brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I think the market will still tank again sometime before the end of the summer. It might not drop fast, but how stable could it be with mass unemployment, and the economy shrinking significantly. I think a lot of investors just assume things will go back to normal soon.

Maybe once all the really bad numbers start coming out. Heck I don't know. I guess I am glad I at least partially bought in. Over the long haul buying a few weeks ago vs now probably won't matter that much.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
i was day trading a bit too much during the ups and downs and am now significantly under where i was to start the year. i think next week i'll close most of my positions and go back to a simple four fund portfolio that worked for me for 10 years.

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
Sorry if this has been discussed, but has anyone looked at RTX lately? Seems like a pretty good value at 65 a share.

SayMyName

Jan 28, 2017
ABQ
And for goodness sake if you didnt sell the Tesla bubble... sell the echo.
You just absolutely hate to make money off this gem, don't you? Glad to see my "opposite Argent advice" investment approach continues to pay off in spades.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
You just absolutely hate to make money off this gem, don't you? Glad to see my "opposite Argent advice" investment approach continues to pay off in spades.

What people don't realize about Tesla stock is no one buys it because Tesla is a good company. They buy into some Utopia in the never-disclosed future where Tesla runs the world. It's trades at 400x earnings, doesn't make a profit, it's CEO is under investigation, etc., Yet the mindset is "Never sell, were going to the moon!"

It's hard to trade a stock when the people you're trading against are irrational. And lucky for the irrational ones, it worked out in their favor.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Government data just announced that 5.5% of mortgages are now in forbearance. And something like 7.5% of FHA loans. That is gigantic. That alone could wipe out the economy. One month might be recoverable but more than 2 months and I doubt those people ever catch up.

A big part will depend on what more the government does to help people and will also depend on if they can get jobs when things are better. There are a lot better avenues now for loan modifications as a result of the last crisis but that is dependent on them being employed again.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
What people don't realize about Tesla stock is no one buys it because Tesla is a good company. They buy into some Utopia in the never-disclosed future where Tesla runs the world. It's trades at 400x earnings, doesn't make a profit, it's CEO is under investigation, etc., Yet the mindset is "Never sell, were going to the moon!"

It's hard to trade a stock when the people you're trading against are irrational. And lucky for the irrational ones, it worked out in their favor.

Emotion trumps any rational thoughts.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Emotion trumps any rational thoughts.

It certainly does. And that's all you need to know to trade the stock market. Fear and greed. EXCEPT you have to be able to do the opposite, buy when everyone is hiding under their desks and then sell when they are partying like there is no end. It leads to the same patterns over and over again.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010

Actually it's been a great indicator stock for me. I haven't traded it but it lets me know how all these new retail investors (especially millennials) are thinking. Anyone who is buying this thing at... $757 / share is a sucker. But I moved a lot of money into the markets when it hit below $400. And I've been selling now for about a week. It will head below $200 again.

NateTheBoss

Nov 21, 2013
This should give everyone a clear indication of the true relationship between the stock market and the actual strength of the economy.

I’m sure it won’t. But it was obvious for the last decade, and this should confirm it.
The stock market doesn’t give a crap about the current state of the economy. It’s all about predicting the future.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Spike... People feel better about the next few months than I do.

That was odd, I had sold some apple stock near the open and was hoping that it would stay in that mid 270s range and I figured I'd buy it back. Made a decent profit so I won't complain, but was getting greedy.

I had bought some hilton shares yesterday. I have 500 bucks in there that I will just play with, I sold that early also for enough to buy supper tonight but could have picked up most of the weekend meals had I let it ride until end of the day.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Hey, remember when this thread was about stocks. Me too. Good times.

Reactions: LindenCy

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Government data just announced that 5.5% of mortgages are now in forbearance. And something like 7.5% of FHA loans. That is gigantic. That alone could wipe out the economy. One month might be recoverable but more than 2 months and I doubt those people ever catch up.

I’m waiting another week or so before I hop into REK.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron