C-RTC & Recruiting

ACSlater

Nov 28, 2012
Speaking of Dresser’s Newsletter. He said his goal is to announce a very good 2021 recruiting class. Well 25 of the top 30 kids are already committed. The 5 that are left Van Ness, Valencia, Poulin, Kibe, & Schon have put out their top schools list and Iowa State is not on any of them. So hopefully they start landing some talent soon and not wait for too long.
On a more encouraging note they are on a couple very solid transfers and a few talented Juniors. But again you have to actually get them to campus and not just be a close runnerup. Here’s hoping for some good news in the next month or 2.

The way this staff has handled recruiting I wouldn’t count on it. It’s been an absolute cluster F$&@.

cloneraslin

Apr 11, 2006

And there’s another recruiting loss. This one to ex-cyclones Reader & Bono. I’m going to go out in a limb and say we don’t get the other 2 possible transfers either.

Boxer007

Aug 15, 2012
I’m hoping that Weiler wasn’t someone we were lumping into the “good news” category. I’m looking for someone other than a warm body. Have starting weights to fill.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
One guy told me we were looking at Weiler & another told me Weiler wasn’t a target.
Probably makes a difference if he wanted to go 184 or 197

ACSlater

Nov 28, 2012

And there’s another recruiting loss. This one to ex-cyclones Reader & Bono. I’m going to go out in a limb and say we don’t get the other 2 possible transfers either.

Guessing you will be called a hawk troll like me for being a realist. Sometimes you just can’t look at everything through cardinal and gold glasses.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Guessing you will be called a hawk troll like me for being a realist. Sometimes you just can’t look at everything through cardinal and gold glasses.
Guessing a 184 pounder with 1 year of eligibility left wouldn’t be much of a priority. Especially one that is no better than the 184 in the lineup already.

cloneraslin

Apr 11, 2006
He WAS being recruited. He wrestled his true freshman year at 197 and was a National Qualifer and made R12 (one win from All-American status). He could have went at either 184 or 197 and been an upgrade. Coleman is 6-0, 205+ right now. He’s also able to go 184 or 197 depending on who we have. Weiler was ranked top 10 most of season and would have been much more than a ‘warm body’.

Reactions: cycloneman003

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Wisconsin is a better lineup fit for Weiler, but calling him just a “warm body” is disingenuous. Good wrestler, would likely have been an upgrade at 84 or 97. Glad he’s a badger if it wasn’t going to be Iowa State

Reactions: cyputz

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
There are plenty of negative posts about recruiting on here yet you’re the only one who gets called a troll. You’re not a hawk troll because you’re critical of Iowa State recruiting. You’re a hawk troll because you’re obviously a hawk fan pretending to be an ISU fan to take jabs at our program.

cloneraslin

Apr 11, 2006
Here are some of the top uncommitted kids in 2021 and their list of schools.

#2 Shane Van Ness (133/141)
Princeton
Michigan
Cornell
Penn State
Rutgers

#8 Steveo Poulin (125)

Lehigh
NC State
Ohio State
Oklahoma State
Penn State

#24 Trey Kibe (174)
NC State
Virginia Tech
Stanford
Lehigh

#5 Cael Valencia (165-174)
Arizona State
Iowa
Michigan
North Carolina
Ohio State
Oklahoma State
Penn State
Stanford

#30 Nate Schon (285)
Rutgers
Pitt
Ohio State
NC State
Penn

These are the top uncommitted kids that are left in the top 32 of the #2021 class

Only big borders left that I am aware of we are actively recruiting....
#60 Conor Knopick (141)
#73 Blake West (125)

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa

Princeton
Michigan
Cornell
Penn State
Rutgers

#8 Steveo Poulin (125)

Lehigh
NC State
Ohio State
Oklahoma State
Penn State

#24 Trey Kibe (174)
NC State
Virginia Tech
Stanford
Lehigh

Arizona State
Iowa
Michigan
North Carolina
Ohio State
Oklahoma State
Penn State
Stanford

#30 Nate Schon (285)
Rutgers
Pitt
Ohio State
NC State
Penn

These are the top uncommitted kids that are left in the top 32 of the #2021 class

#60 Conor Knopick (141)
#73 Blake West (125)

BIG SIGH.

ACSlater

Nov 28, 2012

Princeton
Michigan
Cornell
Penn State
Rutgers

#8 Steveo Poulin (125)

Lehigh
NC State
Ohio State
Oklahoma State
Penn State

#24 Trey Kibe (174)
NC State
Virginia Tech
Stanford
Lehigh

Arizona State
Iowa
Michigan
North Carolina
Ohio State
Oklahoma State
Penn State
Stanford

#30 Nate Schon (285)
Rutgers
Pitt
Ohio State
NC State
Penn

#60 Conor Knopick (141)
#73 Blake West (125)
I don’t see Iowa state on any of there list our staff must already be working on the class of 2022. They are way ahead of the game!!!

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
It is comical at this point. We can't continue to downplay the failure in recruiting. After next year- a big time talent gap starts to appear

Reactions: ACSlater

BirdOfWar

May 3, 2010
Central Iowa
It is comical at this point. We can't continue to downplay the failure in recruiting. After next year- a big time talent gap starts to appear

Who is downplaying the failures in recruiting? Dresser himself brought it up in his last newsletter.

People act like just because everyone isn't complaining about it non-stop that we all have our heads buried in the sand.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
And everyone assumes we were recruiting Mitch Moore and I am not sure we were. It makes sense with the connection, but there are also flaws in his performances.

There might have been huge differences in amount of money that different coaches want to spend on Mitch. I am not sure he is worth as much now as what he was out of high school.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015

Dun, dun, dun..another one bites the dust.

Seriously folks... IF every time a guy transfers or commits elsewhere and you guys tell us about "another miss" and "our recruiting sucks" it's going to drive me crazy. Are you saying you think we should be giving $$ to Moore? He's only got two years left and is at 141. Maybe you aren't aware of this but our guy for next year (Parker) is pretty damn good. Then the following year we've got another stud (Gomez) that will probably bump up and fill in quite nicely. Heck IF Moore did decide to come here you same guys would probably roast the coaches for spending time and money focused on the wrong weight classes when we would only likely see him as a starter for one year.

As for Weiler I could say about the same thing... A R12 guy coming in with one year left at a weight that we've got a underclassman with a bright future. I wouldn't be surprised to see Coleman (or Broderson or Colbray) beat him next year.

As for posting a list of the last few top recruits from this year and pointing out that none of them listed ISU as their final choices... I'm sure ALL of the true ISU wrestling fans are quite aware AND admit that our coaches had more than a few swing and misses this past year. Things are NOT all sunshine and roses on the recruiting front... We get it! Thanks for educating us on this (over and over and over). Oh, by the way... go back 3 years and look at the Hawk board and how many posters wanted to run M* out of town because he couldn't recruit. A few wanted Terry sent packing for the same reasons and I'm sure some wanted a change at the top. Oh how the tide has turned over at EIU. But heck, if I'm understanding some of these posts correctly...There is NO way our coaches can turn the tide next year or the following year and it's helpful to point out every time another school has a recruiting or transfer victory.

I know, I know... "I've got my head in the sand" and "all of these posts are just pointing out facts" and "any posters that say anything negative towards the coaches will get flamed" in 3, 2, 1....

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron