Best Places To Live Near DSM?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by throwittoblythe, May 26, 2020.

1. throwittoblythe

throwittoblythe Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Engineer
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ratings:
    +2,052 / 29 / -0
    I think this is generally the case with most small, private colleges. This will only be exacerbated if we see a significant economic downturn. It will become even harder to get folks to pay the higher tuition for the "small college experience."

2. CivEFootball

CivEFootball Active Member

Sep 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +50 / 7 / -1
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Sales and marketing
    A pineapple under the sea
    Ratings:
    +41,637 / 2,285 / -261
    I've been in Indianola for roughly 20 years, and I like it a lot. Big enough to have some options for restaurants and entertainment, but still pretty quiet. With the Highway 5 bypass, you can get pretty much anywhere in the metro in a half hour or less.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Macloney

Macloney Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2014
    1 mile from the phog
    Ratings:
    +3,882 / 369 / -20
    I will jump in on the Pella Sunday conversation. In the early and mid-80's there was nothing open in Pella, nothing. At some point, Wal-Mart, when it was out by Happy Joe's, when it was out by Precision Pulley, and a gas station on the square were the only things open. Eventually fast food and all other gas stations followed.

Mowing on Sunday was very frowned upon by the community and was seldom done, although I don't think there was ever an official ordinance against it.

You are right though, it is way easier to assimilate there now as a non-native and/or Dutch resident than it has ever been.

It's a nice town that hides its trash well, has good food and some decent people if you know where to look.

• Like Like x 1
  5. CyArob

CyArob Designator Of Dumb
    SuperFanatic SuperFanatic T2

Apr 22, 2011
    Staff Writer
    MN
    Ratings:
    +12,080 / 353 / -14
    My only contribution to this thread is that I've been inside every single house and business in Prairie City, and after that I can say I wouldn't want to live there.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. motorcy90

motorcy90 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Male
    Wind Tech
    Iowa
    Ratings:
    +1,127 / 168 / -117
    Norwalk. our house down there was literally right up fluer drive

7. mtowncyclone13

mtowncyclone13 Well-Known Member
    SuperFanatic SuperFanatic T2

Oct 10, 2012
    grundy center
    Ratings:
    +9,280 / 549 / -23
    I've heard the "personal service industry" is really suffering right now. I hope you're holding up okay.

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. StClone

StClone Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Ratings:
    +1,259 / 29 / -1
    Ames is the right distance, there are homes built in the 1890-1930. The Historic Old town district and south of campus are some real neat older homes. Too vibrant? Good schools, too.

• Like Like x 1
  9. cysmiley

cysmiley Active Member

Jun 30, 2012
    Ratings:
    +86 / 2 / -1
    Had my weekly Bridge game with my 85 year old Pella buddy tonight.. She said if you come to town, she'll take you out to eat and tell you all about Pella since she has lived here all her life except when she was at ISU (class of 58, Pi PHI). She's quite a character LOL. So if you get this way, let me know and I'll put you in touch. Her late husband used to be CEO of Vermeer so she knows all the Pella secrets. LOL.

10. RLD4ISU

RLD4ISU New Member

Sep 13, 2018
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    No matter where you move to (unless you grew up there), you have the potential for it to be a little tough as an outsider. IMO the chances are greater in small communities.

We moved here in 2018. We heard many times, and for many years, from others in our community that Pella was an uppity community and unwelcoming. "If you ain't Dutch, you ain't much". We love the community. People have been extremely welcoming. Our neighbors are great. We do not have school age children, though have always heard great things about the public and private schools. The people/community overall takes pride in itself and it shows.

That said, there are areas in and around the community with HOAs or covenants. It depends what you're willing to deal with. Some HOAs restrict parking campers or boats in your driveway, determine the yard mowing rules, don't allow your garbage cans to be stored outside your home or won't allow a fence around your property (unless you have a pool). Not all HOAs here are the same and not all areas have them. We live in a a subdivision outside of city limits that does not have an HOA and the covenant expired quite a few years ago.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. cysmiley

cysmiley Active Member

Jun 30, 2012
    Ratings:
    +86 / 2 / -1
    I think most of those Home Owners Associations are in the newer developments. We do not have one where we live near downtown, but as I indicated earlier, we do respect some traditions, but not because we are legally bound, or signed any agreement to own our house. Plus we have no fees other than taxes, which for an Iowa small community, are probably above average, but I have no data to compare, just guessing.

• Like Like x 1