Reading page one, NCAA seems ready to hammer Ku ...

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Does it really matter? UNC players admitted the classes were a fraud, everyone knows Addidias paid players at Arizona and KU. Nothing will happen and nothing new with the NCAA

Yeah, my sentiments too. Kansas has money to pay 'Dream Team" lawyers and they will smother NCAA lawyers.
What's pathetic is the KU defense has to claim Self and staff knew nothing of the Adidas payments to families.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Getting charged with lack of institutional control is pretty significant. Has anyone been charged with that in recent history? I assume UNC wasn't since they got a slap on the wrist. Well, more like a poke on the wrist.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-ba...3/syracuse-ncaa-scandal-explained-jim-boeheim

Boeheim got a 9 game suspension and 108 wins vacated for lack of institutional control. They were nailed for:

What is Syracuse being punished for?
Syracuse is being punished for three things:

• Improper benefits
  • Academic misconduct
  • A failure to enforce the school's drug policy
That investigation took 8 years. I wouldn't hold my breath on KU getting setteld any time soon. I think KU will drag this out for years to the point that the NCAA landscape will be so different that no one will care.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
https://publicaffairs.ku.edu/sites/publicaffairs.ku.edu/files/docs/NCAA NOA Reply FINAL.pdf

I'm getting the feeling that Ku is going to get hammered. And then they'll have to decide if they like UNLV years ago will take this matter to federal court.
Pfft. The NCAA is going to have a heck of a time getting most of this to stand up in court and make no mistake, that is where this is headed. To actually note Bill Self's attire in a promotional video shows how petty and absurd their case is.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Does it really matter? UNC players admitted the classes were a fraud, everyone knows Addidias paid players at Arizona and KU. Nothing will happen and nothing new with the NCAA
Arizona players get paid by Nike.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I agree it's headed to court. But the NCAA is not a 'state actor' rather an association, thus things like due process don't apply in how it administers itself. Ku joined the association and agreed to live by the rules. If the association finds it broke those rules, I'm not sure how a court overturns that judgment.

As to the UNC comparative, that doesn't work. The NCAA found its rules did not govern classes that every student had an opportunity to take. But here, buying players is right in the NCAA's wheelhouse.

Last edited:

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I agree it's headed to court. But the NCAA is not a 'state actor' rather an association, thus things like due process don't apply in how it administers itself. Ku joined the association and agreed to live by the rules. If the association finds it broke those rules, I'm not sure how a court overturns that judgment.

Winning cases that involved an dispute in an association governed by a contract or bylaws is very challenging. But the courts have been more and more inclined lately to rule against NCAA in many cases. The state actor ruling is from Tarkanian but that due process is about substantive due process rights (i.e. the state depriving someone of life liberty or property). However, there is still a question of procedural due process. And the courts have ruled there are other exceptions to the general rule they don't like to get involved in these association disputes. It will definitely be interesting to watch if it goes to the courts to see what the courts decide. I imagine this will be going on for years. I know NC State is fighting and I assume more schools as well. What could really force NCAA to settle these cases for less than they wanted is they may just be not able to defend all the cases at once because of resources .

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

Adidas didn't pay players at Arizona - they're a Nike school. Now, if I remember correctly, Nike did similar things at Arizona that Adidas did at Kansas.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
What could really force NCAA to settle these cases for less than they wanted is they may just be not able to defend all the cases at once because of resources .
Would that not also apply to Ku? The school's athletic finances are not exactly top tier presently, and they're in another $3 million legal entanglement with former football coach David Beaty. Also, courts rely on legal precedent, which in this case was set by Tarkanian et al; it would not favor Ku.

The Supreme Court ruled that the NCAA was not a state actor, and thus was not subject to the same sort of due process requirements as a governmental agency. The NCAA was not found to be sufficiently entangled with state universities, nor was it found that UNLV, a public university, delegated enough authority to the NCAA to make the association a state actor. Supreme.justia

Last edited:

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

You can't read or more correctly you're little more than an internal troll consumed with starting flames and taking discussions off-topic. i really don't understand why cf moderators don't stop your off-topic, inflammatory posts.
tenor.gif

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
It feels like they've been ready to come at KU for over a year now. Wish they would either do it or not do it instead of just releasing memos about how disgusted they are every 6 months with no action

Reactions: psychlone99

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

You can't read or more correctly you're little more than an internal troll consumed with starting flames and taking discussions off-topic. i really don't understand why cf moderators don't stop your off-topic, inflammatory posts.

Probably because they are just as sick of you...

Reactions: Halincandenza

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron