***Official 2019-2020 Transfer Thread***

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I don’t believe he has a one year clock but rather a two year clock. Winning right away at this point is going to be difficult. If he stocks the cupboard with sit outs and then the 4 freshmen show promise then he can be all-in on 2021-22.
The easiest path for Iowa State to become successful again is with Prohm and this freshmen recruiting class. But he has to do it by massive development of some of these young guys because I think we are at a disadvantage in game-day coaching 60-70% of the time within the conference.

Agree 100% here. I think the window for immediate impact grad transfers is basically done. Now his goal should be adding the best sit out guys, maybe trying to get one PG for a backup role, and going all in on the year after. I think Pollard has made what the budget is going to be very, very clear by freezing salaries with no bonuses.

While the recruiting class is good, there is nothing to suggest any of the guys will be day one starters that are double digit scorers or anything. We need to seriously, seriously hope there is a Niang and a THT in the group.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I don’t believe he has a one year clock but rather a two year clock. Winning right away at this point is going to be difficult. If he stocks the cupboard with sit outs and then the 4 freshmen show promise then he can be all-in on 2021-22.
The easiest path for Iowa State to become successful again is with Prohm and this freshmen recruiting class. But he has to do it by massive development of some of these young guys because I think we are at a disadvantage in game-day coaching 60-70% of the time within the conference.

It's tough. The way I can just see this going is we get, say, Toppin and maybe another sit-out. We maybe pull one grad transfer. Personally, I don't think that roster can be competitive next year. I think we could see another year without the tournament and 20 losses. But I could see, much like this year, a few of the freshman showing promise and having some hope for their development coming into a sophomore year.

The question then becomes does the potential for the freshman, plus Toppin, plus Conditt and Jackson outweigh 3 bad years out of 4? Who knows.

The easiest thing to do would be have some success next year, but that just is becomming less likely by the day, it would appear.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
It's tough. The way I can just see this going is we get, say, Toppin and maybe another sit-out. We maybe pull one grad transfer. Personally, I don't think that roster can be competitive next year. I think we could see another year without the tournament and 20 losses. But I could see, much like this year, a few of the freshman showing promise and having some hope for their development coming into a sophomore year.

The question then becomes does the potential for the freshman, plus Toppin, plus Conditt and Jackson outweigh 3 bad years out of 4? Who knows.

The easiest thing to do would be have some success next year, but that just is becomming less likely by the day, it would appear.

I think that if you have Conditt (Sr.), Bolton (Sr.), Johnson (Sr.), Jackson (Jr.) and then five sophomores in Foster, Dubar, Blackwell, Walker and Toppin then you can say I gave him more than enough opportunity if you Pollard if he doesn’t make the NCAA tournament.
But this is a culture thing guys. Have to retain and develop. Lots of bad habits were created in 17-18 with that young group and those habits reared up in 18-19 even with the talent level. We need to see the returning players spending the time in the gym and the freshmen with have to lay the new foundation and culture for winning at Iowa State.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
If everyone was relishing how empty the arena was then it shouldn’t be hard for you to find a post saying it. The problem for you Cat is that you just throw stuff against the board with absolutely no evidence to support it.

didn’t you read any of the game threads where people were amused by how many empty seats there were?

didn’t you read people saying they would stop buying tickets to show JP?

I get it, you’re in agreement with them. That’s fine, and absolutely your choice.

just own it

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Herein lies the issue with Prohm's tenuous job security. Toppin would be a great add, and is a no brainer. But in all likelihood, he does nothing to make us better next year.

No he doesn't but that isn't the question it is simply if JT is worthy of a sit out scholarship.
Prohm wasn't using 4 scholarships on 4 GT's/JC's to play this year no matter what. DeJulius is the same situation, you would take both and keep scouting the portal for immediate help with the final two scholarships. Kier would go a long way to help next year.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
It was a lot easier to convince myself to not go to games this year despite having tickets. I never relished in it. If anything I was in awe that prohm and co was able to get some of the most loyal fans in the country to stay home on a Saturday afternoon.
Also, are we just supposed to stop being fans because potential recruits might read something on the Internet? Get out of here with that BS. This is a fan site and we participate in talk same as all fanbases.

It’s almost like you didn’t understand what you wrote.

and this is not the Iowa State fan base of old. People used to go if the team was good or bad. That stopped right around the time of Wayne Morgan.

This is another myth created by people that either weren’t there, or, heard about it from someone who was.

And if you don’t understand the difference between criticism and what was said on here this year, and in what you actually wrote in the post I’m quoting, then you never will.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Wasn't he behind Kira Lewis?

No Kira is a point guard and this guy is a shooting guard. However after researching this kid. It appears he is behind Jaden Shackelford who is a 4 star recruit and averaged 15 a game and is a really good player. Also behind John Petty Jr who was ranked 33rd out of high school, almost a 5 star recruit who averaged 14.5 a game. So his numbers may be a little low but it's not like Grill where we played him because we didn't have anyone else to play. I would take this kid in a second if we could get him. Hopefully with Alabama ties that Prohm has (Team manager in college) he can get this kid. Would be a solid 3 year guy.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
No he doesn't but that isn't the question it is simply if JT is worthy of a sit out scholarship.
Prohm wasn't using 4 scholarships on 4 GT's/JC's to play this year no matter what. DeJulius is the same situation, you would take both and keep scouting the portal for immediate help with the final two scholarships. Kier would go a long way to help next year.

He’s not going to be here after next year. I don’t think 15-18 wins and the freshmen showing potential will be enough for a large enough segment of the fan base.

he will hopefully get an opportunity somewhere else to leave and it won’t be messy. If he has to fire him, then it’s going to be a while before it comes back.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
No Kira is a point guard and this guy is a shooting guard. However after researching this kid. It appears he is behind Jaden Shackelford who is a 4 star recruit and averaged 15 a game and is a really good player. Also behind John Petty Jr who was ranked 33rd out of high school, almost a 5 star recruit who averaged 14.5 a game. So his numbers may be a little low but it's not like Grill where we played him because we didn't have anyone else to play. I would take this kid in a second if we could get him. Hopefully with Alabama ties that Prohm has (Team manager in college) he can get this kid. Would be a solid 3 year guy.

Good analyisis just to add a bit more. He was ranked around 100 coming out of HS just a year ago and has size thus there is talent that just needs to develop.
Alabama also just added two high level guards in Miles Primo, Keon Ellis and Jahvon Quinerly all 4 stars or higher coming in. The writing was on the wall that he was being recruited over.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Good analyisis just to add a bit more. He was ranked around 100 coming out of HS just a year ago and has size thus there is talent that just needs to develop.
Alabama also just added two high level guards in Miles Primo, Keon Ellis and Jahvon Quinerly all 4 stars or higher coming in. The writing was on the wall that he was being recruited over.

Exactly. Can't just look at some of these kids numbers and say no. You have to look at why they have those numbers. Is it because they are bad players or just sitting behind a great player. If I looked at Caleb Grill on the transfer market I would really question why we were going after him. His numbers are bad but he also had chances and was not sitting behind a great player or anything like that. I would take this kids upside over someone that averaged 10 points a game and was a starter at a mid major.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
It’s almost like you didn’t understand what you wrote.

and this is not the Iowa State fan base of old. People used to go if the team was good or bad. That stopped right around the time of Wayne Morgan.

This is another myth created by people that either weren’t there, or, heard about it from someone who was.

And if you don’t understand the difference between criticism and what was said on here this year, and in what you actually wrote in the post I’m quoting, then you never will.

I recall a lot of pretty thin crowds, by the standard being applied today, during peak Eustachy years.

He’s not going to be here after next year. I don’t think 15-18 wins and the freshmen showing potential will be enough for a large enough segment of the fan base.

he will hopefully get an opportunity somewhere else to leave and it won’t be messy. If he has to fire him, then it’s going to be a while before it comes back.

18 wins with that schedule and we’re in the tournament.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

Well considering the JP worries about the budget due to the hit of CV I don't think it is a given CSP will be gone if he doesn't make the tourney next year. Especially if the young team makes steps and looks like NCAA tourney team in 2021-22. I for one will still root for next years team regardless of the roster and still hold out hope CSP can turn it around with this new class of recruits.

Also it isn't like we want the program to go scorched earth if Prohm is let go and have entire roster leave. It would be nice to have some young players with potential who love being Cyclones to make the job easier for the next coach and have a shorter rebuild.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Well considering the JP worries about the budget due to the hit of CV I don't think it is a given CSP will be gone if he doesn't make the tourney next year. Especially if the young team makes steps and looks like NCAA tourney team in 2021-22. I for one will still root for next years team regardless of the roster and still hold out hope CSP can turn it around with this new class of recruits.

Also it isn't like we want the program to go scorched earth if Prohm is let go and have entire roster leave. It would be nice to have some young players with potential who love being Cyclones to make the job easier for the next coach and have a shorter rebuild.

That would be optimal. That the new recruits at least like it in Ames, so when they get a new coach, they will want to stay.

but just like what happened to prohm, you’re foregoing another recruiting class for the next coach.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I recall a lot of pretty thin crowds, by the standard being applied today, during peak Eustachy years.

18 wins with that schedule and we’re in the tournament.

During this whole shelter in place, I was talking to my old roommate. He too thinks I don’t hate Steve Prohm, nor Tom Manning, nearly enough.

but we were talking about what it was like when we were in school. One of the games I remembered was a little before us. It was terry woods senior night. Knew the family, so we went to support him.

that team was 9-16 on their way to a 10-18 finish. The place was packed. The crowd willed that group to a win that night.

cycub51

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2009
Somewhere Iowa
I think that if you have Conditt (Sr.), Bolton (Sr.), Johnson (Sr.), Jackson (Jr.) and then five sophomores in Foster, Dubar, Blackwell, Walker and Toppin then you can say I gave him more than enough opportunity if you Pollard if he doesn’t make the NCAA tournament.
But this is a culture thing guys. Have to retain and develop. Lots of bad habits were created in 17-18 with that young group and those habits reared up in 18-19 even with the talent level. We need to see the returning players spending the time in the gym and the freshmen with have to lay the new foundation and culture for winning at Iowa State.

I agree with the end of your post. The problem is that none of these guys are on campus for the foreseeable future so I don’t know how you flip the culture. One aspect that sucks in this whole thing.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
That would be optimal. That the new recruits at least like it in Ames, so when they get a new coach, they will want to stay.

but just like what happened to prohm, you’re foregoing another recruiting class for the next coach.

First class is tough. Starting in April.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
And they research social media to see the level of support they’ll get here

Iowa State fans support basketball in a Top 15 way in all of college basketball. When we suck, fans still show up. That matters a lot more than some abstract "RECRUITS LOOK AT SOCIAL MEDIA" comment.

Serious question: Are we supposed to pretend everything is good with the basketball program right now?

Reactions: ForbinsAscynt

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Agree 100% here. I think the window for immediate impact grad transfers is basically done. Now his goal should be adding the best sit out guys, maybe trying to get one PG for a backup role, and going all in on the year after. I think Pollard has made what the budget is going to be very, very clear by freezing salaries with no bonuses.

While the recruiting class is good, there is nothing to suggest any of the guys will be day one starters that are double digit scorers or anything. We need to seriously, seriously hope there is a Niang and a THT in the group.

I'm old enough to remember the impact that the Hoiberg, Michalik, Meyer class had, taking us from 12-19 to a second round barnburner loss to UK. It can happen.

Reactions: IowaAstro and isu83

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I'm old enough to remember the impact that the Hoiberg, Michalik, Meyer class had, taking us from 12-19 to a second round barnburner loss to UK. It can happen.
That was an odd couple years. They had a poor record in the Big 8, worse than the year before.

Different times, and different coach.

Orr had his faults, some similar to this staff imo, but how you lose and the charisma you do it with matters. It shouldn’t, but it does. Also, he had a lot more challenges in keeping a nascent ISU program consistently above .500 imo.

But I don’t believe we’ve seen the best from Prohm. I really think he could be good enough if he were to change his staff .

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron