Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
This annual contest by the Iowa Pork Producers Association (good CF partner) just announced its 2020 winner: Whatcha Smokin? BBQ + Brew in Luther. Unfortunately they won't get the immediate rush of people to try the winning entry, so hopefully that will happen later. https://www.whatchasmokinbbq.com/.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
We were thinking about a small trip later this year to the area so I'll have to put it on my list to check out along with the breweries around there.

Thanks for sponsoring CF Iowa Pork Producers!

edit: oh that's near us. I was thinking Luther College in Decorah.

Last edited:

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I'll be damned, there's a place called Luther, Iowa.

That actually looks really good.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I ate there once and thought it was real good. They get plenty of traffic for a small town so they're definitely doing something right.

Reactions: WhoISthis

J-Diggy

Nov 30, 2007
Ben there a couple times -- delicious. Especially like the option of having your brisket "fatty" or "lean". I'm sure its bad for me but fat is flavor....so good!

Reactions: Acylum

clone4lyfe

May 21, 2008
West Des Moines
Whacha Smokin is good stuff. Great fish on Friday's during lent also. Not the biggest place but they are always busy and have lines waiting for the fish Friday's.

The runner up, Moo's BBQ in Newton deserves some attention also. I voted in this contest and had a tough time choosing when it got to the finals and these 2 were matched up. Amazing food and some quirky menu items. Never had anything I didn't like there. I know they recently had a drunk driver slam through the side of their building (maybe the 2nd this has happened to them) so were trying to recover from that when this pandemic hit.
https://moosbbqnewton.com/

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
Whacha Smokin got second place in the Pork Tenderloin contest 2 years ago. I was one of the initial judges. Very good food there. The manager is extremely nice and explained how they went about making there tenderloin and breading. Very good place.

Also, in the top 3 last year for pork tenderloin was Big Al BBQ on the SS of Des Moines. I highly recommend trying it. It's smoked and then fried.

RealisticCy

Nov 2, 2014
Ames, IA
We live dangerously close to Luther, drive right by Whatcha Smokin on the way home from work. Definitely worth the trip; they are doing take out now due to COVID-19, hope they can make it through ok.

Pulled pork nachos are excellent, tenderloin is damn solid.....they have cheddar jalapeno smoked sausage that is incredible. Great selection of meats: brisket, smoked turkey breast, pork loin, smoked chicken wings......sides are good as well. Very generous portions.

Reactions: WhoISthis

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
We live dangerously close to Luther, drive right by Whatcha Smokin on the way home from work. Definitely worth the trip; they are doing take out now due to COVID-19, hope they can make it through ok.

Pulled pork nachos are excellent, tenderloin is damn solid.....they have cheddar jalapeno smoked sausage that is incredible. Great selection of meats: brisket, smoked turkey breast, pork loin, smoked chicken wings......sides are good as well. Very generous portions.
You are doing a good job of getting half of CF to break quarantine.:eek: