***Official 2019-2020 Transfer Thread***

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Gomez might be better in a situation where is not the obvious #1 option, but his numbers on kenpom against Top 50 and Top 100 teams are not very good at all. His shooting numbers are drastically worse against good teams.
I was wondering about that. Thanks for looking that up.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Our best identity under Prohm is to accumulate talent and setup a free flowing offense. I would love to have more of defensive identity but it is what it is at this point so we just need to get as much talent as possible.

Reactions: Javinegli

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
that possible gomez/buggs/bolton back court would be awful on defense, could you imagine how bad we will get beat glass...Also we better hope Johnson or 1 of the freshman turn into a stud

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Our best identity under Prohm is to accumulate talent and setup a free flowing offense. I would love to have more of defensive identity but it is what it is at this point so we just need to get as much talent as possible.

A free flowing offense isn’t really a team identity. I think Statefan is right about what they are trying to do. We are going to try and replicate Drew and Baylor.

Reactions: Statefan10

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Gomez might be better in a situation where is not the obvious #1 option, but his numbers on kenpom against Top 50 and Top 100 teams are not very good at all. His shooting numbers are drastically worse against good teams.

Probably has a lot to do with being 5”8 and the length that better programs can throw at him. Theoretically the 3pt line being moved back should alleviate some of those issues.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
A free flowing offense isn’t really a team identity. I think Statefan is right about what they are trying to do. We are going to try and replicate Drew and Baylor.
I agree. I am just saying that is the closest thing to an identity that we have right now.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

How can you say isn't an identity. It was the identity under Hoiberg, hence Hoiball, but now all the sudden it isn't an identity?

Can't have it both ways.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
How can you say isn't an identity. It was the identity under Hoiberg, hence Hoiball, but now all the sudden it isn't an identity?

Can't have it both ways.

Pace, space, mismatch exploitation and 4-5 shooters on the floor is a bit more intricate than “free-flowing offense”. You can’t have an efficient free flowing offense without elite shooting. People use the term fee-flowing offense when they don’t have a real identity.

Reactions: BallSoHard4Cy

Clyde4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2018
It is extremely unlikely that Prohm will be fired after next year. The chances may very well have gone from slim to none with the lost income from COVID-19.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
But do you fire Prohm this next year if we don't make the tournament?

With the cancellation of March Madness, and the possibility of no football, nobody is going anywhere for at least 3-4 more years.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Not if you had those two sitting out

It is extremely unlikely that Prohm will be fired after next year. The chances may very well have gone from slim to none with the lost income from COVID-19.

With the cancellation of March Madness, and the possibility of no football, nobody is going anywhere for at least 3-4 more years.

CW and Blum said the athletic departments, and this goes for all universities and not just Iowa State here, would be "broke" without football next year.

That would not start and end with college athletics if we are really going to be in a lockdown for 12-18 months, but that is for other threads.

Even before this COVID-19 stuff, I was not sure Prohm would be fired after next year. It would take an absolutely dreadful season to do that to him.

If we assume our roster in 2021-2022 looks like this...

Seniors -- Bolton, Johnson, Conditt
Juniors -- Jackson
The four incoming freshman will make that sophomore leap
+ maybe guys coming off redshirts from this cycle
+ whatever comes together for a freshman class

I have a feeling Pollard will give Prohm one last chance to prove it with a senior-led team like that one, rather than trying to make a change at that point.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Not if you had those two sitting out
Plus nearly everyone returning, hopefully!

Tank next year rather than fight for the NIT/CBI if it means we the next year we have Griffin, DJ, Bolton, Jackson, Walker, Dubar, Blackwell, Johnson, Foster, and Conditt! Add a defensive assistant, and we’re making a deep run.

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
Pace, space, mismatch exploitation and 4-5 shooters on the floor is a bit more intricate than “free-flowing offense”. You can’t have an efficient free flowing offense without elite shooting. People use the term fee-flowing offense when they don’t have a real identity.

A free flowing offense can be an identity if you have talent (elite shooters like you say) and execution (pace, spacing, exploiting mismatches like you say).

Problem this past year was talent and execution...there wasn't any...

Problem the year before (for the most part) was execution...when they had proper spacing and pace they were very good on offense, but when they didn't it was ugly.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Plus nearly everyone returning, hopefully!

Tank next year rather than fight for the NIT/CBI if it means we the next year we have Griffin, DJ, Bolton, Jackson, Walker, Dubar, Blackwell, Johnson, Foster, and Conditt! Add a defensive assistant, and we’re making a deep run.

That is one thing about college athletics that is so different than the pros.

Bad teams have viable paths in, say, the NFL or the NBA to get better -- tank, if you have the patience for it, and flip your useful assets to other teams to gain draft capital and cap space and then go out and use it to make yourself better. It works.

Bad college teams... just have to keep trying to do more of the same. Recruit, try and bring in some transfers, and develop yourself internally, despite these being slow processes. Plus, even if you get good players, you have a very limited clock on how long you can have them. They have four years, maximum, and the really good ones will move on to the professional leagues. Professional teams can build themselves around a stud player at a key position (e.g., PG or QB) for a decade or longer if they play their cards correctly.

College rosters are glaciers (except for with the players you really would like to keep) while pro rosters are sports cars in their maneuverability in comparison.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
CW and Blum said the athletic departments, and this goes for all universities and not just Iowa State here, would be "broke" without football next year.

That would not start and end with college athletics if we are really going to be in a lockdown for 12-18 months, but that is for other threads.

Even before this COVID-19 stuff, I was not sure Prohm would be fired after next year. It would take an absolutely dreadful season to do that to him.

If we assume our roster in 2021-2022 looks like this...

Seniors -- Bolton, Johnson, Conditt
Juniors -- Jackson
The four incoming freshman will make that sophomore leap
+ maybe guys coming off redshirts from this cycle
+ whatever comes together for a freshman class

I have a feeling Pollard will give Prohm one last chance to prove it with a senior-led team like that one, rather than trying to make a change at that point.

Wonder how many teams will bail from the Pac 10 if they lose out all that revenue. Then have not even close to the amount coming in as big Universities like Big 12 and big 10 and the rest. I feel like a couple would bail on the Pac 12. Will be interesting.

BTW I am in favor of the tanking if we can get two big time sit out transfers.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Wonder how many teams will bail from the Pac 10 if they lose out all that revenue. Then have not even close to the amount coming in as big Universities like Big 12 and big 10 and the rest. I feel like a couple would bail on the Pac 12. Will be interesting.

BTW I am in favor of the tanking if we can get two big time sit out transfers.

Bailing from one conference to another is not going to matter when nobody has any money. It is not like the Big Ten or SEC is going to do better here.

The old rules and concerns of the pre-covid era are distant memories now.

CW and Blum said, "This is like the Big 12 Missile Crisis, but instead of being aimed at a handful of northerly Big 12 schools, this is aimed at everybody."