 20 defenses in Iowa and ND.

TheBear

Apr 23, 2020
Dude you are absolutely obsessed with Twins lol. And no, USC probably wouldn't have stopped Iowa. However the game probably would've been a lot more interesting than it was had Slovis not gotten hurt.

The way AJ and Chauncey were playing it was just a matter of time before the Iowa defense forced a turnover by the SC offense. With or without Slovis. Conversely how does a game get more interesting if the team that is behind doesn’t stop the other team from scoring?

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
He wouldn't start over Martinez at Nebby. McCaffrey and Milton at Michigan were among the best QB recruits in the entire country in their classes, sorry but Purdy's not starting over either of them. He's not starting over Coan at Wisconsin. Penix at Indiana is a total freak and is being projected as a first round pick when he comes out. If you think he'd start over Clifford at PSU, ok, but I don't. Hell who knows if he'd even start at Iowa, has the kid ever taken a snap from behind center in his life?

Purdy is good and a pretty ideal fit for CMC's system, but you need to take the blinders off.

Sorry, but recruiting rankings don't mean **** once you get on campus. Michigan and PSU with an actual GOOD QB would be in playoff contention. That's the main thing that is holding them back. Harbaugh hasn't had much more than a game manager since he got to UM. Martinez? That is just laughable. First off, he can't stay on the field. Second, he's just not that good...he might even get beat out this fall. Either you are trolling or just stupid. You guys always say that the NFL is the final judge on talent. But when ISU has a guy showing up in the first round on mock drafts, the recruiting services are a better judge. I don't think that I'm the one with blinders on.

Gitwitit

Dec 31, 2008
USC was down 28-24 when he got injured correct?
You are correct. They had scored and then recovered an onside kick and he was injured on the 1st play after the onside kick.

4 sacks and 8 TFLs makes it a painful day for USC qbs

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron