Academic Calendar for Fall Semester

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
I've seen 4 schools (Notre Dame, South Carolina, Creighton, & Marquette) announce a schedule where they will start earlier than normal in August, take no Fall Break, and the Semester will then end around Thanksgiving. Wonder if ISU will do something similar?

Notre Dame:

Also Oklahoma released what they are doing in terms of Class sizes:

Last edited:

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Similar for Purdue:
https://www.jconline.com/story/news...g-24-start-adjusted-fall-semester/5201110002/

Purdue Provost Jay Akridge announced in a letter to campus Friday afternoon.

Akridge also laid out a fall academic calendar that would start on campus Aug. 24, with face-to-face classes ending Nov. 24 – in time for Thanksgiving – and then continuing remotely through a Dec. 7-12 finals week.

Akridge said the campus would not close after Thanksgiving and that residence halls would remain open – we simply will not have face-to-face instruction after Thanksgiving.”

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
ISU is planning the same start date for fall. There are talks of running classes until 10:00PM Monday-Thursday, and Saturday classes. There are talks of using Scheman and Hilton for classes so people can spread out.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
That's ******* nuts. Just make the class online. Nobody is going to huff their ass all the way across campus to Hilton for a class.
When I was at ISU I had to walk 2 miles to every class, uphill both ways. Depending upon the season it was either 108 in the shade, pouring down rain or snow blizzard with below zero windchills. EVERY DAY.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
ISU is planning the same start date for fall. There are talks of running classes until 10:00PM Monday-Thursday, and Saturday classes. There are talks of using Scheman and Hilton for classes so people can spread out.
Saturday classes for undergrads? I bet those would be real popular.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
That's ******* nuts. Just make the class online. Nobody is going to huff their ass all the way across campus to Hilton for a class.

How many rooms in Hilton are even fitting for a classroom? You can't just throw curtains around the court and concourse and call that acceptable.

And the extended hours/evenings/Saturdays thing: I guess that works if none of the students need to have jobs. Since so many do, that doesn't sound like a smart plan.

My contract expired, so they won't be asking me, but everything in this sounds poorly done so far.

Spam

May 21, 2008
Students expect a big tuition discount with online classes. Schools cannot afford that. I can see both sides.

And so we end up with weird solutions.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I had a final in Hilton. Can't recall the exact circumstances.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
How many rooms in Hilton are even fitting for a classroom? You can't just throw curtains around the court and concourse and call that acceptable.

And the extended hours/evenings/Saturdays thing: I guess that works if none of the students need to have jobs. Since so many do, that doesn't sound like a smart plan.

My contract expired, so they won't be asking me, but everything in this sounds poorly done so far.
The elementary i worked at my last few years converted their gym into classrooms with temporary dividers due to lack of space. it wasn't great but it would probably be better with college students.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Probably a really good idea to try and not bring students back after Thanksgiving. Maybe move big lectures dor some of the gen eds to virtual and keep recitations (is that what they were called?) In person

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Call me crazy but Hilton makes some sense to me. The huge lectures in Howe? With 400 students in them? Consolidate 2 or 3 of those sections into a single section with the professor on the video boards.

Fact of the matter is this is going to be a school year unlike anything Iowa State has ever faced. Solutions are going to come in ways that sound ludicrous but are the best that can be done under the circumstances.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
When I was at ISU I had to walk 2 miles to every class, uphill both ways. Depending upon the season it was either 108 in the shade, pouring down rain or snow blizzard with below zero windchills. EVERY DAY.

I once walked uphill both ways back in college. That was after a night at Paddy’s tho

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Part of the pressure is that the first day of class is the day after the State Fair is scheduled to end. I don't think ISU does this unless the Fair gets cancelled, and I don't think it will be cancelled.

Pretty much everyone I knew in school from a rural community was either personally involved in the Fair or covered for/helped friends or family who were.