Best Places To Live Near DSM?

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Some departments have been eliminated. Financial troubles

I think this is generally the case with most small, private colleges. This will only be exacerbated if we see a significant economic downturn. It will become even harder to get folks to pay the higher tuition for the "small college experience."

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
My wife and I are planning a move back to the Des Moines area next summer. We have been browsing real estate listings for a few months now and one thing we are trying to pin down are towns/areas that we should be focusing on.

What are some of the best towns to live in around the Des Moines metro? What are some of the ones to avoid?

Here is our criteria:

1) We are old house lovers. So, we are looking for a home from 1900-1930. We are not interested in a new development or new house. Living in town (in a smaller town) or in the country is fine by us.

2) Needs to be within about a 45 minute drive (max) from West DSM/Urbandale, which is where extended family is.

3) Size of the town is not as critical. However, we are looking for a town that is healthy/vibrant. A town that holds events within itself or with neighboring towns would be nice. We love DSM, but don't want to have to drive into the metro anytime we want to do something fun. Fairs, festivals, etc in said small town would be preferred.

4) I will be working from home so no need to focus location on place of work. Proximity to the airport would be a plus, though.

5) We have kids that are just entering school age. While we don't need to have them in the best schools possible, we would like to be aware of any towns/areas that have notoriously bad schools. We are both products of the Iowa public school system, so that's where our kids will attend.

Winterset and Indianola are the two we've identified so far. What others should we be looking at?

I've been in Indianola for roughly 20 years, and I like it a lot. Big enough to have some options for restaurants and entertainment, but still pretty quiet. With the Highway 5 bypass, you can get pretty much anywhere in the metro in a half hour or less.

Reactions: throwittoblythe

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
People do maintain lawns, but the cop thing that was posted (coach was washing car) was what I tried to addressed. On the other hand, there are some lawns next block north that have more dandelions than grass. I think they have an ordinance that refers to lawns getting overgrown, but i am not familiar with the details. I was referring to the Sunday thing, and since I am not a regular at church, I do enjoy getting out on Sunday morning and doing some yard work, but nothing that would produce noise that could be heard beyond my immediate neighbors in the summer, just out of community respect. In the winter, it is ideal time to go out to HYVEE and surprise my wife with a cysmiley creation for the dinner table; as few people are there, most have been dragged to church by one spouse or the other, which is fine. Most, who know me, know I am not a regular at church, but other than an occasional mention years ago that I ought to choose one, never heard a negative word about it. My wife's congregation even prayed for me when I had my heart attack, and I went to her church the SUnday after I got home and thanked them for their concern. Also got hugs from the high school teacher and kids at there performance I was working with at the time as a volunteer. :):)

To BWRhasnoac:

yep, its a free country, you can be respectful of others or you can s**t on them; up to you. I got some hugs for being respectful of the effort the kids I was working with; when I made the effort to do what I said I was going to do; even tho I had the heart thing the previous week. All's well; that was 6 years ago!:)

I will jump in on the Pella Sunday conversation. In the early and mid-80's there was nothing open in Pella, nothing. At some point, Wal-Mart, when it was out by Happy Joe's, when it was out by Precision Pulley, and a gas station on the square were the only things open. Eventually fast food and all other gas stations followed.

Mowing on Sunday was very frowned upon by the community and was seldom done, although I don't think there was ever an official ordinance against it.

You are right though, it is way easier to assimilate there now as a non-native and/or Dutch resident than it has ever been.

It's a nice town that hides its trash well, has good food and some decent people if you know where to look.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
My only contribution to this thread is that I've been inside every single house and business in Prairie City, and after that I can say I wouldn't want to live there.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
My only contribution to this thread is that I've been inside every single house and business in Prairie City, and after that I can say I wouldn't want to live there.

I've heard the "personal service industry" is really suffering right now. I hope you're holding up okay.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Ames is the right distance, there are homes built in the 1890-1930. The Historic Old town district and south of campus are some real neat older homes. Too vibrant? Good schools, too.

cysmiley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2012
Had my weekly Bridge game with my 85 year old Pella buddy tonight.. She said if you come to town, she'll take you out to eat and tell you all about Pella since she has lived here all her life except when she was at ISU (class of 58, Pi PHI). She's quite a character LOL. So if you get this way, let me know and I'll put you in touch. Her late husband used to be CEO of Vermeer so she knows all the Pella secrets. LOL.

RLD4ISU

Sep 13, 2018
Otsego, MN
I've heard great things about Pella, but I've also heard it's tough to be an outsider in Pella. Menaing, the community so so strong that if you come from elsewhere and are not already part of the Dutch/E-Free culture, you struggle to get connected. Was that true in your experience?

No matter where you move to (unless you grew up there), you have the potential for it to be a little tough as an outsider. IMO the chances are greater in small communities.

We moved here in 2018. We heard many times, and for many years, from others in our community that Pella was an uppity community and unwelcoming. "If you ain't Dutch, you ain't much". We love the community. People have been extremely welcoming. Our neighbors are great. We do not have school age children, though have always heard great things about the public and private schools. The people/community overall takes pride in itself and it shows.

That said, there are areas in and around the community with HOAs or covenants. It depends what you're willing to deal with. Some HOAs restrict parking campers or boats in your driveway, determine the yard mowing rules, don't allow your garbage cans to be stored outside your home or won't allow a fence around your property (unless you have a pool). Not all HOAs here are the same and not all areas have them. We live in a a subdivision outside of city limits that does not have an HOA and the covenant expired quite a few years ago.

cysmiley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2012
No matter where you move to (unless you grew up there), you have the potential for it to be a little tough as an outsider. IMO the chances are greater in small communities.

We moved here in 2018. We heard many times, and for many years, from others in our community that Pella was an uppity community and unwelcoming. "If you ain't Dutch, you ain't much". We love the community. People have been extremely welcoming. Our neighbors are great. We do not have school age children, though have always heard great things about the public and private schools. The people/community overall takes pride in itself and it shows.

That said, there are areas in and around the community with HOAs or covenants. It depends what you're willing to deal with. Some HOAs restrict parking campers or boats in your driveway, determine the yard mowing rules, don't allow your garbage cans to be stored outside your home or won't allow a fence around your property (unless you have a pool). Not all HOAs here are the same and not all areas have them. We live in a a subdivision outside of city limits that does not have an HOA and the covenant expired quite a few years ago.

I think most of those Home Owners Associations are in the newer developments. We do not have one where we live near downtown, but as I indicated earlier, we do respect some traditions, but not because we are legally bound, or signed any agreement to own our house. Plus we have no fees other than taxes, which for an Iowa small community, are probably above average, but I have no data to compare, just guessing.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron