ISU Athletics Staff Member Tests Positive

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I just read that upwards of 80%(!) Of people who test positive show NO symptoms!

Use that information how you want, but I think it shows that just because certain people test positive they aren't necessarily in real danger. Transmitting it to others who would be in danger is the real problem, and I think that's an entirely different issue-- and much more manageable.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I just read that upwards of 80%(!) Of people who test positive show NO symptoms!

Use that information how you want, but I think it shows that just because certain people test positive they aren't necessarily in real danger. Transmitting it to others who would be in danger is the real problem, and I think that's an entirely different issue-- and much more manageable.

Everyone knows that. And, frankly, that is the big problem. Because at any one time there are likely lots of people that get it and as the virus runs through an area (lets say a football team), you have to isolate and not play everyone that is positive.

In general, I'm not especially worried about the team having someone who has serious issues with the virus (although this could come back to bite me), I AM worried about the team being able to keep the virus from spreading so that we can actually play a whole season with a relatively complete roster.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
again, that’s all find and good. But it still doesn’t answer the question about how football will be played.

There won't be a season if the standard is mandatory quarantine and isolation for every positive test. The standard for this disease has been set at crazy-high levels that simply aren't realistic to meet in a normally functioning society (not locked down).

At this pace, college athletics (and probably universities as a whole) will never be the same and many won't recover.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
There won't be a season if the standard is mandatory quarantine and isolation for every positive test. The standard for this disease has been set at crazy-high levels that simply aren't realistic to meet in a normally functioning society (not locked down).

At this pace, college athletics (and probably universities as a whole) will never be the same and many won't recover.

Cases are slowing down but unless there's just a huge drop off in the next two months I don't see how a fully functioning college football season happens even without fans.

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006

At least for Iowa, this is not correct. Current data posted on the state's website says 64% of cases tested positive did have symptoms. 11% were confirmed to have no symptoms. The rest either were unknown or are still too soon to know. This doesn't say how severe the symptoms were though.

https://coronavirus.iowa.gov/pages/case-counts

I think you have to make adjustments to policy based on data. If we have reason to believe that people who test positive can go back to the team (or in general, people going back into society) after a shorter time without infecting others, then we can adjust the policy.

But compare this other illnesses - if a player were to test positive for Influenza A they would probably not be allowed to practice with the team until they were no longer contagious. That's just practical - you don't want your whole team getting sick and reducing their ability to play well on the field. We know enough about those other diseases to say exactly when you aren't contagious anymore. I think as we learn more about COVID-19, then we can make more targeted decisions.

Reactions: mj4cy

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
So, that is 7.

4 Iowa State (sports not yet known).
1 Okie State football
2 Marshall football

It is probably worth noting that this news seems to be the result of testing that may have started on June 1st, not necessarily transmission related to students engaging in athletic department activities.

Anything to add to this list?

1 Okie State football
2 Marshall football

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
At least for Iowa, this is not correct. Current data posted on the state's website says 64% of cases tested positive did have symptoms. 11% were confirmed to have no symptoms. The rest either were unknown or are still too soon to know. This doesn't say how severe the symptoms were though.

https://coronavirus.iowa.gov/pages/case-counts

I think you have to make adjustments to policy based on data. If we have reason to believe that people who test positive can go back to the team (or in general, people going back into society) after a shorter time without infecting others, then we can adjust the policy.

But compare this other illnesses - if a player were to test positive for Influenza A they would probably not be allowed to practice with the team until they were no longer contagious. That's just practical - you don't want your whole team getting sick and reducing their ability to play well on the field. We know enough about those other diseases to say exactly when you aren't contagious anymore. I think as we learn more about COVID-19, then we can make more targeted decisions.

This of course is because many places, Iowa included are using a HIGHLY targeted testing approach, particularly early on. I'm not sure how it's changed with the increased testing, but for a while you had to pretty much have symptoms to get tested, with some exceptions. So for a vast majority of people getting tested, the outcomes were Symptomatic and positive or Symptomatic and negative. So, that 80% dualthreat pointed out would apply only where a swath of the general population were tested randomly. The method most places use, including Iowa, that is targeted would be irrelevant to determining how many people with the virus are symptomatic or asymptomatic. It would be more relevant to use Iowa results to see how many people are symptomatic due to COVID vs. other illnesses or factors.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa

1 Okie State football
2 Marshall football
OSU actually has 3 cases on the football team. They also told the incoming freshmen to not show up yet, which seems to be a tad over reactionary.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid

Can you link to that 80% source? The CDC put out 35% show no symptoms.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Can we keep this thread to the athletic related incidents? There are plenty of places to have the general Covid-19 conversation. Who am I kidding?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Everyone knows that. And, frankly, that is the big problem. Because at any one time there are likely lots of people that get it and as the virus runs through an area (lets say a football team), you have to isolate and not play everyone that is positive.

In general, I'm not especially worried about the team having someone who has serious issues with the virus (although this could come back to bite me), I AM worried about the team being able to keep the virus from spreading so that we can actually play a whole season with a relatively complete roster.

Iowa State University Super Spreaders has a nice ring to it.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Cases are slowing down but unless there's just a huge drop off in the next two months I don't see how a fully functioning college football season happens even without fans.

Plenty of people in the general public are not looking at the timeline in a very practical manner. I don't know exactly what it needs to be, but you probably take a targeted date for the first game, work backwards and need 3-4 weeks of camp, and work back from there to need a couple weeks from that for planning, notification of procedures, getting people on campus, etc.

For games to start Sept. 5 you probably have have cases really ramp down to very low levels by mid-July for sure. Maybe it will happen. Maybe schedules can be trimmed and revised to push that timeline back 2-3 weeks. Even if things stay on the current gradually declining "slow burn" like it seems to be most places, will that be enough to have a functional season?

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
I'm curious if those that are vehemently against football betting played this fall will watch the games or not. Seems like not watching/participating would be the easy answer, but I have my doubts that'll be the actual result.

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006
This of course is because many places, Iowa included are using a HIGHLY targeted testing approach, particularly early on. I'm not sure how it's changed with the increased testing, but for a while you had to pretty much have symptoms to get tested, with some exceptions. So for a vast majority of people getting tested, the outcomes were Symptomatic and positive or Symptomatic and negative. So, that 80% dualthreat pointed out would apply only where a swath of the general population were tested randomly. The method most places use, including Iowa, that is targeted would be irrelevant to determining how many people with the virus are symptomatic or asymptomatic. It would be more relevant to use Iowa results to see how many people are symptomatic due to COVID vs. other illnesses or factors.

You're right that Iowa's test sample is skewed. In general, data from all states in the US should contain a significant time period where tests could only be performed on people who had symptoms. In general, we haven't tested random sweeps of people, at least not in the US. Nearly all the testing data we have is based on people who go to get tested because they suspect they might have the virus. That is the nature of the testing data that we have. So if you say that 80% of people tested positive have no symptoms most people are going to assume that you are referring to the people who have actually been tested, not a hypothetical study group of people tested at random.

Iowa's data says at least 64% have symptoms. The CDC estimates that 65% will have symptoms. That is the data I know of, which strongly contradicts the 80% no symptoms number. If we have data that says today the positive cases are less likely to be symptomatic based on wider testing, then that's great. Or if there has been a study done that attempts to control for the bias in testing data we have. But, so far as I know we don't have that data at least publicly available.

And the point of this related to football - data shows that most people who tested positive do have symptoms. So, we can't just say it's fine for people to play even on a positive test because there's a low chance they'll have symptoms. If someone tests positive, they need to sit out until they're no longer contagious.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

1 Okie State football
2 Marshall football

Not that I've heard, but quite frankly if I was incharge at a school I wouldn't publicly announce it.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
You're right that Iowa's test sample is skewed. In general, data from all states in the US should contain a significant time period where tests could only be performed on people who had symptoms. In general, we haven't tested random sweeps of people, at least not in the US. Nearly all the testing data we have is based on people who go to get tested because they suspect they might have the virus. That is the nature of the testing data that we have. So if you say that 80% of people tested positive have no symptoms most people are going to assume that you are referring to the people who have actually been tested, not a hypothetical study group of people tested at random.

Iowa's data says at least 64% have symptoms. The CDC estimates that 65% will have symptoms. That is the data I know of, which strongly contradicts the 80% no symptoms number. If we have data that says today the positive cases are less likely to be symptomatic based on wider testing, then that's great. Or if there has been a study done that attempts to control for the bias in testing data we have. But, so far as I know we don't have that data at least publicly available.

And the point of this related to football - data shows that most people who tested positive do have symptoms. So, we can't just say it's fine for people to play even on a positive test because there's a low chance they'll have symptoms. If someone tests positive, they need to sit out until they're no longer contagious.

https://time.com/5842669/coronavirus-asymptomatic-transmission/

I don't know if I believe the 80% number but it's out there, and not just in Trumpistan.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron