Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Google the term "contractors are" and see what auto-fills.

(It's crooks and then scum.)

He works for you, but most contractors don't comprehend this.

What does the contract say?

cyson

Jun 24, 2007
I think the problem mainly stemmed from him showing up early and seeing my dad there talking and pointing things out. if he didn't know anyone came by I could have addressed it with him.
I’m guessing you’re correct. We’re you dissatisfied with the work prior to the old Man stepping in? Have a talk with Contractor. Let some of the air out of it. Tell him what you want. Not the end of the world.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
He isn’t working again until Monday? I don’t know many contractors that are not at least working Saturday mornings (usually most of Saturday) during the summer to make their money.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Did you tell him that it was your dad? Seems odd that he would be so upset about you showing his work to your dad.

Reactions: BCClone

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Somebody who is so defensive and gets antsy about people examining his work seems like someone that likes to cut a lot of corners and counts on the ignorance of his clients to not know any better.

LowOverhead

Jun 15, 2015
Was SE Iowa
A contractor’s work should be able to stand the light of day. A homeowner may have an idea for project and hire a contractor to complete that project. I don’t find it unusual for a homeowner not to be knowledgeable about construction details to invite parents, aunts and uncles or knowledgeable friends to stop by and examine the work. The homeowner may have been strapped for cash and had to use expensive materials. None the less there would be an expectation of quality workmanship. Too bad your dad left, a discussion with the contractor may have been helpful. Now it seems adversarial.

Non compliance with code? Not sure of the codes referenced. Again, to me that seems like a contractor responsibility. I’m sure the homeowner’s insurance or the contractor’s insurance would have expectations of work being compliant. The homeowner may find out when they later try to sell the house, an inspection may find those items and they might need to be corrected to complete the sale. Although drywall can hide a myriad of faults.

if you think your dad can be cool headed, I might suggest a meeting at your home with the contractor. Try not putting contractor on defensive. Pose discussions as questions, why was this done this way. Not, why isn’t this done right.

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
Couple of questions.....

How much work remains on this project?

Have all the materials been consumed?

From personal experience you don’t want to go the legal route (last resort due to the time, cost, dragging on while your home sits in disarray)......No fun at all, even if you win.

Best bet would be to find some middle or common ground and avoid making this adversarial while keeping in mind you are the customer in this transaction.

When meeting with the contractor, be clear on your expectations and where they weren’t met. Develop a range of acceptable potential solutions in your mind ahead of time that would meet your expectations and see if you can discuss your way into them when you sit down with the contractor.

If that doesn’t work...........sue em.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
You couldn't know this but someone that antsy about "critique" was always going to blow up.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
I have a general rule of almost never paying upfront for labor. You’re just asking for trouble.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I have a general rule of almost never paying upfront for labor. You’re just asking for trouble.

I've had to put money down for materials or prepay materials before, but I have never had to pay for labor before it was done. Made payments along the way on large projects, but never prepaid. The OP may just have paid for materials upfront and not be out much at this point. If someone makes you pay for labor upfront, I would probably look elsewhere.

Besides the fact that the PPP money was flowing so hard that businesses that were still working were pretty flush with cash.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Would probably try to at least work things out. Generally it is best for everyone to not involve lawyers. And it might be cheaper for you to walk if you can’t get things figured out. How did you find your Contractor? Had you seen any of his work? Checked out his background and stuff?

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
To be fair to the contractor, "best practices" =/= code. Best practices can go above and beyond code.

In a lot of cases with contractors you get what you pay for. There's a long list of things to check with that most people are unaware of BEFORE signing anything.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
And a general rule for me is to get money upfront i.e. skin in the game. Because although contractors get a bad name.....there are just as many customers who have no intention of paying when the job is done. Oh, you can sue them....but the ol "not done to my satisfaction" always wins the day. And for some....it will never be done to their satisfaction.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
His stuff is still here. I'm just ready to move on. I'll offer 1/3 paid for work compete, 1/3 for me moving on, and 1/3 back to me. See how amicable it can be
Meaning he keeps what you already paid him? He’d jump on that. You’re in a no-win situation.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
His stuff is still here. I'm just ready to move on. I'll offer 1/3 paid for work compete, 1/3 for me moving on, and 1/3 back to me. See how amicable it can be

You expect him to give you money back that you've already paid him? Good luck. He will probably want to keep it "because his commitment to your job kept him from lining up other work."